forum issue.. in the classifieds section

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forum issue.. in the classifieds section

I like to use the classified ads to save a bit of money and at the same time help others get rid of some of their stuff... the PROBLEM is, there is sooo many old ads, and worse yet, links to old craigslist ads that someone has posted, and have long since expired, and collectively they are plugging up the system.

there are pages upon pages of ads there and if the old outdated ones could be set to expire after a 60 or 90 day period, it would unburdan that section and make it more user friendly for EVERYONE who is trying to sell or searching to buy....
    its very discouraging trying to search thru all the old ads to find something, and then when contacting the person, finding out they sold it 5 months ago... I dont want to see the section go away, but neither am I going to be scrolling thru year old ads in the hopes that the item is still available... nor am I going to post something because I feel there are so many others who feel as I do that its a futile process to list something here...

with the new system, could the postings be set to expire after certain amount of time, with a notice sent via email to the poster that the ad has expired, and which would include a link to easily renew it if they choose to?... it would sure help. thanks

NU LIBERTE'
    Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
    5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
    N2K equipped throughout..
    2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
    2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
    '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
    Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Most forums retain all their old ads. I've found this useful for pricing my stuff when I put it up. One thing you do tend to see is people that are somewhat new to forums replying to old ads "is this still for sale" - takes a while until someone else typically chims in with "this is a an old ad XXX months old". I typically assume if the listing hasnt had any activity for 2 months, its not for sale any longer.
    97 2859

Comment

Originally posted by JThiessen View Post
      Most forums retain all their old ads. I've found this useful for pricing my stuff when I put it up. One thing you do tend to see is people that are somewhat new to forums replying to old ads "is this still for sale" - takes a while until someone else typically chims in with "this is a an old ad XXX months old". I typically assume if the listing hasnt had any activity for 2 months, its not for sale any longer.
      I would disagree that most forums retain all their old ads. there are too many automatic management tools available that there is no logical reason for them to...except for those that dont take the time to set it up.
      one particular boating forum im a member of will automatically reject an ad if there are offensive words used, or if incorrect email address are used, or in some cases, if phone numbers are placed in the ad.... the used gear ads are automatically removed after 60 days from date of posting and boats for sale ads get a 6 month listing til it gets removed... in every case there is an automatic email generated that is sent to the member stating the problem and a link that one can click on to correct any issues and to repost if desired,,, the tools for this are available.

its easy to find reasonable pricing for items by doing a quick internet search... in addition almost any chandelry or place selling used boat parts/items will be asking about 50-60% of new cost for used items... those individuals listing for higher prices probaly dont want to get rid of it as much as they want someone to give them a premium price for their old used parts... and there are others of us who just like to list a fair and affordable price and sell it without the buyer feel like he needs to haggle to get the over priced item down to a resonable cost...

and, as much as I would like to go on a rant about those that dont have the courtesy to manage and delete their old outdated ads, I wont... but neither should we have to wait for ourselves or another member to go thru and let everyone know that this ad or that ad is no longer active.... there should be a report button so we can report it, so it can be deleted by the admin.... or even better, the page set up so that postings after a certain age get deleted by default and no longer show up on the page. its not hard to do, and when the admin has time, maybe they can set it up... its a suggestion to make the classifieds easier to use and get more traffic on the page... more traffic equals more items for sale, and quicker sales for those selling...

just a quick scroll thru the first 5-6 pages show that about 75% of the content there is no longer active... probably a higher percentage, and undoubtedly so if one were to take a sampling of more pages...

I can appreciate those that have nothing better to do than scroll thru old outdated advertising in an attempt to find what they are looking for, and only wish I had extra time to spend on things like that, but like a lot of other people I dont.... but i always make time to make a reasonable suggestion, and I also know all good things take time.

NU LIBERTE'
      Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
      5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
      N2K equipped throughout..
      2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
      2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
      '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
      Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Thanks guys, we’ll look into both sides of the equation and let you know

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY
        SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Working...
        X