Element E21 Floor Doesn't Fully Drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Element E21 Floor Doesn't Fully Drain

Anyone else have a problem with their floor not completely draining through the 2 holes in the back of their E21 when not in use ? It seems like the flaps on each side of the boat at the end of the two drain tubes don't open easily enough to let the standing water flow out so there is always a puddle in the back of the floor when it's not in use. The floor does seem to drain when the boat is moving.

I had that problem with my e16 Element. The problem was that each tube, attached to the holes at the back of the floor, were turned upwards in the bilge area. So any water on the floor would only drain if it was higher than the up curl of the tubes.
    The solution; open that round cover that exposes the bilge area. Look in there for the rubber tube attached to each of the holes leading inside to the floor. If they are curled upward, any water entering will need to go up higher then the water on the floor which explains why water remains on the floor. Just bend them downwards as much as you can and secure them with a galvanized wire (so it won’t rust) to the pump. The tubes must be positioned lower then the holes on the floor if water is to completely empty into the bilge properly.
    Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
    2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
    12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Comment

Originally posted by oakplank View Post
      I had that problem with my e16 Element. The problem was that each tube, attached to the holes at the back of the floor, were turned upwards in the bilge area. So any water on the floor would only drain if it was higher than the up curl of the tubes.
      The solution; open that round cover that exposes the bilge area. Look in there for the rubber tube attached to each of the holes leading inside to the floor. If they are curled upward, any water entering will need to go up higher then the water on the floor which explains why water remains on the floor. Just bend them downwards as much as you can and secure them with a galvanized wire (so it won’t rust) to the pump. The tubes must be positioned lower then the holes on the floor if water is to completely empty into the bilge properly.
      Thanks... I'll look at that !

Comment

They are positioned that way for vacuum purposes. If there is more water a vacuum would start and you actually hear the drains suck the water down. If you take on a lot of water the drains are pretty fast. If its just of few cups they are slow and leave standing water. I considered it a safety issues to re-engineer the tube installation. I bet the vacuum is much faster at removing a volume of water and thus safer.
        "The Profit"
        Sunny Florida
        2019 Tahoe T16 75 hp 300 hours in first year of ownership!
        2018 E16 75 hp......Sold

Comment

Originally posted by EasyLivin View Post
          Anyone else have a problem with their floor not completely draining through the 2 holes in the back of their E21 when not in use ? It seems like the flaps on each side of the boat at the end of the two drain tubes don't open easily enough to let the standing water flow out so there is always a puddle in the back of the floor when it's not in use. The floor does seem to drain when the boat is moving.
          I believe that Bayliner e16 design for scupper drains is inadequate as best. When I wash the boat out in the driveway after a day on the saltwater it takes 15 minutes to a half hour to drain out. In addition, my boat was steered directly into a big boat wake and took on a foot a water over the bow, and no, I wasn't driving. It took a long time to drain all of the water out. The two scupper drains are 3\4" at the opening and 7/16" at the exit attached to 3/4" spiral plastic hose routed through the bilge to the bilge pump recess or depression. I decided to cut the scupper plastic fitting at the 3/4" end removing the 7/16" restriction and hose. Water now drains three times faster onto the bilge floor down to the bilge pump or bilge plug area. The cuts were made with a Dremel tool saw about 1" in from the cockpit floor.

Jim Halay
          Parrish, Florida

Comment

I bought a hand bilge pump to remove that standing gallon of water that won't drain. This is really my only complaint with the boat.

Comment

Working...
            X