Review: 2016 Bayliner VR5 and VR6 bowriders-gctid685687

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"johnoly99" post=709393 wrote:
    So did ya buy one yet Matt? They are sweet looking. Wish I could justify a new 2nd boat, but the wife would prob strangle me. She already gives me dirty looks when I tow home some ugly "project" boat. There may be a 1974 Tanzer in my side yard still
    Not yet, wife and I are still going through logistics, and I have to acknowledge the possibility that it may wait for another year.

I will make a decision at the end of this month. But if I were to buy a new boat right now, there's no doubt in my mind it would be a VR5.
    Matt Train
    BOC Site Team
    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I just ordered a VR6! It won't get to me in Stockholm until mid/late June but I feel I can't wait!

I got the VR6, 4.5L 250hp w/ A1 drive, desert sand interior, Seadek faux teak mat in cockpit and on swim platform, no head, stainless steel upgrade, with the bimini + boot.

i bought my first boat last summer, a new 2015 Bayliner 175 GT3 (an "international" model). We loved it so much we were out literally every possible chance. The only thing I wished for was more space, everything else was perfect, and the only thing my girlfriend wished for were higher gunwales and not feeling so close to the water. We went to a boat show last week with no intention of buying and came across the VR5, and fell in love. Then we saw the VR6 online and decided the extra price was worth those 2 extra feet and additional seating capacity, so we ordered it!

It was great to read this report, thanks for that! It makes me feel even happier and more confident about the trade-in. I've looked at practically every other boat in this size and price range, nothing comes close.

Excited!

Comment

You will be very happy with your choice. This boat is going to be what puts the Bayliner quality reputation to bed once and for all.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Thanks for the review! As first-time boat buyers, we test rode a VR6 this past Saturday and were impressed. All the space and power we would want for our first boat. And I really liked the faux teak flooring. Made the boat look awesome. I appreciate this review more since we really went to look at the 642 Overnighter and there just isn't a lot of info out there on that boat. With similar hull and engine as the VR6, this review gives a good impression of comparative performance of the 642, especially regarding engine performance. The ride of the boats was very similar and I could see this being the bow rider we'd buy; however, we actually went with the 642 since we were looking for a cuddy anyway. Still, the VR6 is well worth a look and ride. Glad we took the opportunity.
          Rick
          [color = #4169E1]"Our Dream"[/color] -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

Comment

I just took ownership of my VR5 a couple of weeks ago. I second everything that has been said so far...a real pleasure to drive!

One word of caution: make sure the snaps are secure on the walkway! I don't know for sure because I was alone on her at the time, but I suspect I didnt fasten one of the snaps fully. That little guy likely acted like a sail and took the whole sun pad off. In any case, it's gone. Bayliner is replacing it, thankfully, but lesson learned! The dealer said they didn't push back at all, so I'm likely not the first case like this.

Hopefully they will release a fix because those snaps will be undone frequently.

Attached files

Comment

Wow that sucks. That snap design is questionable. At least they are replacing it.

So how do you like the the Faux Teak flooring. I have it on my boat and have my concerns and likes. I would like to know your opinions of it.
              2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
              Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
              Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
              Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
              1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

How is the wake behind the VR6?

Does it have enough power to pull a slalom skier?

Comment

First, I'm a new member as I have been looking for a while, decided on the VR5, and joining this group to get more info/insights. I have not ordered it yet. Should I go for the 2016 model or wait for the 2017 model? 2017 being 2nd model year, I would assume there would be some improvements. When is the best time to buy, to get the best deal? Lastly, my local Bayliner dealer has a VR5 with a 4.5L 250hp I/O. If this is not one of the three options, how is this possible? Here is the link: http://www.hallbergmarine.com/listin...iner-vr5-20-4/ I checked it out and the engine cover states 250hp...?

Thanks,

Brian

Minnesota

Land of 10,000 Lakes and me without a boat!

Comment

I'd expect that the add is a mistake and that the boat has the 200HP version of the 4.5.

We're enjoying how our 4.5L 200 runs..

Comment

My 2016 642 Overnighter I bought last fall came with the new generation 4.5L 200HP even though it's not listed as an option and it still isn't listed as one on their web site. Don't know how or why it ended up in that boat but I'm not complaining. It's a great motor.

Comment

"BlueCrush" post=750044 wrote:
                        First, I'm a new member as I have been looking for a while, decided on the VR5, and joining this group to get more info/insights. I have not ordered it yet. Should I go for the 2016 model or wait for the 2017 model? 2017 being 2nd model year, I would assume there would be some improvements. When is the best time to buy, to get the best deal? Lastly, my local Bayliner dealer has a VR5 with a 4.5L 250hp I/O. If this is not one of the three options, how is this possible? Here is the link: http://www.hallbergmarine.com/listin...iner-vr5-20-4/ I checked it out and the engine cover states 250hp...?

Thanks,

Brian

Minnesota

Land of 10,000 Lakes and me without a boat!
                        I am not sure I can talk about this yet, but better to beg forgiveness.....

Bayliner (supposedly) quietly "turned on" the 250 hp option, (either already, or will be doing so shortly) for the VR5. Since it's the exact same engine as the 200 4.5, with only a different state of tune, it's not a big deal for them to throw it in since in terms of physical size, it's exactly the same size and weight. It's very possible that it's legit.

If it is in fact legit, JUMP on that boat. VERY rare, and is likely to remain so. The VR6 is a screamer with this engine (52 mph top end), and in the VR5 you are very likely looking at 55+ mph with that engine. It's the 2016 sleeper in the lineup.

I can't take credit for spurring them to do this, since I am sure this was a contingency from launch, but I did ask right off the bat if the 250 would go in the VR5. I got a twinkle in the eye from a few product guys on the home team.

They won't be doing the same for the VR6...the 250 is for sure the largest that boat will ever see. The 6.2L V8 won't fit.

I asked.
                        Matt Train
                        BOC Site Team
                        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I took delivery of my VR6 today and had ordered it with the 250hp back in March. I'm in Europe so perhaps that's why it was available sooner? The dealer test drove it and had it up to 55mph. I didn't have it out long enough for the day to get it to an area to get up to speed, but WOW we love the boat and it's a massive difference to our 175 we traded in for it!

Comment

"Download_Complete" post=685687 wrote:
                            The VR6 gets a changing room with an optional porta potty (find another 20 foot bowrider that has one. Go ahead...we can wait)
                            Mine 87 Bayliner 2150 Capri has a changing room and a porta potty.

Comment

I really like the way the the VR6 Looks and the layout of the seats etc. Nice job Bayliner!

Comment

If you want to get technical, the VR6 is the spiritual successor to the 2150 Capri. Same horsepower nodes, same spot in the lineup, same accommodations.

My comment comes from the fact that the hull length is 20 feet, and the 2150 was 1 foot longer. So I was technically correct but...meh, who cares. :P
                                Matt Train
                                BOC Site Team
                                Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Working...
                                X