Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layed back sid
    replied
    I have a 2002 and went from a 125 two stroke to 175 Suzuki 4 stroke and so much better on gas and I also added trim tabs and it was a big help and made a different ride all together, a must thing that should be done..

Leave a comment:

• Layed back sid
    replied
    I just got a new 4 stoke 175 Suzuki and just love it, my old motor was a 125 2 stoke Merc but a good running motor but it did like to drink gas like twice of what the 175 Suzuki does, love this motor.

Leave a comment:

• ultrafast
    replied
    My tabs are Bennett Performance Sport Tab ST9. I got a killer deal on them on Ebay. I really wanted 12" tabs but, couldn't pass up deal so, I extended them about 3" myself. That's why they look funky.

Leave a comment:

• Tillerman
    replied
    Ultrafast,

what is the make of your trim tabs?

Leave a comment:

• Tillerman
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks man,im in the middle of selling my merc 175,here its very rare to find big outboards due to taxes and fuel consump
    Im converting this merc to LPG,will update as i go,before selling it

• ultrafast
    replied
    Now to the nuts and bolts of your project. Engine height is very important. It took me a lot of trials to get it right with a heavier motor. You can search Internet. But, I can tell you this.. My motor ended up bolted to the very highest it could. The anti cavitation plate is 2" above keel. This will make sense to you after some research.
    The other thing is proper propeller. On my motor I went back and forth with a Mirage 17" and a 19". The 17 over revved my motor to 6,000 rpm. The 19 under revved to 5,200 rpm. I had the 19 worked down to 18" and now my rpm are a perfect 5,600 @49mph. Get the biggest diameter you can. Mine is 15 1/4". I even had the trailing edge cupped to help with acceleration. Here are pics of my trim tabs I mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• Alaskanmutt
    replied
    NP Tillerman, be careful out there. Here in the US registrations do not list the engines. At least not in any of the states I have lived in.

Leave a comment:

• Tillerman
    replied
    Hey Guys,

thank for the input,my quest is not to go faster,i run a fellowship game fishing concern,love the Trophy┬┤s,i only had interest in this outboard as i can get is cheap,i would not attemp to do more then 30 knots anyway(lives on board),

My insurance is not particular to what i use,My flag is Dutch registered mainly because the beaurocracy in Portugal,

My question is,
    If i had to install this outboard,keep to standard accelarations,would it be ok,
    I dont think changing my label on the boat could be a problem as long as it matches my boat registration,

Thanks a stax

Leave a comment:

• Alaskanmutt
    replied
    Sorry Ultrafast, anything over 20 is not required UNLESS it is a member of and built to ABYC standard then do have the plate. Part of the certification, Onh yea, Brunswick boats are built to ABYC standards...... And since it does have the plate the CG and LE will pay attention to it. And your insurance company will deny any claims if they find you over hp'd the boat. But since the OP is in Portugal I have no idea on their rules. But the fact the transom is only rated for 175 should tell you something.

Leave a comment:

• ultrafast
    replied
    Alaskan guy is wrong. Anything over 20' can be "over powered" and can go over the passenger/weight limit. That's a federal rule. The plate on boats over 20' is what is recommended. Our boat in this case is classified 20'1".

Leave a comment:

• Alaskanmutt
    replied
    Hmmm, I have no idea on how strict your laws are or how tough the enforcement is. As for swapping the cowling or decals, that will not fool anyone. The cowling most likely will not fit and just looking at it should show it is not a 175 (a 250 is physically larger than the 175.) If you really need that much hp you need to look for a boat built for it. Another problem you will run into is terminal hull velocity. Hulls have a limit as to the speed they will go depending on design, the 2002 is a semi displacement hull, you go above the designed speeds and it becomes unstable.

Your best bet would be sticking with a 175 like a E-Tec Evinrude. I had a coworker that put the 175 E-Tec on his 93 2002 and it ran spectacular. My 93 had a Suzuki DF 140 and was underpowered for the weight of the engine. Besides the fact it squatted the stern too much and allowed water to back feed through the scuppers in any type of weather.

Leave a comment:

• Tillerman
    replied
    I reside in Portugal

Leave a comment:

• Tillerman
    replied
    here is a shortcut question,can i swop the engine cowling to a 175 or replace the decal?

Leave a comment:

• Alaskanmutt
    replied
    Now for the rest of the news. That boat is rated for a max of 175. That does not mean the weight of an engine but the hp. If you go over the rated amount the transom will suffer and will eventually fail. When it does you will not be covered by any insurance.

And if you boat where there is any law enforcement they can ticket you for going over the rated amount, Coast Guard can make you return to shore until it is rectified. If you are in any type of accident even bumping a boat in the harbor your insurance company can deny the claim.

Leave a comment:

• Tillerman
    replied
    can you elaborate on the trim tab,thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X