battery regulations-gctid360603

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery regulations-gctid360603

I'm looking to add a second battery, there is room for a second one but not with battery boxes. What are the rules? Do they just need to be secured so they cannot move or do they have to be in one of the boxes?

Secure so they do not move in rough water, and covered so nothing can fall on them and create a short/sparks.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Check with your states DNR. If your not using a battery box and lid, then both post need to be covered with post covers and the battery will sit on a plastic plate and be tied down with a strap.

If you buy a double post battery, then both post on each side need to be covered also. They make all sorts of different sizes and shapes to fit your needs.

Roger:arr
      2001 Maxum 3000 SCR
      Twin 5.0L w/ Bravo 2

Comment

Okay after some digging today I found that PA boat commisions relation says "Secure and Covered" and then I found the USCG recreational regulations say this.

"Batteries - Must be secured so they cannot be moved more than 1" in any direction; terminals must be protected so that metallic objects cannot contact ungrounded terminals (positive battery terminal); and be vented to permit the discharge of hydrogen gas. Batteries cannot be installed directly above or below a fuel tank, fuel filter or fuel line fitting."

and I found the USCG boat manufacture's regulations.

http://www.uscgboating.org/regulatio...al_part3f.aspx

Since I dont have room for two boxes and I can't seem to find a dual group24 tray, I'm going to have to get a dual group 27 tray and modify it to fit and strap them down. I'll have to come up with something to cover, maybe two group 24 box covers modified a little would work, or a sheet of thick rubber would do too I think.

Comment

mrbigsea wrote:
          If your not using a battery box and lid, then both post need to be covered with post covers and the battery will sit on a plastic plate and be tied down with a strap.
          qbayle wrote:
          "Secure and Covered" and then I found the USCG recreational regulations say this.

"Batteries - Must be secured so they cannot be moved more than 1" in any direction;

terminals must be protected so that metallic objects cannot contact ungrounded terminals (positive battery terminal); and be vented to permit the discharge of hydrogen gas.
          Follow this, and you should be OK.

qbayle wrote:
          Since I dont have room for two boxes and I can't seem to find a dual group24 tray, I'm going to have to get a dual group 27 tray and modify it to fit and strap them down.
          Double check this, but I'm not sure that the box is mandatory.

Strapping or securing them is.... and protecting the POS connections is.

I'm not sure if this means the box "cover" must be used in order to meet the requirement.

See if something along the lines of these (in lieu of the box covers) would meet the requirements.

Now you just need to learn how to cable these and separate them via an MBSS.

Keep #1 in reserve... use #2 for what would be your "house loads".

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Qbayle,

I don't have to much to add to the battery discussion, but I do have a suggestion: Anytime you ask this type of question, make sure you include relevant boat information: Year, model, drive type, etc. Many of us include it in our signatures.

Knowing what boat you have can really help everyone answer your questions.

Comment

Paul from Hamburg wrote:
              Qbayle,

I don't have to much to add to the battery discussion, but I do have a suggestion: Anytime you ask this type of question, make sure you include relevant boat information: Year, model, drive type, etc. Many of us include it in our signatures.

Knowing what boat you have can really help everyone answer your questions.
              If I could find where to add it to my signature in my profile I would but I cant seem to find it.

Comment

qbayle wrote:
                If I could find where to add it to my signature in my profile I would but I cant seem to find it.
                LOL, okay took another look and found the signature setting.

Comment

Working...
                X