Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metz123
    replied
    Would inserting a check valve into the line also solve the problem? (Water won't flow back into the bilge when the pump auto stops).

------Ok just read all about check valves in the cruisers forum. Bad idea...I'm going to check that the discharge has a correct loop and then elevate the pump about 1/2 an inch...

Leave a comment:

• jongleur
    replied
    I'm surprised that people (even some civil engineers)
    don't commonly know that
    you must pump as near to straight up as possible
    before allowing the water to fall to its exit..
    Then calculate the volume of the hose before it
    angles down to its exit. If that volume is more
    than the volume in the bilge area to be evacuated,
    the water will back down, fill the area and activate
    the bilge pump, in an endless cycle.

Leave a comment:

• matt_e18
    replied
    Had the same exact issue on my 2021 E18. Water in the bilge would be pumped out, then after it shut off, water rushed back down the hose filling the bilge triggering it to pump again. Would cycle on/off until the battery was dead (have two batteries). Fortunately my boat was still under warranty. The service shop stated they raised the pump 1/4 - 1/2" and added a loop in the hose such that less water rushes back into the bilge, most remains in the hose (and replaced the battery). Issue is not the pump, it is the plumbing.

Link to the posts on this topic last year: https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...-cycles-on-off

Leave a comment:

• metz123
    started a topic Auto bilge pump won’t shut off

Auto bilge pump won’t shut off

I have a 2016 Element XL that I put in a slip last summer (I used to haul it in and out). The few times it rained last summer I came down to the slip and found the auto bilge running even though there was little water in the bilge. A quick dip of a rag into the bilge sucked up enough water to turn the pump off. Once the pump had run long enough to drain the battery. The bilge pump is your standard Atwood Gs1100 with internal float. I pulled the pump today and it doesn’t look like anything is broken. The internal float isn’t full of water and there’s no debris in either the bilge or the strainer that would possibly have prevented the float from deactivating. It took the removal of very little water to have the float shut off.

Are there any adjustments that can be made to the float to get it to shut off at the correct water level? If I raid the entire pump by 1/2 inch would that make it shut off correctly? I’m not a big fan of having my battery drained when I go down to my boat or should I just replace the entire unit and assume it’s defective (it doesn’t seem like it is)
Working...
X