Element F21 - upgrades and mods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Element F21 - upgrades and mods

Hello - I am new to the site, it found me in my search for information on the Element F series. This forum is still fairly limited with information on these models but I am keen to share some of the upgrades I am working on and to hear from others that like to tinker. If you considering this model and want some user experience thoughts let me know. Happy to share my opinion for what it is worth. My goal was to purchase a boat that has a factory warranty but doesn't cost the price of a house. I understand where this boat stands regarding value and quality. There are many forum debates on Bayliner but most are ego folks that never seen or set foot on the boat they are trashing. Certainly the finish is basic and some components are basic like the plastic latches. However for me I have a nice canvas to modify as I like for a fairly low dollar. I probably spent about $1000 so far (excl the fishfinder) and the boat looks completely different to me.

I will start with my setup:

F21 with 150 Merc + stainless 19p
    Fishmaster T-top
    Non stainless package (meaning the tacky plastics all round)
    Jensen factory (round) stereo
    Taco factory lean post
    Dual live well
    No factory swim boards
    Dealer added Minn Kota Ipilot trolling 24V
    Dealer added 6" Atlas jack plate

My mods and upgrades:
    • ProMariner 3 bank battery charger
    • Sliced the windshield grab rail and added stainless pipe hinges - this allows me to fold the grab rail down and garage my F21 (5 min t-top removal required)
    • Added a removable bracket to the trolling motor. (cheap and easy - just don't drop your tools in the hull and then more magnets to get those tools out)
    • Lowrance Elite Ti 7 (Too much to talk about regarding fish finders - I'll just say they they could not put a larger transducer plug if they tried)
    • Garmin 93 (I had this unit so mounted both)
    • VHF radio + 4 foot ant. + Fishmaster rail mount
    • Tow hooks on both transom sides
    • Swim board and ladder left side - bought but busy with install (tricky due to sponson location)
    • Replace plastic latches with stainless ($100 simple fix - that is a major improvement)
    • Remove live well piano hinge and replace with stainless strap hinges
    • Add gas lift on live well lid (factory setup is poor - lid leans back and pulled piano hinge loose - this is a must do mod
    • Replace plastic rod holders with stainless around center console - for looks this is a big change
    • Add rod holders in stern corners to support t-top extension (this shades the back deck and seats)
    • Fishmaster T-top mount bracket front and rear + t-top nav light
    • Spreader lights on t-top front and rear
    • Live well light
    • courtesy led's to illuminate deck - yet to be installed

To do's further in the future
    • I plan to partly rewire the inside console or at least tidy up and move the fuse box. Factory setup is untidy + hard to fix if you have an electrical issue. No labels and fuse box is upside down hard to reach.
    • The top console dash is too small for adding any equipment unfortunately. You cannot flush mount even a 7" plotter. Might consider moving the gauges or replacing them with a single MercMonitor or gauges on the Garmin/Lowrance, however this requires about $600 worth of gear.
    • Struggle to find a place for additional electric switches that will have a factory look
    • Add an additional bilge pump wired to trolling batteries as a backup

That is it - happy to hear comments and looking forward on seeing more posts on the F series

Martin

I have the same set up for the most part on my 2017 f21 . Mine came with the motorguide x5 80 lb . im interested to see your trolling motor mount, mine has been to the dealer twice cause it keeps coming loose. also interested to see how you wired the on board charger as im going to make my purchase of a 3 bank this weekend. Once I get my pics uploaded I will post and update on my mods also

Comment

sure - will post some later.

You want to charge your 2 front located trolling batteries and the engine battery under the back seat ?

Comment

Yes both trolling and starter batteries. Also did yours come with any shock or springs on front hatches

Comment

yes I have gas springs on the right and left front hatches - factory. I added a gas spring on the rear well and will add for front center and anchor hatch.

Comment

My dealer told me we’re not available, hmmm going to get with them on this! Cause they have caught more then just my hand when triying to get something out or turn on the trolling motor batteries

Comment

Do you by chance know the part number for that shock that you installed on the door

Comment

From Amazon:
                Qty(2) BOXI 4419 Universal Lift Supports Struts Extended Length: 14.50 Inches, Compressed Length: 9.25 Inches, Force: 35 Lbs. 10mm ball socket Shocks 4419

Comment

btw that strut from Amazon is not stainless but it does have a protective coating, i have not seen rust from multiple salt trips- stainless is fairly expensive

to wire the 3 bank charger to the 2 front hatches is nothing short of a nightmare, or was for me anyway. you have to go from the hole in the console floor to the speakers and from there to the trolling batteries. Fish-tape with lots of patience, the space below the deck is not easy to get wire through.

It might be easier to mount the charger in the front hatch and get direct access to the trolling batteries. A run to the engine battery should be easier.

Comment

Working...
                  X