Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Element E-16 smart tabs ride question

Hello all
    i have a 2017 e16 with the 75hp and was wondering about smart tabs.
    On my boat with two aboard when working with the motor trim I noticed that if I trim the motor up, the ride gets much smoother and if I trim the motor down it gets rougher. Basically the hits are more abrupt when trimmed down . In searching for that smoother ride (softer hits on the chop) by trimming the motor up the boat begins to porpoise. So my choice is smoother porpoising or harder hits on the chop without porpoising.
    I feel that the trim tabs will give similar results as trimming down as from what I understand they push the nose down. I guess it’s like most boats in that riding on the deeper V (towards the aft) gives a smoother ride quality.
    Any comments from anyone with these on their e16 would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2017 e16 I purchased used and noticed some porpoising. My answer was the installation of a SE Sport 400 hydrofoil that bolts onto the motor. The thing was on sale at Bass Warehouse for about $50 with free shipping and very easy to install. I noticed an immediate difference in ride quality and it seemed to have tamed the beast. I rarely ever trim the motor now but notice I can get maybe two MPH better if I trim up just a little bit when running at full throttle.

Comment

Gforty, I have the exact same boat as you. I have had the SE Sport hydrofoil as JimH mentioned but really wasn't satisfied with it so I replaced it with the trim tabs. The TT help the boat get up on plane very quick and even lets me trim a little more than without them or when the hydrofoil was on. We will never get that cut across the wakes as a vbottom boat but if you do trim up a bit it will keep the splash from coming over the bow in rough waters. And you should pick up a couple of mph's with either the trim tabs or hydrofoil. Good luck, and we will look forward to what you decide and your results.

Note: if you want to pick up even more speed remove your restrictor plate.

Comment

Bolting anything to the lower unit voids the lower unit warranty. Bennett Smart tabs are are the way to go, they are adjustable for tuning. Just don't install them in the way or your existing or future sponson drains. No matter what you decide you are treating the symptom and not the cause.

"The Profit"
        Sunny West Coast Florida
        Tahoe T16 75 2019 "Victory Lap"
        Nimble Sport Boat -smooth, dry, tight deep banked turns,
        excellent hole shot/top end, absolute beast in rough water.
        Would make James Bond smile.
        Bayliner E16 75 2018 Sold
        The Tricycle of Boats - pounding, splashing, cavitation, porpoising, sliding out of turns, water in sponsons, complete lack of dry space, no drain fuel compartment, seats fly when trailering, Gave wife neck pain.

Comment

[QUOTE=Note: if you want to pick up even more speed remove your restrictor plate. [/QUOTE]

Voids the engine warranty and for what? I guess when you are tired of the pounding and splashing and just want to get off the water ASAP? The Element is not a sport boat by ANY means. Perhaps better to retain all warranties for the exit strategy.

"The Profit"
          Sunny West Coast Florida
          Tahoe T16 75 2019 "Victory Lap"
          Nimble Sport Boat -smooth, dry, tight deep banked turns,
          excellent hole shot/top end, absolute beast in rough water.
          Would make James Bond smile.
          Bayliner E16 75 2018 Sold
          The Tricycle of Boats - pounding, splashing, cavitation, porpoising, sliding out of turns, water in sponsons, complete lack of dry space, no drain fuel compartment, seats fly when trailering, Gave wife neck pain.

Comment

Smart tabs should come standard on the element. I put them on mine and wished I had done it sooner. Click image for larger version

Name:	smart tabs.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	632986

Comment

• Gforty
              Gforty commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the picture. Did you remove your transducer?
              Also did the mounting screws for the tabs penetrate through the hull where, if you had water in the sponson, it would have drained?

Originally posted by The profit View Post

Voids the engine warranty and for what? I guess when you are tired of the pounding and splashing and just want to get off the water ASAP? The Element is not a sport boat by ANY means. Perhaps better to retain all warranties for the exit strategy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	troll.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	632991

Comment

Thanks for all the informative replies. I think I’ll go with the tabs.
              The positioning based on the possibility of needing drain plugs installed has been in the back of my mind.
              We just had a massive rain fall last night and I had the cover off and the boat trailer raised at the front to facilitate draining after washing. I checked the gas tank compartment and it had about 4 inches of standing water…. Yikes. I vacuumed it out as it seems to be watertight. This is probably my fault as having the bow elevated does not allow the water to flow around the cushion and into the deck area but instead allows it to congregate to the back and drain into the fuel compartment.

On a positive note I used it to pull a wakeboarder for the first time and was pleasantly surprised at how well it pulled the boarder out of the water with two on board. Alsoi would say that the boat rides much better with three aboard wife and I noticed that yesterday. All in all, considering the price I paid, the room it has, it’s been great so far for the year I’ve had it.
              Cheers all!
              Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Gforty View Post
                Thanks for all the informative replies. I think I’ll go with the tabs.
                The positioning based on the possibility of needing drain plugs installed has been in the back of my mind.
                We just had a massive rain fall last night and I had the cover off and the boat trailer raised at the front to facilitate draining after washing. I checked the gas tank compartment and it had about 4 inches of standing water…. Yikes. I vacuumed it out as it seems to be watertight. This is probably my fault as having the bow elevated does not allow the water to flow around the cushion and into the deck area but instead allows it to congregate to the back and drain into the fuel compartment.

On a positive note I used it to pull a wakeboarder for the first time and was pleasantly surprised at how well it pulled the boarder out of the water with two on board. Alsoi would say that the boat rides much better with three aboard wife and I noticed that yesterday. All in all, considering the price I paid, the room it has, it’s been great so far for the year I’ve had it.
                Cheers all!
                Graham
                There is virtually no way to keep water out of the fuel compartment, unless the boat is garaged; the drainage channels around the edges are not nearly deep enough. My boat is covered 95% of the time and between seepage through the aging cover and what runs in through the watersports arch openings, I usually have an inch or two of water to pump out every weekend. I have a couple of those $10 D-cell powered transfer pumps that I just stick in there and pump it right over the transom...

Some guys have drilled holes in the rear bulkhead so that it drains into the bilge (on e18's anyway, not sure if the same can be done on E16's), but that is dangerous because it lets fuel vapors into the unventilated bilge. Bayliner sealed it off from the bilge and ventilated it for a reason.....

Comment

Working...
                X