Bayliner Element Towing from The Sports Arch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner Element Towing from The Sports Arch

So, some of us are in 4-5 years with our Elements. A lot of people at the beginning were towing tubes from their sports arch. Those people that tow from the arch, are you still doing it? After 4-5 years of doing it have you seen any concerning wear on the arch or the mounts? Any fibreglass cracks near the mounts? Give us your “towing from the arch” review after you’ve done it for a few years.

2014 owner here...been towing since day one...no issues, cracks, or wear and tear. I even put a 90Hp on my 16'...more torque and HP...still no issues. :-) I'm not dumb...I don't tow 3-4 adults with it, will use the y-harness for that...but kids, no proplem.
    2014 Flight Package 16' Element
    Upgrades: 90HP Merc, NFB Helm, Smart Tabs, 4 Blade 15P Prop, MercMonitor Gauge, Bimini Top, Custom Steering Wheel, Stainless Cup Holders, Radio w/4 speaker and Subwoofer + Amp

Lacey, WA

Comment

efarstad, please tell us about this 90hp you have on your boat. I also own a E16 and would be interested as all men in more HP!
      I have the 2017 E16 with the 75hp but that was the largest outboard they would put on it. I have been waiting on others to upgrade their computers since the 75, 90 and 115 motors all all the same internally.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidTherapy View Post
        efarstad, please tell us about this 90hp you have on your boat. I also own a E16 and would be interested as all men in more HP!
        I have the 2017 E16 with the 75hp but that was the largest outboard they would put on it. I have been waiting on others to upgrade their computers since the 75, 90 and 115 motors all all the same internally.
        I originally purchased it with a 60 CT engine and like many found it quicky did not meet my needs. I went to my local mercury mechanic who also provided sales and bought a new 90HP from him. I had a new boat capacity plate made that said 90HP as max engine size just in case someone went looking. :-) Had it made here: https://garzonstudio.com/ Before and after were identical except HP size. Now I realize the implications of warranty service from Bayliner after making this change, but to me...the bigger engine was worth the role of the dice. I am fortunate and don't suffer from the water in pontoons issue that some experience and baby the boat like no bodies business...so life is good! The added torque and HP is SO WORTH IT...and it's actually quieter too! ;-)

Now I haven't looked into re-flashing the computer that I've read about because all I'd gain is added HP and not torque and I'm happy with HP performance as is. But I know it's been done, hope this helps.
        2014 Flight Package 16' Element
        Upgrades: 90HP Merc, NFB Helm, Smart Tabs, 4 Blade 15P Prop, MercMonitor Gauge, Bimini Top, Custom Steering Wheel, Stainless Cup Holders, Radio w/4 speaker and Subwoofer + Amp

Lacey, WA

Comment

You will not have a problem tubing from the arch....until you have a problem doing it!

Your boat and your choice, but the reason ALL tower makers say not to this is because it's not designed for the added stress. It's not the size of person in the tube that's the issue, it's when the nose of tube submarines you place instant incredible pressure on the arch.

2008 H210SS Four Winns
          Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
          Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
          Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

When you notice something like the attached pics, ya gotta problem. Both are posted tower/boat damage images as result of pulling tubes
            2008 H210SS Four Winns
            Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
            Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
            Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

No issues here. In 30 years of pulling tubes the only times a tube has ever "submarined" on us is when getting started. Captains have to be on the lookout for that and back off immediately. If not, I don't care what the tow point is, but something is going to break. I would just as soon is be the tower at the back of the boat, getting pulled backwards, 60 feet from the rider(s).

The E18/bayliner arch seems as solid as any of them. A skilled 200 pound slalom skier can put an awful lot of stress on a tow point, and we have subjected ours to that many times, as well as 2 person tubes. Have also towed 3 person tubes with kids, but usually on "granny" rides.....

BTW I believe the "no tubes" warning is only found on Elements for the US/North American market, not for other markets....so it is more likely a liability issue than an engineering issue.....(and mine also has a label that says "skiers and towables only"....LOL.)

Comment

Working...
              X