Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985/1986 Trophy 2860

Hello all,

just bought a trophy 2860 and was hoping to find out the pros and cons of this model. The boat doesn't have any info on what was originally. At some point it was repowered and the out drive looks newer, it's a VP with a Kodak 350. Someone removed the stove, sink and refrigerator. It looks to be a good platform for a fishing boat, but I find it strange there are not more out there. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

The 2860 is a fishing boat model of the VERY popular 2850 Contessa (later 2855 Ciera) wide beam. They are pretty rare, but they were also offered with dual 5.0L inboards as a special order.

Pretty special boat, honestly.
    Matt Train
    BOC Site Team
    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

• Sean AK Fishin
      Sean AK Fishin commented
      Editing a comment
      I currently have 2459 trophy and and have enjoyed it for the most part. I'm hoping this 2860 is more stable on rougher seas as my wife gets sea sick, it should be. Hoping to hear back on things to look for that are known problems.

• Download_Complete
      Download_Complete commented
      Editing a comment
      It will be a lot more stable. It's basically the Contessa hull without the top heavy weight.

If you're looking for ideas of what could be done check out this 2860:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987...s#.Wih6ejdryUk

James
    1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
    Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
    Lowrance Electronics!
    MMSI
    Boating on Georgian Bay

Comment

James that is a beautiful 2860 and the one I pick up is a long way from that, but some awesome ideas. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by MacPhid View Post
        If you're looking for ideas of what could be done check out this 2860:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987...s#.Wih6ejdryUk

James
        That is one of the rare twin engine inboard 2860s. I can count the ones I have seen with my hands, going back to 1986. MOst are single 5.7L Volvo stern drives.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Sean, that 2860 should have a massive fishing cockpit without the inboards eating up space, is there a doghouse over the engine? Sort of a big brother to my 2556 without the flybridge. Post up some pics when ya get a chance.
          As with any older boat regardless of model, check for solid transom/stringer structure and look hard at the condition of the fuel tank. Ask me how I know.....
          Last edited by builderdude; 12-07-2017, 10:09 AM.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

The fishing deck is large, much bigger the my 2459. Yes there is a dog house. I plan on taking lots of pics, first to show how dirty the out side is. Much to my surprise when I opened all the hatches it was much cleaner. The stringers and transom all look good. I have yet to test the tank, fingers crossed. As I see from your posted pics you pulled a tank. That's the same kind of fun as poking your eye with a dull stick.

Comment

My brother owned a 1987 2860 while I had / have a 2459, he was the second owner and sold it a couple years ago when we determined that having spent it's life in a salt slip it had taken a toll that he didn't want to deal with.
              It was time for manifolds and elbows but there was no way the old ones were coming off without pulling the engine, the manifold bolt heads were corroded and fused to the cast iron so badly that they didn't have any hex shape left to them after chipping away the scale.
              At that point he was facing a re-power as it made no since to pull the engine and then put that salted one back it with 700+ hours on it.

That model does have a dog house "Bump", it is about 2 to 3" high, that was another Bayliner blunder, that they didn't raise the rear deck enough to make it flat.

The 1987 came with a Cobra drive and a 350, the first owner had it re-powered in the second year due to the shifting / gear eating problems of the Cobra in that early year model and the fact that it was under powered for that load. He put a 454 with a Volvo DP 290 in it.........sweet !

When Bro sold it, the buyer drove down from Washington with a trailer and the needed oversize load permit and drove off very happy..

There is a HUGE difference in size between my 2459 and a 2860, see pics.

Edit; to OP, if you have a 85 / 86 you should have a VP out drive, hopefully it's still there.
              " WET EVER "
              1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
              mmsi 338108404
              mmsi 338124956
              "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

It's only a rock, get over it.

Comment

DK, I have the 2860 parked next to my 2459 and there is a big difference in size. The VP dual is still there but it has Ben repowered,with a newer 350. Can anyone tell me if the outdrive is all the way up will the motor turn over? The motor is free and we bench tested the starter but can't get the motor the turn when we turn the key. The coil is energized but the starter will not engage. Not sure if the starter and or coil are wired correctly, looking not this.

Thanks

Comment

So the engine can be turned with a wrench but the starter just clicks? You have a good battery and solid connections at both ends of the battery cables? Heres how a typical SBC starter is wired. As for the drive, I'd keep it in the down position while attempting to run the engine.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	397939
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                  (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                  The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                  Misc. projects thread
                  https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
                  X