Which year Trophy 1802?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which year Trophy 1802?

Hey guys first post. Currently I’m in the market for a trophy 1802. I do a lot of trolling on Lake Michigan and currently have a dinky 16’ aluminum. I’m about an hour away from the lake, fish 15-20 times a year and I’ve determined that with my Trailblazer the 1802 is the perfect boat for me. I’ve done as much research as I can and I’m down to one big decision. Which year trophy? From what I’ve learned after 2000 the boat quality went way up. No more wood, better fiberglass and most of the boats I can find come with the 125 salty. However they’re all in the 7-9k range. On the other hand I have found plenty of pre 2000 boats for less than 6k and sometimes in the 4K range. So the question is. How much better is the quality of the newer boats? Is it worth me spending the extra on the newer boat or will the earlier boat’s with the force 120 a fine rig and I’m just over thinking it. Thanks in advance

I would get the newest boat that you can afford. Also, while the Force was a good entry level engine, I'd be inclined to go with a Merc or Yammy. Parts will always be available and they are built to last.
    Don't forget that those pre 2000 boats are getting close to 20 years old and depending on use, and maintenance, they've likely seen better days. That being said, you'll notice that my Trophy is a 1998, but when I bought it 10 years ago, it still had the plastic on the upholstery and had never seen salt water!
    Bob Hawes.
    Kelowna, B.C.
    1998 Trophy 2052 WA
    4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Buy yourself a small hard plastic hammer, use it to test for wet wood in the transom and stringers.
      A very light tap, such as using 2 fingers to hold the hammer, then tap the transom starting from the top then down, listen to the sharp tap at the top, if the bottom is a dull thud then it is wet!
      Same with the stringers on the older models.
      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
      Twin 350 GM power
      Located in Seward, AK
      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys! I guess if there’s a nice pre 2000 boat I’ll give it a thorough look over, otherwise I’ll proabky lean towards the newer one. Both my engines right now are 1982 so I’m not so concerned about older engines since I can work on those. The only thing that scares me in the older ones is the wood stingers and transom and I’ll definitely use the plastic hammer trick. Also, how much did the fiberglass work improve on the newer generations?

Comment

Working...
        X