Steering linkage or no linkage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering linkage or no linkage

Hello, I'm looking for a bit of insight on this. I am trying to decide whether or not to fabricate a linkage between the kicker and main motors on a 96 2002 wa. I have a 19' aluminum Mirro from the turn of the century with a 115 evinrude that I'm pretty sure originally ran on steam.......I tried using the big motor as a rudder and it was enough to drive me to drink (more than usual of course). The aluminum boat gets pushed around by the wind too much to do this and the constant clicking of the electronic shift mechanism (a.k.a. worst design ever) in the bottom end of the motor was too much. The Trophy is a much heavier boat and I'm hoping I can save myself a day of fabrication if you guys have had any luck with just locking the kicker strait and using the main to steer.

Or if anyone has pictures of their linkages between outboards I could poach a design off.

Comment

your post is slightly confusing to me... do you have a mirro you're working with or a trophy?

if you have power or power assist steering, its not going to work too well, as the drag of the hydraulics will soon wear you out... but if you dont have power assist steering, it should work fine.

locking the kicker straight and attempting to use the main as a rudder, wont work... it would be fine if you had some speed on and didnt have to worry about staying on a line, but it sounds like you are trying to set up for trolling, and at trolling speeds, just a slight bit of breeze over the bow is going to cause steerage problems... and the trophy may be heavier, but it also has more surface area to catch the wind, and the weight really isnt a factor as to whether the boat will blow off course when the wind is forward of the quarter...because it will no matter.

NU LIBERTE'
      Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
      5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
      N2K equipped throughout..
      2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
      2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
      '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
      Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

That's sound advise. I'm just trying to get out of fabricating the linkage between motors. I have both boats. The mirro is soon to be on the auction block and the trophy is going to take its place.

Comment

There is a product called EZ steer. It’s just what you want. http://www.ezsteer.com/
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I've looked at those ez steer units. It's probably the design I'll copy. I just didn't know if someone had come up with something different.

Comment

Working...
            X