Review of 1995 3988 Motor Yacht

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review of 1995 3988 Motor Yacht

I purchased this fine Bayliner in 2015 and truly enjoy the amenities it provides. Dual staterooms, showers and one with a tub enclosed in glass. It is the perfect cruising boat for my wife and I. I did't expect the fuel economy to be as good as it is. I normally hit plane around 1,500 rpm with the twin hino 250hp diesels and cruise from 1,700 to 2,400 rpm with 3,000 being WOT. So, my average cruise speed tides considered is about 12 - 16 knots at these rpms. I've been able to hit 20 knots WOT on a good day. However, the great news is that regardless of my cruise speed indicated above, I average 4 gph! That is fabulous and with a 300 gallon capacity gives me cruise range of 1,000 miles with a 10% reserve. The only time I open the boat up is simply to check to ensure I'm getting maximum rpm based on the cleanliness of the hull and overall engine performance. I find parts for this in very unique places since some have been discontinued and yet they are out there if you know where to look...

Thanks Bob for the review and couldn't agree more. I am amazed at the economy of the Hinos and will usually cruise at 12 Knots at 2000rpms. I check my engine hours vs gallons consumed at each top-off and it varies around 4mpg average. I also run up the RPMs on occasion to test the hull/engine performance. The max speed I've ever hit was when purchasing and hit 22 knots at 3200 rpms on Lake Washington. The only major item I have replaced so far was a defective stainless exhaust riser due to weld failure.
    MY 3988
    M/V MMPOWRD
    Poulsbo, WA

Comment

Congratulations they are a great boat.
      I am not too sure what the value is of saying that you use 4gph without a speed attached to it - the fuel burn varies greatly over the loads.
      Your Hino 250's will burn about 28 gph when they are at WOT but that is also not valuable as you will not be at those speeds.

I believe your best use will be at about 6 knots with a fuel burn of 3-4 nmpg over average seas.
      Your best cruise will likely be at about 16 knots with a fuel burn of about 1.2 nmpg over average seas.
      Speeds between 6 knots and 9 knots will use more fuel per mile in a greater average than most think.

Enjoy these boats they are really a great find.
      Northport NY

Comment

While changing my oil recently I was reminded again how great the engine access is on the 3988. With the Cummins 330 HP I can sit and easily reach the oil and fuel filters, fuel pumps, sea water impellers, air cleaners, after coolers, starters, hoses, etc. on both sides of both engines. The shaft seals, transmissions, and oil coolers are wide open as is access to the belts, idlers, coolant pumps, and alternators. The access makes engine maintenance quite enjoyable.
        Chuck
        2002 3988 / Cummins 330s
        Los Angeles

Comment

Working...
        X