Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sea Trial

Hi, all...

As I introduced myself to the forum earlier, I am a lifelong sailor but absolute noob power boater. Will be taking possession of our brand new F18 on Friday after performing a sea trial. Apart from the readily apparent stuff, what are some things I need to pay attention to when checking out the boat while on the water or back in the dealers parking lot/service bay?

Thanks so much in advance. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

As it’s a new boat check that everything works as it should. It’s going to handle differently than a sailboat, there is no such thing as a straight line when going slow. Do your sea trial with as close to what you think will be a normal load so that it’s propped correctly from the start. I’ve seen folks purposely overload their intended norm and had the dealer report for that condition. They probably won’t do a wot test, but the hole shot will tell a lot.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I sea-trialed my F18 to death last spring before making the decision to buy. My 16' Element was just too under powered to really enjoy it. The only issue I had was the porpoising issue, which I solved with a set of smart tabs. She will plane with 4 people on boat, with little hesitation. These are great boats and you shouldn't have any issues with it at all. Personally, I wish Bayliner would power it with a 150, and not a 115 - the extra "ummph" would be better for water sports, and, probably get you closer to 40-45, than 35-40. Otherwise great boat for the money.
      '17 F18 - 115 Merc

Comment

I was checking out that F18 at the Seattle boat show. I wish you could buy it with a 150 Yamaha...
        Esteban
        B-ham!
        Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Working...
        X