Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL-gctid617996

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"metz123" post=714438 wrote:
    The 2016 boats come with a $40 option for an automatic bilge pump. I'm assuming that this implies a setting for the bilge pump that I can leave on when I leave the boat on a buoy that will pump as needed (in case a summer squall dumps a lot of rain). Yes?
    Yes I saw that. I purchased my boat off the lot. If I knew I would have made them install one like I did with the depth gauge. I just figured all new boat would have it. When I bought my Sea Ray in 2002 it had it. I learned the hard way it had no float. We had a lot of rain over 2 days. I went to use the boat, I opened the engine compartment to help vent and it was full of water even though I have a cover. Lucky for me it did not get to engine.
    2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
    Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
    Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
    Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
    1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

"metz123" post=714438 wrote:
      The 2016 boats come with a $40 option for an automatic bilge pump. I'm assuming that this implies a setting for the bilge pump that I can leave on when I leave the boat on a buoy that will pump as needed (in case a summer squall dumps a lot of rain). Yes?
      No. Auto bilge pumps have a float switch that are hardwired to the battery. If the water reaches a certain level the float kicks the switch on.

Here's a wiring schematic for what you would expect - a 3 way switch, but on my boat I had ON/OFF, and the float was hardwired to the battery. It eliminated the possibility of accidently leaving the bilge pump off.

Matt Train
      BOC Site Team
      Chicagoland, IL

Comment

So the settings are either off or automatic on the XL? or are the settings manual (on) and automatic (off)? where the toggle switch set to off means let the float control the pump and the setting on means manually control the pump?

Comment

"metz123" post=714691 wrote:
          So the settings are either off or automatic on the XL? or are the settings manual (on) and automatic (off)? where the toggle switch set to off means let the float control the pump and the setting on means manually control the pump?
          It depends how it was wired. If the switch is marked ON/OFF then I would assume the float is hard wired to the battery.

If it's a three position switch with an AUTOMATIC setting, then you have to manually set it to AUTOMATIC in order for it to work. This is, I feel, less safe.

Someone would need to snap a pic of a 2016 Element XL, or ask the dealer.

In either event, even so, it's not hard to rewire a bilge pump.
          Matt Train
          BOC Site Team
          Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Hi Guys,

Nice and helpful review of the XL. I've just ordered mine but with a few modifications. I'm in France and as the EU model is only certified for 8 POB and not 9 like in the US, so they offer an option which basically turns the aft facing midship seat into a lockable bulkhead. Very useful in my opinion. Plus, as an added bonus, because of this modification, you can get a proper windscreen installed on both sides. Have a look:

I've ordered mine with the sports package, 115 Mercury EFI, extra 6 gal tank and filler cushions and mp3 player. I chose the dark blue hull with matching interior (blue and white). Last modification I did (but that's because I just I can't stand not having engine info) is I added the MercMonitor system. Extra bonus, it tells you how to optimize the trim/rpm to lower your fuel burn.

Should be arriving early May. Will post pics when she hits the waters of Lake Geneva

Nick
            2016 Bayliner Element XL with Mercury 115 four stroke Pro XS
            Geneva, Switzerland

Comment

I'd like to know if the 90HP can plane easily with 4 adults and 4 children. I found a 115 for about 1900 more. I'd love to save the money. But i don't want to do it if i'll regret it.
              2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp Mercury Fourstroke

Comment

If you are going to load it down with 8 people often, I would definitely recommend the 115hp.

Comment

"xxtoon" post=735886 wrote:
                  I'd like to know if the 90HP can plane easily with 4 adults and 4 children. I found a 115 for about 1900 more. I'd love to save the money. But i don't want to do it if i'll regret it.
                  It has no problems with the 90, it just runs out of breath sooner. But 4 adults and 4 kids might be taxing it.

I would save money elsewhere and spend it on the engine upgrade. The XL runs so well with the 115 that it's nearly perfect. There are a lot of "options" on the XL that are marked up and can be added later on, such as the additional fuel tank and the cooler.
                  Matt Train
                  BOC Site Team
                  Chicagoland, IL

Comment

For those interested, I'm picking up my new XL this Saturday and I ended up taking the new Mercury 115 Pro XS (Not the Optimax 2 stroke, the 4 stroke). I'll be posting my impressions as soon as the run-in is completed and I've had a good go.

On paper the new Pro XS sounds like the bees and knees. We'll see how true that is.

Nick
                    2016 Bayliner Element XL with Mercury 115 four stroke Pro XS
                    Geneva, Switzerland

Comment

"Pegasus_01" post=736468 wrote:
                      For those interested, I'm picking up my new XL this Saturday and I ended up taking the new Mercury 115 Pro XS (Not the Optimax 2 stroke, the 4 stroke). I'll be posting my impressions as soon as the run-in is completed and I've had a good go.

On paper the new Pro XS sounds like the bees and knees. We'll see how true that is.

Nick
                      I am considering getting the Bayliner XL with the Merc 115HP 4 stroke pro xs, I talked the the dealer and he said one of his employees has the 115 pro xs and loves it,

I would be adding the SC1000 Merc monitor onto the console.

Just curious on how fast your speed trials went.

Comment

Whats the difference between the regular 115 and the Pro XS?
                        Matt Train
                        BOC Site Team
                        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

300 RPM thats it

the command thrust lower unit is the bigger lower unit that fits on the 150hp more prop selections bigger footprint

check out the Mercury marine website

youtube has good videos on the 115 pro xs also

Comment

BlackMax.

I just ordered the VesselView Mobile as alternative to the SC1000. Its $275 can be installed easily and if i buy a new boat can take it with me. It uses bluetooth to your phone or tablet to allow you to see more details at once. I think it includes all functions of the sc1000.

Just thought i'd mention in case you hadn't heard about it.
                            2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp Mercury Fourstroke

Comment

Working...
                            X