Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Element E16 - Trim Tabs or motor hydrofoil

Hi,

I've had my boat for about a month now and the only thing bothering me is the porpoising. I can move my wife to the front of the boat and that helps some but that is not a viable long term solution. I looking for someone who has an E16 who has installed either the trim tabs or hydrofoil.

I'm looking for the best solution for this particular boat model. I have a 75hp hanging on the back. The boat is a 2019.

Thanking everyone in advance,

Paul
    2019 - Element e16
    The GOC
    (Grandparents On Call)

I use a hydrofoil and it solved the porpoising problem on my 2017 e16 with the feeble 60hp Mercury.
    Rip in Nevada
    2017 Element e16 SOLD

Comment

• muttfactor
      muttfactor commented
      Editing a comment
      I have same Hydrofoil and added 4-blade prop on 2018 e16 with the feeble 60hp and it made a world of difference.

I have no experience with the hydrofoil. I did read a lot online when I had the same question and nothing I ever found said the hydrofoils offered an improvement. For a little more money, I went with the Nauticus smart tabs on my E16. No more porpoising, I can trim the engine higher now, and the chop and wake from other boats are no longer an issue. I was very dissatisfied with the quality of the ride until I added the tabs. It is truey a different boat with them installed.

Comment

• nclexman
      nclexman commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with everything Wilbajs said. I have a 75 horse and it gets up really fast even when loaded with people and no porpoising.

Hmmmmm.......2 - 2 as of now.

I appreciate the answers.
    2019 - Element e16
    The GOC
    (Grandparents On Call)

Comment

Originally posted by Wilbajs View Post
      I have no experience with the hydrofoil. I did read a lot online when I had the same question and nothing I ever found said the hydrofoils offered an improvement. For a little more money, I went with the Nauticus smart tabs on my E16. No more porpoising, I can trim the engine higher now, and the chop and wake from other boats are no longer an issue. I was very dissatisfied with the quality of the ride until I added the tabs. It is truey a different boat with them installed.
      Wilbajs,

Would it be possible get get a photo of where you installed your tabs? I ordered a set and just wanted to see where you put yours.

Thanks,

Paul
      2019 - Element e16
      The GOC
      (Grandparents On Call)

Comment

Originally posted by Florida Paul View Post

Wilbajs,

Would it be possible get get a photo of where you installed your tabs? I ordered a set and just wanted to see where you put yours.

Thanks,

Paul
        Here is a photo. This isnโ€™t my boat, this is a pics that Nauticus sent me to go on when I was trying to decide. I moved mine out enough to make room for drains this winter. I will get a pic of mine next weekend when I pull it out of the garage.

Comment

Here is a photo. This isnโ€™t my boat, this is a pics that Nauticus sent me to go on when I was trying to decide. I moved mine out enough to make room for drains this winter. I will get a pic of mine next weekend when I pull it out of the garage.
          LOL!! That is the same photo I received yesterday from Nauticus. I'd still like to see how far out you did yours as I have to put mine out a bit farther because of a sonar transducer.

Thanks,

Paul
          2019 - Element e16
          The GOC
          (Grandparents On Call)

Comment

LOL!! That is the same photo I received yesterday from Nauticus. I'd still like to see how far out you did yours as I have to put mine out a bit farther because of a sonar transducer.

Thanks,

Paul
            At least they are consistent. I will have my boat out this weekend and will take a pic. I had the factory transducer on the RH side. We used one of the screw holes for the tabs. I removed the transducer all together. Later I installed a GPS/Chartplotter. I mounted the transducer for it on the bilge section of the boat. I also added eyebolts where the rear bunk mounting bolts were to allow for a place for my straps that would miss the transducer and the tabs.

Comment

I had the sponson drains and Bennett SLT10 trim tabs installed prior to picking up the boat. The boat needs tabs, it just does, sucks less with tabs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P6031224.JPG
Views:	739
Size:	599.1 KB
ID:	533165
              "The Profit"
              Sunny Florida
              2019 Tahoe T16 75 hp 300 hours in first year of ownership!
              2018 E16 75 hp......Sold

Comment

Originally posted by The profit View Post

I had the sponson drains and Bennett SLT10 trim tabs installed prior to picking up the boat. The boat needs tabs, it just does, sucks less with tabs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P6031224.JPG
Views:	739
Size:	599.1 KB
ID:	533165
                Thanks! Looks like you are a Florida boater like me.
                2019 - Element e16
                The GOC
                (Grandparents On Call)

Comment

Thanks,

Paul
                  I was finally able to get a photo for you.

Comment

I was finally able to get a photo for you.
                    Thanks!!

Paul
                    2019 - Element e16
                    The GOC
                    (Grandparents On Call)

Comment

When I bought my "barely used" E 16 with the 60hp CT engine and stock 4-blade prop, the original owner had installed a hydrofoil. I went through quite a bit of experimentation trying to get better high-altitude performance out of an engine that is well, undersized, to say the least. Three or four prop-swaps later, I got the best results with a 13 X 13.5 3-blade stainless prop and I removed the hydrofoil (StingRay StarFire). I don't find porpoising to be that much of an issue. I'd say this boat likes to run with its bow down so, I typically run with the engine trimmed all the way down. Yes, that means chop, waves and wakes hit it a bit harder but, I don't think the E 16 is ever going to be "chop friendly" due to the hull design.

Comment

I purchased my E-16 element in 2016 with trim tabs installed at time of sale. Have 75 horse and factory prop.
                        We live in chop.....(Maine coast) and this boat can handle it pretty well, given the size of the boat, with the trim tabs and being able to trim motor up.
                        Is it chop friendly? I wouldn't go that far! We get wet fairly regularly......
                        Have never had an issue with porpoising.
                        My wife keeps reminding me how great this boat is for short trips up and down the coast with friends.

Comment

Here is what I went with.....

I put a StarFire hydrofoil on and was able to get on plane quicker but still could not run fast without getting beat up if there was a little roughness to the water. I chalked that up to the normal characteristics of the boat.

I was at my boat dealer getting some minor warranty re-do work and told them my issue. Their solution was to install deadrise wedges on the motor to tuck it under the boat a bit more and to install Bennet trim tabs. They did that without cost to me. I have a GREAT boat dealership in Central Florida.

I took the boat out the next day and it ran exceptionally well. I was able to maintain 33mph for an extended period of time in a light to moderate rough water (small white caps) without getting beat up. My wife was impressed that she did not need to hold on for dear life but just needed to hold onto her hat. Running slowly through a river was nice but hard to explain. The ride just seemed smoother, possibly because the bow was still pushed down a bit even at slow speeds.

Now I can't wait for a smooth as glass lake day to see what else the boat can do.

Thanks for everyone's input. I have a hydrofoil for sale.

Paul
                          Attached Files
                          2019 - Element e16
                          The GOC
                          (Grandparents On Call)

Comment

Working...
                          X