Rod mounting ideas for trolling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rod mounting ideas for trolling

I have an F18 and currently have traxtech mounts for my downriggers at the rear. They work great, but only allow for 2 rods to be out. Does anyone have any ideas on how to mount any side mounts for dipsies or lead core use? Having some difficulty with the width of the gunnels finding anything...thanks

I use a sleeve mount for my downriggers, pot puller and gas bbq. The sleeve is made from 3/16” aluminum and each device is attached to a male angle. The sleeves are bolted to the inner gunnel and are hidden normally.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

This is currently what I use for my down riggers. I'd like to have at least 2 more holders for each side but feel limited in choices due to the gunnels width and the glass without some sort of backing plate. The rails you see allow me to slide my riggers into place at the rear but become nearly invisible when not in use. Only thing I wish this boat had designed for it since it is supposed to be a fishing boat is the ability to easily mount rod holders. Either that, or make some included.

Comment

For anyone curious about mounting fishing rod holders let me know, I went to a fishing show and finally found the perfect way to mount them on this boat. I spoke to the actual owner of the company and he is very familiar with the dilemma we face owning an f series boat and the gunnel situation.

Comment

I am very interested as I bought the boat late season and have not used it yet. I just bought 2 downriggers and am looking into rod holders....cabelas has some cheapo plastic ones that actually worked well on my last boat....my other thought for the downriggers is a product called the V lock. What have you come up with

Comment

Let me know when you might be on here or have a few minutes.....my downriggers are Scotty and slide into the tracks in the pics, they work perfectly...problem was mounting other rod holders. Just ordered the parts today for 2 rod holders that are metal and mounted on the gunnels...

Comment

I’ve had my F18 for two years now and love it, but you’re right about the narrow gunnels. I have Cannon downriggers but used Scotty right angle side mounts. They are really strong and easy to put on and take off. For dipsies, I have stainless steel slide in rod holders that I heated up with a torch and bent so that they’d run parallel with the water. Again, very strong. I salmon fish out of Manistee, Michigan and anyone that fishes salmon know that you can’t use plastic rod holders. As for copper/leadcore set-ups, I use stainless rail mount holders mounted to either the rail around the console or the Bimini top bows, if it’s up. This is a family boat, and even though my wife rarely goes out with me, if I want, everything can be removed and stowed away. I can show you pics of my setup in April, when she comes out of storage.

Comment

We were going to talk last year....I fish out of Ludington

Comment

New rod holders in hand, black metal plates and construction

Comment

properly, the down riggers should be mounted forward, with the rods rearward of them... this allows the best accessability when setting the lines in the releases, and prevents the line from tangling in the rigging of the down rigger on sharp turns or if the boat should stop or get blown off course suddenly in a strong gust of headwind.

NU LIBERTE'
                    Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                    5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                    N2K equipped throughout..
                    2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                    2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                    '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                    Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Thanks centerline, but I was looking for ideas on how,where,what to mount for extra rod holders for trolling i.e. Dips divers or lead core lines. Trying to find solutions or ideas because of the lack of options with the smaller gunnels on the f18. As I stated before I have found the perfect solution that allows for minimal cosmetic changes to my boat, but gives me exactly what I need. Pictures once completed

Comment

Would love to see the above mentioned "perfect solution". Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X