Element XL towball weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TX H210 SS View Post
    Is using a weight distribution hitch a possible solution? That takes weight off the ball but transfers it through the entire vehicle.

I would go that route before adding weight to rear of boat as that makes it an unstable pull at any speed.
    I did research this but it's not the solution.
    I guess you are refering to a load distribution hitch. This will act to level the towing vehicle if the towball weight depresses the rear of the vehicle. It applies a torque through the tow hitch to level the vehicle. It does not lower the towball weight at all, actually it increases it slightly (by the weight of the load distribution hitch).
    Interesting physics when you research it.
    Peter Walter-Smith
    Riverport of Goolwa, South Australia
    2014 Bayliner Element XL
    115HP Mercury EFI

Comment

Originally posted by TX H210 SS View Post
      If dead set on that vehicle.....I would sell trailer and get a tandem fitted for the boat. That would solve issue, but may be cheaper to upgrade vehicle.

I got a Ram 4x4 with 10,000 lb tow capacity and still had to make alterations to get the tow ride how I wanted it.....loaded boat and trailer is 5000 tops...had to add airbags to stop the truck from squatting. Being you would be maxing or exceeding max hitch weight....that may be another issue to correct with your vehicle choice. My issue was the new model Rams have coil springs in rear instead of leaf springs. They claimed it was a new innovation!....I told salesman, yeah it's a new innovation...coils just like the 1968 Chevrolet truck we had
      Again, not the solution. You need a proportion of the trailer weight on the hitch for stability. How much? - depends who is giving advice. European sites suggest 5 to 10%. Australian suggest 10%, US 10 to 15%.
      I figure that if the car maker is happy to recommend 1800kg with a towball mass of 100kg then their engineers have calculated a figure closer to 6%.
      Anyway, it's probably academic. Until I weigh the towball mass and get a figure to work with, I can't make an educated decision.
      I'll post this when I get it.

Peter Walter-Smith
      Riverport of Goolwa, South Australia
      2014 Bayliner Element XL
      115HP Mercury EFI

Comment

• TX H210 SS
        TX H210 SS commented
        Editing a comment
        Understood....I think.....I cant wrap my head around the distribution hitch and how it works. I've sat at camp site and studied it by looking and cyphering and came up with I DONT KNOW. ..of course I drink beer while at camp site

Go BIG and get a diesel RAM 2500 4x4 and your set. That will solve it.
    Working...
    X