Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trophy fish boxes

Hi everyone
    ​​​​​​ 1st thing looking for some tips on weather stripping or some sort of gasket to use around fish boxes as many of you know they tend to fill up with rain water.
    2nd thing is the macerate pump. Mine doesn’t pump anything out I can hear it humming away but nothing coming out the hull fitting it may be just plugged a lot of pine needles around where I am. My issue is getting to it. It seems to me I need to me I need to become stretch Armstrong or get a trained monkey to crawl into get at it. I’m toying with two ideas
    1 installing an access panel where the jump seat goes this should allow me to get to it.
    2 installing another pump in a more accessible location with new hoses removing as much of the old hoses as I can and just leaving the old one in and if I ever have to pull the motor I can remove the old one then.
    I’m leaning towards #1. If the pump is just plugged a panel would be a lot cheaper than a new pump and hoses and I probably could also install a removable tray and have some more storage. Any suggestions would be appreciated
    ​​​​​​ I guess I should mention it’s a 1991 Trophy 2352 Mercury 5.7

im not sure if the boxes you have for trophy fish are much different than the one that I have that only seem to hold minnows, but as for sealing them better, bulb seal applied to the underside of the lid works great. any full service RV store will carry self stick bulb seal... first, clean the surface well with alchol, then measure and mark where the seal needs to be applied so that when the lid is on, the seal will land on the coaming of the box opening..... then peel and stick

IF you are NOT going use it as a fish box, once the lid is sealed so water doesnt run in, its better to remove the pump and let any residual moisture run in to the bilge....

but the pump bayliner used in the fish box is a very low volume pump.. but it should be a cartridge pump, which is easier to disassemble and clean than the regular style of pumps are.

also look at the discharge hose, as Ive seen these get clogged with debris because the low volume pump doesnt seem to have the power/flow to lift particles up the discharge loop so it can get out of the hose...

NU LIBERTE'
    Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
    5.7 OMC Cobra
    N2K equipped throughout..

Comment

I purchased "M-D Building Products 1025 All-Climate Auto and Marine 17-Feet Weather Seal Strip, Black" and applied it to the edge of the fish box and battery hatch. Works very well no more rain water filling them up. Just cleaned off the surface with mineral sprites and applied it to the highest part. Keeps them from rattling also. When I take it out of storage I'll post of picture.
      2004 Trophy 2359
      5.7 liter Carb
      Alpha
      15 hp Merc Kicker

Comment

Those pumps are Johnston, with replaceable cartridges. They are very awkward to get at, but I was able to get at mine by removing the battery, using a mirror and flashlight to spot where the cartridge release is, using my 3rd arm, and then taking it out. Keep in mind, these are NOT macerator pumps. They are just water pumps. It takes very little to plug these units. Make sure that you have the debris filter on the tank side of the outlet. I have used compressed air blown in through the port on the side of the hull with some success. Don't run that pump when it's plugged. If the fuse doesn't trip, you will burn it out. Due to the lack of space back there, adding a macerator pump and making the necessary hose connections will be very difficult. The existing pump is attached to where you're thinking of cutting the hole.
        Bob Hawes.
        Kelowna, B.C.
        1998 Trophy 2052 WA
        4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Originally posted by bhawes View Post
          Those pumps are Johnston, with replaceable cartridges. They are very awkward to get at, but I was able to get at mine by removing the battery, using a mirror and flashlight to spot where the cartridge release is, using my 3rd arm, and then taking it out. Keep in mind, these are NOT macerator pumps. They are just water pumps. It takes very little to plug these units. Make sure that you have the debris filter on the tank side of the outlet. I have used compressed air blown in through the port on the side of the hull with some success. Don't run that pump when it's plugged. If the fuse doesn't trip, you will burn it out. Due to the lack of space back there, adding a macerator pump and making the necessary hose connections will be very difficult. The existing pump is attached to where you're thinking of cutting the hole.
          Bob, where did you buy the cartridges? I just bought a 2052 that has both pumps broken from water being left in the tank and freezing. Thanks!

Comment

I have found replacement cartridge on Amazon. I can reach both of mine, I take the hoses of in the winter to let the water drain into bildge. I have a 1998 2352. Yours sounds like it's different location.

Comment

Working...
            X