Swim platform?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swim platform?

I'm looking at an 85 2860 next week to buy my question is what are the most important things to look for as far as known issues?
    and also it doesn't have a swim platform
    Where do I find on of those?

Originally posted by Bowgun View Post
    I'm looking at an 85 2860 next week to buy my question is what are the most important things to look for as far as known issues?
    and also it doesn't have a swim platform
    Where do I find on of those?
    Any older boat:
    Transom, stringers,and fuel tank to start with, the list goes on from there......
    And welcome to the club
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I dont believe there are any unusal problems to look for in that model of boat, but as Builderdude said, there are many things that need to be looked at.... EVERYTHING on a boat, stem to stern, top to bottom has an unusually high potential for damage due to neglect, abuse or the environment during normal usage, and you want to make sure the problems it DOES have isnt going to break the bank in repairs, or that its not going to take a couple seasons of working on it before you can use it, UNLESS you are buying it cheap so you can have a project to throw money at...

do a google search for DIY boat survey and it will give you an endless amount of reading.

as for swim platforms, you can buy new or you can search boat salvage yards..... or build your own from fiberglass or aluminum if you have the skills....

NU LIBERTE'
      Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
      5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
      N2K equipped throughout..
      2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
      2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
      '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
      Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Originally posted by Centerline2 View Post
        I dont believe there are any unusal problems to look for in that model of boat, but as Builderdude said, there are many things that need to be looked at.... EVERYTHING on a boat, stem to stern, top to bottom has an unusually high potential for damage due to neglect, abuse or the environment during normal usage, and you want to make sure the problems it DOES have isnt going to break the bank in repairs, or that its not going to take a couple seasons of working on it before you can use it, UNLESS you are buying it cheap so you can have a project to throw money at...

do a google search for DIY boat survey and it will give you an endless amount of reading.

as for swim platforms, you can buy new or you can search boat salvage yards..... or build your own from fiberglass or aluminum if you have the skills....
        Agree with all of the above.

For swim platforms, there is www.swimplatforms.com. However, you are likely to find a new full swim platform to be prohibitively expensive for a 33 year old Bayliner. Trying to find a used one, or fabbing your own, or just installing one or two of the small (universal) off the shelf models (such as https://www.discountramps.com/boat-l...YaAnkFEALw_wcB) , are likely to be your best bet....

Comment

Would the 1985 2860 be the same platform as an 89 2459? If so, i have removed mine to install an offshore bracket.

Comment

Working...
          X