Position of engine cover hinges '89 2159

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Position of engine cover hinges '89 2159

My '89 2159 has the engine cover hinges on the forward edge. Has anybody moved them to the back on the transom? I am even thinking about adding a pair of gas shocks to keep it open when I need to.
    Red are the current hinge positions, green is planned.

Pro's, cons?
    Attached Files
    1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
    5.8L OMC Cobra
    2 1/2 year restoration project after "all you need to do is put the rebuilt engine back in".
    Mountlake Terrace, WA

Interesting idea. I know it can be a pain to get back inside but it does give the lid a place to rest without any assist. If you do move the hinges please post the results, I may just copy you. Good luck!
    Wayne,
    Formerly-Fish-a-Palooza

Washington State, Salish Sea, Everett

1993 2859, 5.7L, Bravo 2, Seahawk II MMSI 338384974
    1988 Trophy 2160, 4.3L, VP Duoprop MMSI 338120888
    1988 1750 Bass & Ski, Force 125

Comment

Done! Getting the screws in the hinges was not easy, just an awkward position. I made brackets for the liftstruts out of aluminum, and screwed in the bottom with 3 screws, 2 in the top.
      1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
      5.8L OMC Cobra
      2 1/2 year restoration project after "all you need to do is put the rebuilt engine back in".
      Mountlake Terrace, WA

Comment

Better add some type of latch up front so it doesn’t fly open and potentially get ripped off while at cruising speed.
        😮
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX" '93 2556
        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II
        The Rebuild Of My 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        My Misc. Projects
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

The shocks are positioned in such a way that they push the engine cover down when closed (up -they are above the hinges, down - they are below the hinges). The cover weighs at least 50 lbs. Damn thing is heavy. The struts came from a car and were not able to hold the trunklid up anymore, but have enough power left to keep my engine cover up, but not enough to push it up
          1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
          5.8L OMC Cobra
          Mountlake Terrace, WA

Comment

• builderdude
            builderdude commented
            Editing a comment
            Bouncing around in some rough sea conditions may have an impact.

Nice job! Any more pictures? The new hinges maybe? How long are the struts?
          Wayne,
          Formerly-Fish-a-Palooza

Comment

I'll take a few more pictures and measurements. So far I really like it. Today I had to deal with a very tiny leak in my poly fuel tank, during install it seemed a corner got nicked. I could lay in the cabin and reach the tank while with the original way it opened I would have had to remove the cover and put it to the side, like I had it during a lot of engine work. It slides around, bangs into stuff. Now everything is accessible.
            1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
            5.8L OMC Cobra
            Mountlake Terrace, WA

Comment

• Seahawk II
              Seahawk II commented
              Editing a comment
              So, if I could also inquire please, what kind of poly fuel tank did you use?

The previous owner installed a Polyolefin (polypropylene) tank. Not sure the manufacturer. There are a few companies that make them.
            The old aluminum tank leaked, and they cut it out in little sections then slid the new tank in. Then they decided to overhaul the engine since it was out anyway. And then the owner died and his wife sold us the boat as she was getting too old to finish it.
            1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
            5.8L OMC Cobra
            Mountlake Terrace, WA

Comment

The struts are 31" fully extended, 20" collapsed. Hinges are 2 1/2" wide, wider than what came on the boat.
              1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
              5.8L OMC Cobra
              Mountlake Terrace, WA

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. Do you have any of the fuel tank?
                Wayne,
                Formerly-Fish-a-Palooza

Comment

Working...
                X