BOC Forum Archive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOC Forum Archive

While the new forum is great from a technical/software perspective (security, performance, etc.) we suffered a HUGE loss in terms of information and photos from some great threads over the years! Yesterday I found out that the Wayback Machine has most of the old site archived which is awesome! But, I was wondering if the folks running this site would entertain the idea of integrating the archive here via the Wayback Machine API? This would connect Google searches for old BOC content with archived content. I for one would find this incredibly useful!

Take a trip down BOC memory lane: https://web.archive.org/web/20150307...ndex.php/forum
    1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Would be nice.
    Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

I do not know how to do that.

Vbulletin uses a sql database, and we do not have the opportunity to directly access that via cpanel.

How would it work? Do you understand the technical mechanisims that would have to be put in place to make it happen?

If you do, I can take that information to Vbulletin who is our hosting service and software provider and see if they can make it happen.

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY
      SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
        I do not know how to do that.

Vbulletin uses a sql database, and we do not have the opportunity to directly access that via cpanel.

How would it work? Do you understand the technical mechanisims that would have to be put in place to make it happen?

If you do, I can take that information to Vbulletin who is our hosting service and software provider and see if they can make it happen.
        Probably the best way to provide the "old site" here would be to download the entire archive via the "Wayback Downloader" (http://waybackdownloader.com/), and then host the old (static) site on the same server as this forum... and just add a link in the header of the vBulletin forum. This would also help to drive traffic here with all that extra content.
        1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post

Probably the best way to provide the "old site" here would be to download the entire archive via the "Wayback Downloader" (http://waybackdownloader.com/), and then host the old (static) site on the same server as this forum... and just add a link in the header of the vBulletin forum. This would also help to drive traffic here with all that extra content.
          After previously posting I’ve has some time to think about things.

First, regarding the photo links. They were never going to be linked. The reason is simply because I moved the platform to a Vbulletin service and not a BOC owned server.
          That was a very good long term move as it got us out of the IT business. The photo links that were lost were on the old BOC server, and with the new service the links became invalid. Links to external (non BOC) photos were retained. I still have the old photo albums which I am getting loaded on a server so that the owners can retrieve them, but I will not be loading any gallery software, and not allowing new photos to be added.

The thing we did loose was some posts. I’m trying to remember, but the posts we lost were in the old “club and website” forum. All that was corrupted.
          If you or anyone else has a technically feasable method of moving those posts into our Vbulletin platform, I am willing to explore that option. I actually have the old Joomla database that had corruption in that area and could not be exported.

What I am not wiling to do is to load Joomla on a server and try to reload the old database. We are moving forward, and that would be a backward move. I have been 100% overjoyed at the quality of the Vbulliten software, and the quality of the support team that comes along with the service that we have with them.

So... If you or anybody else can come up with a technically feasable method of automated loading the posts that were lost in the conversion, I am happy to entertain that idea. Otherwise It’s time to put the old forum to rest and move on.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY
          SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Working...
          X