F21 in Shallow water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F21 in Shallow water

At the end of Dec last year I visited Rockport, Texas, we rented a house on Copano Bay. I checked that it had a dock but never actually asked about the water depth. Turns out to be about 2-1.6ft around the dock. When I purchased the boat I was debating about the jack plate but opted for it in the end. Glad I got it, for anything around the 3 or less ft you can't really be without a plate to lift the motor up.

Anyone running with a jack plate - and if so how shallow can you plane from?

The PIC is from Dec31st laying in about 1.8ft.

What type of jack plate do you have? Did you install?

Chief

Comment

It is an Atlas jack plate with a 6" lift.I paid $1800 installed.

I am up for many challenges but this upgrade I would not be able to handle. You require equipment to lift the motor, knowledge to mount the plate correctly and the steering requires longer hydraulic cables - fluid bleed etc. Up/Down control requires wiring to the steering wheel.

Another thing with the jack plate is that you have yet another variable to optimize your plane instead of just trim. Minor engine lift adjustments upwards increases top speed by a couple of mph - obviously matched with the correct trim.

Comment

Thanks for the response, this might be something I try during the fall.

Comment

Bayliner told me it would void my hull warranty if I installed a jack plate

Comment

That is possible, you are not an authorized dealer I would assume.

My JPlate was installed by an authorized dealer - any warranty issue would be their problem.

Comment

• baylinerf21
              baylinerf21 commented
              Editing a comment
              If Bayliner says it will void the warranty it doesn't really matter who puts it on
          Working...
          X