Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boat Ramps-gctid363908

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Boat Ramps-gctid363908

    Just took the boat out today, when we got there there were alot of people there . Is it only our boat ramp or does everyone have this problem. The problem is people don't ever seem to know how to launch there boats, or retrieve them, They put coolers etc. on there boats on the ramp, they forget there tie down straps. Have dead batteries, I guess you no what I mean. But it seems to happen all to often. My favorite is the boat that is sideways on the water at the edge of the ramp and 3 people trying to pull it straight.

    #2
    Typical day at the ramp in my place except my ramp has 8 lanes.

    mullhaupt wrote:
    Just took the boat out today, when we got there there were alot of people there . Is it only our boat ramp or does everyone have this problem. The problem is people don't ever seem to know how to launch there boats, or retrieve them, They put coolers etc. on there boats on the ramp, they forget there tie down straps. Have dead batteries, I guess you no what I mean. But it seems to happen all to often. My favorite is the boat that is sideways on the water at the edge of the ramp and 3 people trying to pull it straight.

    Comment


      #3
      mullhaupt wrote:
      Just took the boat out today, when we got there there were alot of people there . Is it only our boat ramp or does everyone have this problem. The problem is people don't ever seem to know how to launch there boats, or retrieve them, They put coolers etc. on there boats on the ramp, they forget there tie down straps. Have dead batteries, I guess you no what I mean. But it seems to happen all to often. My favorite is the boat that is sideways on the water at the edge of the ramp and 3 people trying to pull it straight.
      Yep, especially early in the season. Three ways to deal with it. Get frustrated as you wait longer than you should at the ramp. (Mostly what I do.) Sit back and enjoy the chaos and foolishness of others. (Sometimes what I do.) Or offer to help when you can without getting in the way and being a pain in the a$$. (What I should do more often.)

      Comment


        #4
        Is that I try to make sure I don't have plans after boating or any hard-time for meeting someone else on the lake, that way I'm never really in a rush. If I wait another 5min it doesn't make me late for anything so I'm less likely to get frustrated. Like the last poster, it's probably better to offer help, but that doesn't happen as often as it should, lol.

        Comment


          #5
          You definitely get your patience tested at public ramps.

          I don't use public ramps very often anymore for a number of reasons, but what I used to do is get in line, take a minute to get my boat fully ready*, then go help each guy ahead of me.

          Not everybody would accept the offer of help but most would. And if the owner seemed to be the receptive type, I would offer a pointer or two. You know - like, "hey, I've had good success by doing xxxx. Have you tried that?" Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Even if they never learn, by having an extra set of hands on shore it helps the line move along.

          Comment


            #6
            mullhaupt wrote:
            Just took the boat out today, when we got there there were alot of people there . Is it only our boat ramp or does everyone have this problem. The problem is people don't ever seem to know how to launch there boats, or retrieve them, They put coolers etc. on there boats on the ramp, they forget there tie down straps. Have dead batteries, I guess you no what I mean. But it seems to happen all to often. My favorite is the boat that is sideways on the water at the edge of the ramp and 3 people trying to pull it straight.
            After I got my Bayliner last year, and because I am a native Rhode Islander and was unfamiliar with the ramps and associated etiquette at the Wrightville Beach ramp. So I drove down there one day to scout and watch. Everything you mentioned and more was going on occasionally. What impressed me was watching the smooth efficiency of tw-person and even solo launchers who were courteous of the need to get clear quickly for the next person and wasted zero time. So I made notes and rehearsed at home. Still, I wanted to find someplace a little less hectic for my first launch into the ICW. After making some inquiries, I found a very quiet state park nearby that had wonderfull uncrowded facilities and was only $5. Now I use whatever is close by and try to be as efficient as possible.

            Perhaps there is an alternate low-cost pay ramp near you?

            Comment


              #7
              Watching the boat ramp sometimes is half the fun! I have seen people take 45 minutes to launch or retrieve a boat. Best plan we had was that the boat was ready and prepped before we were at the "staging" point. All we had to do was drop and go. We were off the ramp within 5 minutes, load time was usually 5 minutes as well, then cleared the way for others to move in. I reallyt love it when people pullthe boat just out of the water then stop and start doing things. NO you do this off the ramp so others can use it, it used to drive me absolutly nuts. I am so glad I have a slip now

              Comment


                #8
                maxximus wrote:
                If I wait another 5min it doesn't make me late for anything so I'm less likely to get frustrated.
                +1 Boating is supposed to be fun and relaxing. If you get frustrated because of 5 or 10 minutes, there is something wrong.

