Ski Pylons and Tubing-gctid363981

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ski Pylons and Tubing-gctid363981

Just bought a new 170 OB with a ski pylon. A few days after getting the boat I noticed that the ski pylon has a warning about not using the pylon for towing tubes and inflatables. Went to the Attwood website and their concern is that the towable might dive underwater and stress the pole and damage the boat. I e-mailed Bayliner but haven't heard back. Since I intend to use the ski pylon to tow a tube I am wondering about the safety of doing this now.

This seams silly, we tow biscults all day on the factory ski tow at the back of our 185 inboard. In fact I have towed 6 kids around, I have never had a biscult go under...They are full of air so tend to want to pop all the time when they fall off (Which is my job..Getting them too)

We make ski ropes in my business, the break load of your average 6mm tow line is about 300kg before the splice or knot. I think you will find that your rope will break before you do any damage to a ski pole.

We had an old wooden toboggan many moons ago which when upside down would head straight to the bottom, this broke our ropes many times on a ski pole. We also had a 120kg guy we used to tow on skis, he managed to bend the pole after a few months.

This sounds like *** covering rather than common sence to me, as long as you pole is secured well with support top and bottom you should be OK.

Comment

I believe many wake towers have the same warning as well. Although I see lots on the lake towing inflatables with them and I am guilty as well.

Comment

I wouldn't pull a tube with a pylon. I had one in our old 18 footer and after a year of wakeboarding, it had warped the floor a bit (floor was in good shape). I would imagine that the tube would pull much harder. They go under water some times and it almost seems like the rope will break.

Comment

I have a detachable ski pylon on my 1802, and have pulled both skiers and tubes for years, mine mounts in the O/B engine well. As the boat speed picks up I have had tubes go airbourne on me.

Comment

Working...
          X