Grounding 1992 2002 WA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grounding 1992 2002 WA

I'm having trouble finding the "common ground" in the very tight/small hole accessing the battery wiring. Any thoughts, directions would help. Is this boat grounded at all?

I'll take a stab at this. My '96 2002 FF with the '96 Mercury 175 hp has the large black cable that goes from the negative battery post to the block of the motor near the starter. That grounds the motor. What I found by the battery in behind the port side access door was several green wires that was the ground wires for the bilge pump, fuel sender, and the live well/fish well pumps. While never having the need to look for it. I assumed there is a ground wire in the motor harness that goes to the dash panel that provides a ground for the rest of the electrics at the helm. At the risk of being insulting, unlike automobiles, the entire boat is not grounded. Try Googling Bayliner Trophy Manuals. It's an old site that I believe is still accessible that has wiring diagrams for the older Trophys and was very helpful to me. Hope this helps.

Comment

Dad, if those green wires are installed correctly, by ABYC rules they are bonding wires connecting everything metal to your anodes and the negative post on your battery. There should also be a black cable going to the motor and/or any other battery. It may be that a previous owner used green because it had better visibility than traditional black, or it was on sale. (Insert smile here) The new ABYC rules are to use yellow for dc systems under 50 volts. Sounds kind of strange, but when chasing a 12v ground you really don’t want to accidentally get 120v.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

No ground, it’ll be a 12 V negative
        92 it’ll be or should be a black wire.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Thanks for the responses , but I'm still confused. Are you saying the boat is not grounded?, or it is grounded to motor block? or? In a PERKO battery switch video on youtube they show black wires going to a "Common ground". I know some guys have a "block" bolted into their boat for all grounds. This 2002 WA has such limited access to under deck/wiring area I can't find stuff. Wiring diagram shows ground but where?

Comment

What they are saying is "Ground" is the incorrect term. For a power source (Battery) you have supply (red) and return (black). Ground is a safety wire that connects back to return and generally does not carry any current and is only intended to do so if a short to a devices housing were to occur. It is also used in "Bonding" all the boats metal exposed to the water surrounding the boat to keep it at the some potential to minimize electrolysis.
            1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

When boaters/fisherman state "make sure your boat is grounded" because of lightning, and in my case also electric current in the water from my down riggers scareing fish, what are they referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy oswego View Post
                When boaters/fisherman state "make sure your boat is grounded" because of lightning, and in my case also electric current in the water from my down riggers scareing fish, what are they referring to?
                That would be a bonding ground that has an under water anode to dissipate charge from lighting into the water. This system only conducts current if hit by lighting.
                1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Those green wires should be connected to any metal that goes through the hull, the engine and a zinc anode. Your electronics, and the 12v system could be connected to an external grounding plate bolted to the bottom of the boat. It’s easy to see if you have one, it will be a rectangular plate looking kind of like this.
                  https://www.google.com/search?client...dG_lXl8nWfzXM:
                  P/C Pete
                  Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                  1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                  Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                  1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                  MMSI 367770440
                  1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                  Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Working...
                  X