Questions about new forum SW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about new forum SW

As I get better at using the new SW for our site, I have the following questions, issues. Any help will be appreciated.

1 - What are the 10 white bars showing under the members name attached to each message? Most people (including myself) have all bars in white, a few others have some of the bars shown in red (Kevin has 4 red bars!). Just curious about what that means.

2 - When I submit a message, data shown as my signature comes from my "old" signature, before the SW change. I have updated my profile under the new SW but still the old one shows. The question is that old signature shows my boat model, etc. which is not included in my new profile and I don't know where that data is coming from and hence I can't edit that.

3 - When I read a new message/topic under new topics and return back to the new topics, that topic disappears since it has been read. However, I don't know how to find that topic again as I may not even have noted which forum it was under. How can I find previous topics?

4 - With the old forum SW it was easy to give "thanks" to other people and keep track of the number of thanks given/received. The new SW uses thumbs up but I don't know how to track those.

5 - How is the new "guru" status indicator determined/assigned?

Thanks for all the nice work. I love being a part of the BOC membership.

Take care,
    Retired, computer expert / executive
    Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
    Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
    D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
    bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
    bulent@pacbell.net

I am not referring to old ads, I am referring to old SIGNATURE! For example, under my message my signature shows as

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 12.42.44 PM copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	395221

That is my old signature. I don't know where this info is stored and hence I don't know how to edit it.
    Retired, computer expert / executive
    Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
    Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
    D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
    bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
    bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

I was also wondering if a thread that I've read could stay in the new topics window instead of vanishing.
      On a topic that you've posted to you can find those in the pull down menu of your user name, top right corner under "my recent posts".
      Should be able to edit ya sig up there too, " my profile"
      Definitely a learning curve for me
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Bump. I know this isn't as interesting as PP, but inquiring minds want to know...
        Jeff & Tara
        (And Ginger too)
        Lake Havasu City, AZ
        sigpic
        2000 Bayliner 2858
        "GETAWAY"
        MMSI: 338094599
        In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

We made some changes to the latest topics tab a couple of days ago, that “fixed” the issue.
          I just tried it. If you go to the latest topics tab you will find all of the boating related latest topics, if you reply to a topic then it is no longer bold, and ther little down arrow dissappears.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY
          SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

What about the gray boxes under your name, some turn to orange?
            Jeff & Tara
            (And Ginger too)
            Lake Havasu City, AZ
            sigpic
            2000 Bayliner 2858
            "GETAWAY"
            MMSI: 338094599
            In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffw View Post
              What about the gray boxes under your name, some turn to orange?
              Those gray boxes are something called reputation. I do not understand that functionality very well. you can turn your reputation display on or off in your personal settings, but even if you turn it off the gray box stays. If you turn it on, the box turns orange based on posts.

The wierd thing is that the box turning orange is not dependant on the post count that carried over from the old system, it is based only on posts on the new system.

KEVIN SANDERS
              4788 LISAS WAY
              SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

• Jeffw
                Jeffw commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. But I looked through everything twice, I find no mention of reputation.

Can't find it either Jeff
              I have discovered some rather large new smileys though
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              Misc. projects thread

Comment

I was incorrect. Members cannot turn off the orange bars.

This is a function I know little about, and an hour of research, reading the software manual didn’y help allot.

What I found out is that the orange bar will incriment based on post count, and “likes” (that litle thumbs up in the lower corner of a post). The more people click on the that symbol “liking” your posts the quicker the range bar increments.

I do know that this feature is in flux, and that Vbulletin is trying to decide wether they want the feature in future releases.

and Yes, the stock smilies were not so much fun so I added some new ones.
                Last edited by ksanders; 12-01-2017, 11:29 PM.

KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY
                SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Good deal on the smileys, I liked the ones from the old forum, the orange reputation bars definitely need some type of reboot IMO
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  Misc. projects thread

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
                    I was incorrect. Members cannot turn off the orange bars.

This is a function I know little about, and an hour of research, reading the software manual didn’y help allot.

What I found out is that the orange bar will incriment based on post count, and “likes” (that litle thumbs up in the lower corner of a post). The more people click on the that symbol “liking” your posts the quicker the range bar increments.

I do know that this feature is in flux, and that Vbulletin is trying to decide wether they want the feature in future releases.

and Yes, the stock smilies were not so much fun so I added some new ones.
                    Kevin could the bars be based solely on likes? I've made a few posts Have gotten one like... Also in the old format I was showing the "ranking" as "senior member" but now it just says member.
                    Dave
                    Dave
                    N.C. Boater, fresh and salt water. New to boating in 2009
                    1990 Sunbridge 2655 "One Particular Harbour"
                    5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1
                    Past:
                    1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
                    Mariner 150
                    Towing with:
                    2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
                    West of Hickory NC

Comment