New Outboard for my old 1802

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Outboard for my old 1802

At the present I have a 2000 1802 Trophy with a 125hp Mercury saltwater series outboard. Does anyone out there have any opinion on Suzuki 4 strokes vs Yamaha vs Mearcury and would a new 115hp four stroke give the same performance of my present 2 stroke 125hp Mercury? Also, would an upgrade to a 150hp 4 stroke put unacceptable weight and stress on the transom? Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks.

Take a look at the new Evinrude Etecs. Earlier this year they offered 10 year warranties on new engines! I chose the Evinrudes for my new boat. In south Florida, the Yamahas dominate. Pretty much 90% of the boats you see have Yamaha 150's. They are the number one stolen motor out here...either they are that good, or they are easy to steal?
    With a 2stroke you don't have a $2,000 maintenance bill every couple of years like the Yamahas. Also, if you are in a cold area where you need to winterize, the Evinrudes have a feature where it squirts oil into the cylinders but no fuel, so it automatically fogs the engine for you! I use that feature as I sometimes don't come to FL for 2-3 months and the moisture/rust here kills everything fast!
    Esteban
    B-ham!
    Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

• Jkm
      Jkm commented
      Editing a comment
      I would definitely consider e-tec evinrude as noted above. I suspect a 115 hp 4-stroke would not live up to what you were used to with 125hp Merc. I have same merc on my wa2002 and many yammy 4-stroke owners are surprised at its performance on my boat. When/if I do a re-power, I would consider going with a heavier 150hp 4-stroke (heavier as you note, but my boat is bigger than your 1802), but likely would go with the e-tec in view of performance comparisons I have seen on boatTEST.com and elsewhere.

Hmm, Thanks for the extra things to think about. I have heard that the e tecs need much more maintenance than the 4 strokes. Thats from some of my fishing buddies in BC. The e tecs do have the performance though.

Comment

While 4 strokes are a bit heavier than their 2 stoke brethren, they are almost bullet proof. Easy maintenance, no annoying odor or smoking, just all around better engines. The only thing that you may want to consider with the variety of Makes available are the service opportunities in the area where you live/boat.
      Bob Hawes.
      Kelowna, B.C.
      1998 Trophy 2052 WA
      4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Originally posted by bhawes View Post
        While 4 strokes are a bit heavier than their 2 stoke brethren, they are almost bullet proof. Easy maintenance, no annoying odor or smoking, just all around better engines. The only thing that you may want to consider with the variety of Makes available are the service opportunities in the area where you live/boat.
        No annoying odor Bob, that'd be the smell of fun IMO the 2 stroke is far superior in its power to weight ratio over the 4 stroke but the fuel economy of the 4 stroke is going to be way better. I wouldn't say the 4 stroke is a better engine though. It comes down to personal preference and how the OP will use the boat.

Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Does anyone know the maximum weight that I can put on the transom of my 1802? Maximum horsepower too?

Comment

As mentioned, make sure you have a very good certified dealer/service of whatever brand you buy. A 10 year warranty on a Evinrude is gonna do you no good if the dealer is 300 miles away. I just had a bad experience taking my pontoon with a Mercury to Mercury certified shop… I will never go to that shop again! I would definitely limit my choices to whatever is available within an hour of where I live and boat. Luckily where I spend my time in Florida and in Washington there are dozens of shops/mechanics because these are heavy boating areas.
            Esteban
            B-ham!
            Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Originally posted by green650 View Post
              Take a look at the new Evinrude Etecs. Earlier this year they offered 10 year warranties on new engines! I chose the Evinrudes for my new boat. In south Florida, the Yamahas dominate. Pretty much 90% of the boats you see have Yamaha 150's. They are the number one stolen motor out here...either they are that good, or they are easy to steal?
              With a 2stroke you don't have a $2,000 maintenance bill every couple of years like the Yamahas. Also, if you are in a cold area where you need to winterize, the Evinrudes have a feature where it squirts oil into the cylinders but no fuel, so it automatically fogs the engine for you! I use that feature as I sometimes don't come to FL for 2-3 months and the moisture/rust here kills everything fast!
              What do you mean by the $2k maintenance bill every couple of years?

Comment

I think I am leading towards the Yamaha 115hp Vmax SHO, slightly more expensive, but almost competes with the 2 stroke of equivalent size, not that much heavier than what I have now, and no issues with figuring out where I can put a tank of oil on the boat.

Comment

Originally posted by william bennett View Post
                  I think I am leading towards the Yamaha 115hp Vmax SHO, slightly more expensive, but almost competes with the 2 stroke of equivalent size, not that much heavier than what I have now, and no issues with figuring out where I can put a tank of oil on the boat.
                  Very good choice. Your boat came with the 90hp Mercury standard, with the 125 Hp Merc Optional. The Yamaha 115 will push your boat quite nicely and idle down for trolling. Also a very quiet motor,easy on fuel and very reliable. If it's a new motor, follow break in procedures to the letter to avoid warranty issues as now they can read the computer on the engine.

Comment

Thanks Fishin00 Guru for the break in tip. Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X