No announcement yet.

Loading your boat onto the trailer........-gctid364358

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never power on, a few years ago had to help get a boat out of the bed of a pickup. Seems he hit the throttle while standing and zing, up and over it went.I back my trailer down to where the water just hits the top of the fender covers, and have side guides as i load by myself most all the time. Take a long line, pull it up on the trailer and then hook it up. Always centered and easy.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/670437=26018-OurBay.jpg[/img]

Comment

Skygazer wrote:
      Chris,

I understand (no I don't really) that many of the ladies aren't comfy driving the boat or the tow rig with the boat. I hope it least all the gals know the basics, just in case. You want to be prepared for anything. Not good to be out on the water and have an situation come up where she is required to take over either of the wheels and then is not confident taking over.

Just sayin...be safe ´ÿè
      I have her fairly comfortable on how the boat operates and I make her navigate around the marina and some in open water for exactly the reasons you list. Also trained her on the radio and the MMSI to make a distress call as well as how to call Vessel Assist / Boat US. These things she is getting better at with each time we go out.

Driving the boat at the ramp or driving the truck and trailer (especially backwords) isn't going to happen. As much as I would like her to learn some of that I know that she would stress out at just the thought of it.

Comment

My kids are away at University and my wife doesn't care much for boating so I find myself boating and fishing mostly alone. I have the launch and retrieve process as quick and efficient as I possibly can, alone.

I've to climb unto the trailer tongue and over into the bow to launch while my rig remains on the ramp and the same when retrieving and if the ramp is not steep enough,it makes it a bit harder to do without power loading and powering off the trailer as I sometimes cannot get the trailer deep enough. What are members' thoughts on bunk slicks? Do you think this would make launching and retrieving significantly easier?

Comment

I never power load! Many have said to get the bunks wet as it makes them slicker. Also, a spray of WD40 on the bunks really helps and prevents the boat from sticking to the bunks after it dries making launch a breeze as well.

Ken

Comment

Danny wrote:
            Tony,

Mostly the same .

Except I don't power on at all, go in a little deeper, and just the winch for the last bit.
            +1

Comment

JimB CA wrote:
              I never power on, a few years ago had to help get a boat out of the bed of a pickup. Seems he hit the throttle while standing and zing, up and over it went.I back my trailer down to where the water just hits the top of the fender covers, and have side guides as i load by myself most all the time. Take a long line, pull it up on the trailer and then hook it up. Always centered and easy.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
              Ditto. Works like a dream. Never have to power onto the trailer. I launch and retrieve myself ALL the time. 20 ft rope, and side guides are all you need.

Comment

its interesting reading about how everybody discourages powering onto the trailer and yet the few boat dealers I've been to in FL during the demo actually show you how to power onto the trailer and say thats what you should do...

as a new/novice boater, unless I came here I'd never know that powering on is not a good idea.

Comment

Davem2421 wrote:
                  its interesting reading about how everybody discourages powering onto the trailer and yet the few boat dealers I've been to in FL during the demo actually show you how to power onto the trailer and say thats what you should do...

as a new/novice boater, unless I came here I'd never know that powering on is not a good idea.
                  Bass boaters do it all the time. I guess they have tons more experience.

I have never power loaded. More things can go wrong when you power load. Not much can go wrong if you crank it up the trailer. Also the wash from the thrust of the prop will create pot holes in the ramp by blowing out the river bed at the ramp. (unless the ramp is concrete)
                  Gregg
                  2006 225 BR
                  XT Package
                  5.0 MPI
                  Alpha I Gen II
                  39.41130 N
                  76.35131W

Comment

I don't think power loading should be discouraged it is just another way of loading, the comments here suggest that in some areas you are not allowed to due to local regs which you should respect.

Most ramps we use are concrete so the wash is not a problem, also when I power load the leg it trimmed up so the wash is going up not down.

I have seen the videos of boats on the back of trucks but it is like driving your car out the other side of your garage, do the wrong thing and bad things will happen. I do agree if you are winching it would be pretty hard to stuff it up mind you....

Comment

I have a 175 with a Karavan trailer that has bunks. Is it possible to switch the bunks to rollers? What would be involved?

Thanks,

Kent

Comment

Macca wrote:
                        Most ramps we use are concrete so the wash is not a problem, also when I power load the leg it trimmed up so the wash is going up not down.
                        The trim doesnt matter much. Even if your prop were pointing straight up, something needs to fill the bottom as water is pushed up. I mean, you are not creating vacuum, right? Power loading creates currents that displaces materials. Depending on the ramp it may not make much difference. If the ramp is long enough, than any displacement will be so deep that nobody will ever care about. That is, until http://"http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fr... down by a lot...
                        Rafael Figueira
                        1998 Bayliner Capri 1800 LS

Comment

I also never power onto the trailer.

The wash from your prop can cause all sorts of damage. Debris can be washed in and around the ramp. Concrete will weaken under water over the years and lumps can be broken off. concrete lumps, dust and other debris can end up getting sucked into your drive. The list goes on and the general consensus is:

Just don't power load.

Its not hard to shut the engine off and drift onto your bunks. Often times the boat will "stick" well enough for you to simply jump off the bow (with line in hand) and hook up the winch.

Comment

Interesting read.

I power load every single time!! Hmmm, maybe I won't anymore. But im not thrusting much at all when doing it, just a tiny shot a couple times to get the last foot or so to be able to hook up the safety chain. Then I hook up the winch line and winch a little bit until it is pretty hard to winch. then I drive out and when on level ground i winch the rest of the way. It takes everything I have to winch it all the way when it is still in the water, and I don't want to break anything on the winch.

It seems most people on here don't have to put their trailer in very far to get the boat on. I have to have my fenders and rub pads at least a few inches or more under water, and even then it doesn't glide on far enough to hook up the safety cable. That is when i give it a couple easy shots of the throttle to get a few more inches. Plus I grew up watching everyone do this.

Comment

If you can't winch the boat up to the bow stop on the ramp then you don't have the trailer in far enough.

Comment

I'm new to the boat world, I have a new 185. My first outting I had a friend walk me through the power load and I hated it. It was a windy day and he needed to take a few tries to get lined up straight. I back in normally enough to dunk the bunks than pull ahead a bit so the the first foot of the bunks are out. Than pull the boat up with a rope and winch the last 2-3 feet. I've had no issues on any ramp with it being to hard to winch. So I'll continue to do it this way till I get a large enough boat that I can't I suppose. Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X