Bayliner element sponson talk again….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner element sponson talk again….

Ok. So my Bayliner element had water in the sponsons three years ago. So, the dealer, as per the factory, added drain plugs to my sponsons. One question I had asked them was, “my boat is in the water all summer. How do those drain plugs help me out? How often do I need to pull my boat out of the water? Trailer gets stored at dealer up in a rack, am I supposed to come by every week and drain my boat?” They said, “ it won’t fill up quickly, and if they do, it will stop when the sponsons are full, which isn’t a lot because they are foam filled” 😂 well guess what? A lot of rain the last 6 weeks. Boat has been sitting about two inches lower than usual. When you get in the boat, water starts running up and down the floor from places unseen. Pulled the boat out of the water today. Left side had 4 litres of water come out. That’s when I stopped measuring. It ran out for about 29 minutes after and you can here gargling sounds from inside the boat. So…. What is the actual fix? Sponsons fill up, and start overflowing now, and eventually make its way to the bilge? Who knows how heavy it’s making the boat. Who knows how much rot is happening under the floor and to the foam. I’m trying to contact Bayliner now.

The M hull is a crime against boating and should be in a class action lawsuit by now.

The sponsons were never intended to be wet. Stringers will rot, flotation is lost, performance is lost, boat needs to be removed from the water to drain and the resale value sinks along with the boat.

Name another boat that needs to be removed from the water to be drained? My wife and I couldn't get the Element off our property fast enough.

Poor performance is why most owners discover "water in the sponsons help." Either they can't get on plane or they are drilling to ad trim tabs to prevent poor ride characteristics only to find they are loosing performance by hauling water in the hull.

Amazing that Bayliner has been dealing with this problem since the M hull premiered in 2013 and their response is "we will install drains if water is found." Even more amazing the introduction of the M15 and M17 to continue the strong legacy of extremely poor performance and "cost of ownership."

Just read this forum and discover many owners that have admitted to all the flaws with the Element and M hull, yet Its almost like the Stockholm Syndrome where you start to like your captors and they defend being held hostage. Its OK gentleman, the syndrome will stop with the sale of your boat. Some owners have created hazardous mods to overcome the poor engineering of the Element. Others will agree with all the issues, but don't want it discuss them, maybe the buyers remorse of not purchasing a boat that meets the expectations of ownership.

My advise to CandaBoyd, its not the end of the world, just the end of the M hull being an asset in your world. Every other boat on the market, past and present doesn't have this defect and also has better performance.

"The Profit"
    Sunny West Coast Florida
    Tahoe T16 75 2019 "Victory Lap"
    Nimble Sport Boat -smooth, dry, tight deep banked turns,
    excellent hole shot/top end, absolute beast in rough water.
    Would make James Bond smile.
    Bayliner E16 75 2018 Sold
    The Tricycle of Boats - pounding, splashing, cavitation, porpoising, sliding out of turns, water in sponsons, complete lack of dry space, no drain fuel compartment, seats fly when trailering, Gave wife neck pain.

Comment

I asked the same question to Bayliner last year, also asked how it would affect the hull warranty if I didn't pull the boat out occasionally to drain the sponsons. They wouldn't give me an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by atcfan View Post
        I asked the same question to Bayliner last year, also asked how it would affect the hull warranty if I didn't pull the boat out occasionally to drain the sponsons. They wouldn't give me an answer.
        They are not likely to answer a question about a hypothetical warranty claim. But the warranty is a contract, and there is nothing in the contract that requires you to drain your sponsons. If there is hull rot and it is not caused by negligence or a modification on the part of the owner, and it is within the warranty period (which is "lifetime" on the hull for the original purchaser, though not sure who's lifetime), then it is likely a manufacturing defect and it should be covered; this is basic US warranty law (it's probably also a design defect that allows the manufacturing defect to occur but that is irrelevant).

There is no real data because as far as I know there has not been a warranty claim for hull rot due to leaky sponsons (not that it would necessarily be public information). There was a claim that I read about (perhaps on here) where there was some rot in the center section of one of the Polish-built Elements, but IIRC the rot was in the center section and not a sponson, and it was caused by a Bayliner dealer improperly cutting and sealing a large hole for a cockpit table. The owner ended up getting some deal done with Brunswick to resolve the issue.

I drain a few ounces of water per season out of my port sponson, and have done so for all of the 5 seasons/300 engine hours that we have used the boat. No issues so far.

Comment

When I bought my boat new back in 2019 after I put a deposit on the boat but before I picked it up from the dealer I emailed Bayliner and asked them if they wanted to have the dealer install sponson drains before I picked up the boat from the dealer. The response I got from them was that there were no issues with the 2018 element xl and that the sponson issues was resolved in the 2017 model. I recall seeing a few posts on this forum for sponson issues in 2018 and newer Elements. The issue I have is with the company not with the boat. Both times I have talked to Bayliner about the sponson issues they seemed defensive about it which makes me feel like they would try to weezle their way out of honoring the hull warranty if there was any kind of rot in the transom ect and would require obtaining a lawyer if you needed to resolve warranty issue. That's just my opinion though. Again I like the boat just a little skeptical on how the company handles the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by atcfan View Post
            When I bought my boat new back in 2019 after I put a deposit on the boat but before I picked it up from the dealer I emailed Bayliner and asked them if they wanted to have the dealer install sponson drains before I picked up the boat from the dealer. The response I got from them was that there were no issues with the 2018 element xl and that the sponson issues was resolved in the 2017 model. I recall seeing a few posts on this forum for sponson issues in 2018 and newer Elements. The issue I have is with the company not with the boat. Both times I have talked to Bayliner about the sponson issues they seemed defensive about it which makes me feel like they would try to weezle their way out of honoring the hull warranty if there was any kind of rot in the transom ect and would require obtaining a lawyer if you needed to resolve warranty issue. That's just my opinion though. Again I like the boat just a little skeptical on how the company handles the issue.

That's quite a bit of "down the road" speculation. Brunswick is a big company with a long history. I don't think that they would have gotten where they are if they were that sleazy. As far as I can tell you have no issues and have been denied nothing, but if you are concerned now is a good time to sell. Boats are in short supply and you can probably get all of your money out of the boat, and then you can buy something from a company that you have more confidence in. But if you are going to stear clear of Brunswick, that limits your choices a little.....lol....(no boston whalers, no sea rays, no Lowes, no mercury motors, just for starters....)

Comment

Working...
            X