X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ram78109
    Fresh Face
    • Nov 2020

Trailering w Snap-On Cover?

Has anyone had any issue's trailering their Element with the snap-on cover in place? Would you recommend it/not?

Seasoned Member
    • Mar 2007

I never tow with any canvas on any boat. Snap on or drawstring covers, especially, are not designed for it. They are not tight enough, and when they start to flap in the breeze, bad stuff happens.

Comment

• CparkerE16
      Frequent Contributor
      • Jul 2019

Those snaps will beat the hell out of your gel coat when they flutter in the wind. Snap on cover is definitely not made for towing.

Comment

• bobofthenorth
        Seasoned Member
        • Sep 2017

The only road tarp I've ever owned that worked consistently was a heavy canvas with a drawstring that came well below the gunwale plus 1" straps that pulled it down to the trailer. That one would occasionally beat the gelcoat if the wind was in the wrong place but it never came loose. I like a good road tarp but the good ones are few and far between. Snaps are definitely not going to work. Turnbuttons maybe but never snaps.
        R.J.(Bob) Evans
        Buchanan, SK
        Cierra 2755
        Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
        Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

• builderdude
          BOC Site Team
          • Oct 2013

Hmmm, not an Element but I towed my 1800 at highway speeds many times with a custom made snap on mooring cover (with tent poles) and never had an issues.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX" '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II
          The Rebuild Of My 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          My Misc. Projects
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

• Rick_Kenyon
            Supporting Member
            • Mar 2007

I hauled my old 2755 once with the original mooring cover that came with it. It lasted about 50 miles on the interstate and was shredded. Had a canvas shop make a mooring cover out of the thickest material available at the time. It was heavy canvas but it stood up to trailering at highway speeds. Also had them double the snaps to mount it with. Anything less won’t last and will be shredded quickly.
            1990 2755 - sold
            2005 275 - sold (now boatless)

Comment

• Ram78109
              Fresh Face
              • Nov 2020

Thanks to all who responded. Wish Bayliner was more clear on this, but sounds like its not worth the risk.

Comment

Seasoned Member
                • Mar 2007

RTFM. Section 8 of your Sportboat owners manual, that came with your boat, says to remove any covers, etc. before trailering. Page 35 of the Element supplement has a big highlighted section at the top of the page that says "Take down and securely stow ALL canvas BEFORE your boat is transported by road."

How much clearer do you want them to be?

Comment

• Rick_Kenyon
                  Rick_Kenyon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Also remove all seat cushions that aren’t attached to the seat base. . Don’t ask how I know.
              • jimhalay
                Frequent Contributor
                • Nov 2019

Duh, I thought the snap on canvas cover was for trailering. I purchased my e16 in New Jersey and towed it 1300 miles to Floridia with no problems and use the cover whenever I tow the boat on the highway. I do not exceed 65 mph though. No ripping, tearing or gelcoat chafe occurred.

Comment

Seasoned Member
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jimhalay
                  Duh, I thought the snap on canvas cover was for trailering. I purchased my e16 in New Jersey and towed it 1300 miles to Floridia with no problems and use the cover whenever I tow the boat on the highway. I do not exceed 65 mph though. No ripping, tearing or gelcoat chafe occurred.
                  I am sure that Bayliner will forgive you. I guess the (modified) saying goes "Just because you can doesn't mean you should," and perhaps the corollary is "Just because you shouldn't doesn't mean you can't."

Or something like that.

I have the distinct displeasure of driving route 95 (through Virginia) a lot, and I see a lot of boats being trailered up and down. Of the boats on trailers that I see that have canvas on them, I would say that more than half are flapping in the breeze, getting shredded and likely causing damage. Uncovered boats and shrinkwrapped boats have no issues (well I have seen shrinkwrap flapping a few times too).

Comment

• jimhalay
                    jimhalay commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Two comments in response.

I am a first time motor boat owner at 68 years old and just didn't know about the dangers of towing with canvas covers. Since my boat is stored in the garage and has about two million snaps I assumed the cover was for towing. Also, are the dealers responsible for installing accessories? In that case it seems they did a great job with lots a snaps but installed the bimini cockeyed. I had to realign and reinstall two support brackets.

Second comment, Bayliner forgive me? I am trying to forgive them for the myriad of little design gaffs they allowed to pass through there engineer and design departments. For instance why place the driver's seat 3 feet from the steering wheel? Instead, how about making the steering pedestal 6 inches longer and putting a door in it for huge amount of storage? Overall, I believe the boat is genius for all the things it does do, in this price range, so I will forgive them for the little problems that they allowed to pass.
                • Rick_Kenyon
                  Supporting Member
                  • Mar 2007

A new snap on cover May last for several trips, or perhaps longer. Leaving it out in the elements, exposed to UV and weather, eventually they get brittle and will shred. If you don’t do a lot of highway trailering, you may be good for a long time. Depends on how you trail and what speeds you run at.
                  1990 2755 - sold
                  2005 275 - sold (now boatless)

Comment

Seasoned Member
                    • Mar 2007

Every factory cockpit cover that I ever had came with a label similar to this one (this on a Robalo cover; i have the mooring cover, not a cockpit cover, for the E18)

Comment

Working...