Mounting scotty down riggers on an 1802 cuddy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting scotty down riggers on an 1802 cuddy

Just bought a 2000 1802 cuddy so I am a newbie Bayliner owner and have one question. Can I mount scotty down riggers on the metal side decks with backing plate of course or are the back decks my only choice?

Please elaborate....are you trying to mount to the gunnels? and what scotties are you planning on using?

Comment

• william bennett
      william bennett commented
      Editing a comment
      Scotty down riggers are depth power 1116 with 36-60 inch boom on swivel mounts. I also have a trap puller that fits the scotty mounts.

I believe you're speaking about the gunnels that have that metal insert type area with a rod holder thru it on each side?

Comment

yeah its the metal inserts I am not sure of. Could I mount them on the metal. Bayliner is no help.

Comment

I think depending on the way the bottom holes are laid out you could drill 2 holes thru the metal part and use 2 self tapping screws thru the fiberglass near the edge. The 2 holes thru the metal could be bolted with screws, nuts and a washer. I'm not sure how much stability is at each edge that holds the insert in. Thus using self tapping screws thru the fiberglass portion of the gunnel and some 3m 5200 glue might stabilize and take some pressure off the entire insert

Comment

My backing plate is 3/8inch x 10 inch aluminum plate which I will cut to fit exactly under the metal part so if I mount that with, lets say, 4 x 1/4 inch stainless steel bolts with fender washers through the metal gunwale do you think the gunwale would take it? I just don't know about tapping into the fibreglass where I really won't know if it is leaking into the boat for years to come. The boat is stored outside on a trailer and it freezes up here during the winter so a small amount of water leaking inside the boat could cause a large problem.

Comment

Again, Mounting to the metal should be fine my only concern is how that metal insert you're mounting to is mounted. To be honest, I don't know if you'd even need a backing plate at all on that metal insert. Drilling through and bolting to it would be fine in my opinion depending on the thickness. The real issue, is once mounted, would the whole metal insert you're mounting to just rip out since I am unaware of how it is itself fixed to the boat. My suggestion of self tapping into the edge of the glass was to ensure stability and having some part of the riggers actually mounted to the boat proper. As far as leaking, that glue I mentioned is marine glue that is coated on the self tapping screws before tightening to ensure a seal and hardening. If there was a genuine concern about leaking, you could also put a bead of silicone over as well. I can tell you that I'm from Michigan and the winters here are quite cold and I haven't had any issues with anything leaking including my downriggers which are mounted directly into the glass.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Once the snow has gone and/or thawed out I will have a go at gittin er done. Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X