Scupper hoses leak - limited visibility/access to replace

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scupper hoses leak - limited visibility/access to replace

Does anyone have some innovative solutions to replace my leaking scupper hoses? Both the port and starboard scuppers (ping pong ball style) which are below the waterline are leaking on the inside of the transom. I can feel wetness and a 1 drop per second drip on the outside of the hoses at the thru hull fitting (on the inside of the transom well) but can't tell if the hose clamp isn't tight or the hose is cracked...it's from 1987 so I'm thinking the plastic hose is cracked.

My major issue is access. The outboard well has a ~8in circle access hole which is enough to visually inspect the bilge and get a hand in there. The hoses are not visible because I can't stick my fat head in the access hole. Any ideas on how to get two hands in there so I can hold a hose clamp with one hand and tighten it with the other?

It's a 1987 Bayliner Trophy 1910 CC

That’s the kind of thing I call on my grandsons for. The seventeen year old is getting pretty good around the boat but he’s going off to Basic Training the day after school gets out and will miss the first two days of his senior year. So, no help there. The nine year old is getting okay good so he’s the one I’d pick for the scupper hoses. Another successful tool for me has been my cell phone. I just start a video and move the camera around the area, then once I know where to place it, I’ll do another to mess around trying to fix it. For real small areas I got a colonoscopy camera, new, from amazon, that connects to my laptop and that works surprisingly well.
    Did I mention that I too hate little leaks like that?
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Thanks Pcpete I will try the phone camera trick to get a better visual of the hoses. I will still have the issue of getting two hands down in there but at least I'll know where to focus my attention. I'm considering removing the livewells on either side of the outboard well but I'm not sure those areas are partitioned off...worth a try I guess.

Good luck and appreciate the patriotic nature of your son.

Comment

I’m not sure of the layout of that year and model, but I’m thinking that you battery sits in the compartments that are right above where the scupper hose runs. If you remove the battery you should at least be able to see the hose on that side. Getting the existing one off is not easy. They are not only clamped but an adhesive of some sort has been used. I’m assuming that they were to last a lifetime, but alas, nothing ever does.
        Bob Hawes.
        Kelowna, B.C.
        1998 Trophy 2052 WA
        4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

The batteries are located in the center console (which is quite large). You can't seem them in the second image but they would be just out of frame to the top (starboard scupper) and the bottom (port). The bilge area is dirty but not oily.

Would it be worthwhile unscrewing the live well compartments? I don't know what type of material it is screwed into but assuming fiberglass. Would I need a gasket when putting them back in?

Comment

Here's a better photo with descriptions to what I have

Comment

Unfortunately that is not the configuration that I had anticipated. Just a though. Is it possible to insert a new pipe/fhose one size smaller that what’s presently in there and seal it to the edges at both ends. That. should fix the leak fis the leak and still alow drainage.
              Bob Hawes.
              Kelowna, B.C.
              1998 Trophy 2052 WA
              4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

That would be a great idea! However, I've literally and metaphorically closed that option once I 2-part epoxy the thru-hull scupper fittings (from the outside thinking some leakage was occurring there) so I wouldn't be able to seal off that end, which is the most problematic.

I think I'll try to put a gopro connected to the app on my phone to see what I'm doing next time I'm at the boat.

Comment

Working...
                X