Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is with the awful ads cut right into the body of the postings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is with the awful ads cut right into the body of the postings?

I have been a member for 17 years. Somehow when the "new format" happened I lost connection to my hundreds of posts and 'how to' articles I wrote. I am not a "Fresh Face".

Now I made a post on troubleshooting the 38XX generator failure and the forum has advertising jammed right between the paragraphs I wrote. I thought persons could print it and stash it in their Westerbeke manual for later reference. Can't do that with huge ads in the body of the post. Man, the forum has changed since I last hung out here. It is sad what a mess and distraction the advertising is. Years ago when I spent a lot of time here learning about my boat I donated when the moderators asked to prevent this kind of thing. I guess the genie is out of the bottle now and we can't stuff it back in?
    Fred
    1887 3818
    Fred
    Former USCG C130 Pilot
    Salish Sea Pirate

They want you to pay a membership to remove the adds as this is how the site pays the bills. Pay and they go away or enjoy the site for free with inserted ads. See here. https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/s.../subscriptions It does ruin the site IMHO. Lets see what add my post brings up.
    Cheers, Hans
    2007 Carver 41 CMY
    Twin Volvo D6-370
    Montreal, Canada
    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Ohhhh, I got hottest sleepwear.
      Cheers, Hans
      2007 Carver 41 CMY
      Twin Volvo D6-370
      Montreal, Canada
      Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

I do not have control of where the advertising is in a thread. That is a approx 3 month old feature of Google that I cannot change.

That said, we fund the site through two means. The most important one is if you click on the “click here to support the boc” link at the top of any page.
        That financial support removes all advertising and adds the “supporting member” title to your username.

The second and very important methof is through google advertising. The advertisements you see are based on your google search history. Go looking for nightware for your wife and you’re going to see that type of advertisements. Search for boat parts and you’ll see boating related advertisements. It’s all based on your individual search history.

I am 100% committed to preserving the BOC as a valuable meeting place for boaters, and these methods of funding the site are my best shot at doing just that.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Kevin, can you hook my Handle back up to all my old posts? I used to get a lot of reference back to my posts and particularIy an article I did on replacing the 38XX sliding side windows that seems to be lost. I remember we used to talk about the old stuff. Thanks for moderating and doing the chores for us. I always come here first when I need help whether for my old trophy, 2586, or the '38.

Putting my money where my mouth is. Sending a 24 month support/subscrition.

Fred
          1987 3818
          Fred
          Former USCG C130 Pilot
          Salish Sea Pirate

Comment

VPN
            It's all a dream
            '03 245 5.7/BIII & '07 Sedona pontoon

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy III View Post
              Kevin, can you hook my Handle back up to all my old posts? I used to get a lot of reference back to my posts and particularIy an article I did on replacing the 38XX sliding side windows that seems to be lost. I remember we used to talk about the old stuff. Thanks for moderating and doing the chores for us. I always come here first when I need help whether for my old trophy, 2586, or the '38.

Putting my money where my mouth is. Sending a 24 month support/subscrition.

Fred
              1987 3818
              Hello Fred, Welcome back!

The long and short is that I have no way to link an old account to a new account.

Here’s what happened...

In 2017 we converted the BOC to Vbulletin software. During that conversion I made the decision in order to save resources and get a handle on the true state of the BOC to recycle any user account that had not been used in the last two years.

The reason for that is we “thought” we had over 40,000 members but we were counting folks that signed up for a account a decade before, had posted once or twice and never been back since.

This recycling decision negatively affected several members that decided after years of inactivity to “come back” to the BOC. My apologies for that.
              In hindsight I am not sure what I could have done differently, but at the same time I feel for those that had their accounts recycled only to return and have to re-register.

KEVIN SANDERS
              4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
              www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Working...
              X