                Plus, most of the people getting in trouble like that are good natured. At least that has been my experience. When they act in anger, cursing around, it's because they are embarrassed and upset their batteries are dead, or they cant maneuver the boat and it's sideways. I just let them have their space, go to another finger, or get out of the way quickly. No need to get upset.
                Rafael Figueira
                1998 Bayliner Capri 1800 LS

                Comment


                  #9
                  A few years ago, I got my boat all set to launch, well away from the launch site. Then, I started to head for the ramp, getting ready to turn around so I could back down, and this guy pulls right in front of me who was no where near ready. I got absolutely livid and shot my mouth off. Then, all the rest of the day, I felt like a poop head.

                  So now, I just sit and wait, without saying a word, and watch the idiots make fools of themselves.

                  I love it when they get their boat launched and get their vehicle parked, then want everyone to get out of the way when they realize they forgot to install their plug.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Butchrose's strategy made me think of similar one... If you want to see how to launch and haul REALLY smoothly, look for a nearby bass or walleye tournament and watch those guys. They launch in less than 2 minutes and retrieve almost as fast.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      2859er wrote:
                      Yep, especially early in the season. Three ways to deal with it. Get frustrated as you wait longer than you should at the ramp. (Mostly what I do.) Sit back and enjoy the chaos and foolishness of others. (Sometimes what I do.) Or offer to help when you can without getting in the way and being a pain in the a$$. (What I should do more often.)
                      +1

                      Comment


                        #12
                        whiskywizard wrote:
                        Butchrose's strategy made me think of similar one... If you want to see how to launch and haul REALLY smoothly, look for a nearby bass or walleye tournament and watch those guys. They launch in less than 2 minutes and retrieve almost as fast.
                        +1 and they are ususally solo! Pretty impressive.

                        The oops I forgot the plug after parking is also CLASSIC. Always entertaining when someone yells, "WE ARE SINKING!!!"

                        Comment


                          #13
                          My first rule is also 'Don't be in a hurry.' Easy when I am alone but I try to keep this attitude no matter what mood the kids or Admiral are in to ensure safety for everyone and everything.

                          I have launched with the tie downs still on. After huffing a puffing to get the boat pushed off realized the problem when I saw that the trailer was floating up off the ramp. Fortunately not a very busy day and I didn't catch anyone laughing at me.

                          It almost never fails that while I am parked to the side getting the boat prepped some guy with his whole family pulls right past and backs to the edge of the ramp and then starts figuring out where everything needs to be in order to get in the water. Our ramp has 6 lanes and doesn't get overly crowded so it is easy enough to pass them by in another lane and give a friendly wave as we pull away and they are arguing about who left the cooler at home.

                          On the way in I'll pull off to the side if it is crowded at the ramp and wait till it slows down. One time as I was pulling in it was way more crowded than usual. As I pulled aside the guy behind me asked "Are there strippers over there today? Never seen this many people here before."

                          Comment


                            #14
                            The lakes we go to don't have ramps so you can pick your spot and back in, hop out of the car and jump into the boat, back off the trailer then you are away. If you are lucky you might see 4 or 5 other boats out on the lake but normally you just go find a nice bay to yourselves.

                            Stress free boating.......

                            Comment


                              #15
                              ButchRose wrote:
                              After I got my Bayliner last year, and because I am a native Rhode Islander and was unfamiliar with the ramps and associated etiquette at the Wrightville Beach ramp. So I drove down there one day to scout and watch. Everything you mentioned and more was going on occasionally. What impressed me was watching the smooth efficiency of tw-person and even solo launchers who were courteous of the need to get clear quickly for the next person and wasted zero time. So I made notes and rehearsed at home. Still, I wanted to find someplace a little less hectic for my first launch into the ICW. After making some inquiries, I found a very quiet state park nearby that had wonderfull uncrowded facilities and was only $5. Now I use whatever is close by and try to be as efficient as possible.

                              Perhaps there is an alternate low-cost pay ramp near you?
                              Thats what I did when I first learned, I watched everyone for a hour or so tried to give myself some hints, then went to the ramp on a week day after work and tried it, First I went to a school parking lot to see how the trailer handled though, Cause each trailer turns a little different. I got very good after a few launches and I new to load the boat before ever getting to the ramp, got the cooler, towels etc, boats straps off then head to the ramp so it can be a quick journey back to the lot, usually takes me 4 to five minutes when Im by myself maybe 3 minutes when I have the crew with me, Now I love going when the lake is rough its a great challenge and a game for me to put the boat on the trailer after a days out We have a 6 boat ramp so they say but I only see 2 boats on each side of the dock

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X