Can't reach drain plugs and oil filter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't reach drain plugs and oil filter

I have a 2002 Trophy Pro 2052WA with a 4.3l Mer cruiser. There are a total of 5 drain plugs but I can not reach the 2 that are on the block. The space between the exhaust manifolds and the fiberglass floor is to tight. This is also the same scenario for the oil filter. I know I can put on a oil filter relocation kit but I have to get the filter off first. LOL. Any one here has the same issue? What do you do?

Any help would be great.
    2002 Trophy Pro 2052WA 4.3L Mercruiser
    Ontario, Canada

Originally posted by captnunu View Post
    I have a 2002 Trophy Pro 2052WA with a 4.3l Mer cruiser. There are a total of 5 drain plugs but I can not reach the 2 that are on the block. The space between the exhaust manifolds and the fiberglass floor is to tight. This is also the same scenario for the oil filter. I know I can put on a oil filter relocation kit but I have to get the filter off first. LOL. Any one here has the same issue? What do you do?

Any help would be great.
    I thought the same thing about the oil filter when I first bought my 2452, but I figured it out. I absolutely hate changing the oil because of the acrobatics and mess involved but it is possible. It must be possible on your boat too, otherwise that filter's been on there for 16 years! Just get in there and try different approaches.
    1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

When I had my Rinker 232 with a 6.2L I/O, I used to joke that I needed to hire a Somali midget contortionist to help me service the boat (not politically correct, I know). There was one drain plug that I would not attempt to get at unless I had a helper standing by to pull my legs out in case I got stuck head first in the engine compartment.

Comment

captnunu I don't know if your a big guy, but if your over 150 pounds see if you cann't get some small person to help you. I'm 5'8" and 185 and on my 2655 I have my wife help me with the filter.
        1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
        5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

Originally posted by 6104696 View Post
          When I had my Rinker 232 with a 6.2L I/O, I used to joke that I needed to hire a Somali midget contortionist to help me service the boat (not politically correct, I know). There was one drain plug that I would not attempt to get at unless I had a helper standing by to pull my legs out in case I got stuck head first in the engine compartment.
          LOL exactly.

Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by ken51k View Post
            captnunu I don't know if your a big guy, but if your over 150 pounds see if you can't get some small person to help you. I'm 5'8" and 185 and on my 2655 I have my wife help me with the filter.
            Yes that is what I was thinking. I am 6 foot and about 250 so I think that is the problem. I talked to a buddy of my son and he said he would come over and give it a try.

I will be installing the oil filter relocation kit probably next winter. I was thinking that at the same time I would install a brass pipe on either side to extend the plug out to where it is reachable. Might be a good long term solution.
            Ontario, Canada

Comment

Skinny bilge rat, son maybe ... I have 2 had to feed em anyway.
              Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

For the block drain plugs, try using the smallest size adjustable wrench you can find and go in from the front of the engine, put a bright LED work light in the bilge. If you can get your arm low enough you may be able to reach them. So you are threading your arm between the block and the exhaust manifold, reaching in from the front of the engine, not the side.
                And, those block drains are the most important ones to get out! On my '88 Four Winns I can get them both out pretty easily even with the rear seat in place as long as I remove the side panels. The small wrench makes a big difference. Be sure to poke the drain holes with a pick or thin screwdriver.

For the oil filter I use a cap wrench with a long ratchet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Marine oil filter 1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	464621Click image for larger version

Name:	oil filter.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	464622
                88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

"Skinny bilge rat, son maybe ... I have 2 had to feed em anyway. "

LOl that is funny. I have one but he is a chip off the old block so to speak. I have a buddy coming over when he gets a chance and he might be able to reach. "Beers and a fish fry"

I am thinking for a long term solution, If I take a brass pipe that screws into the block just long enough to extend out the the exhaust manifold and then screw in the drain plug to that. If it is a straight pipe then if it is plugged I will still be able to poke it with a wire to unclog it.

What do you guys think?
                  Ontario, Canada

Comment

is the boat used in fresh or salt water? If fresh water it may work, but I'd still rod it out. Expect to get about 3.5-4 gallons of water out of the engine itself.
                    88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                    98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                    07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

I only use the boat in fresh water.
                      Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                      X