Winter storage question - yeah I know, but thinking ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter storage question - yeah I know, but thinking ahead

For those in snow country and especially those that store their boat outside, do you pull your cushions out for the winter? On our old pontoon boat it wasn't an option, but I did open all compartments before putting the cover on for the winter.

I bring all my removable cushions in the house for the winter...……….just in case some critter tries to use my slumbering boat as a winter condo.

I figure there is less to be damaged if removed.

It also prevents lots of hot/cold/dry/moist cycles on the threads and vinyl.
    Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
    Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

• CparkerE16
      CparkerE16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Makes sense. And I'd prefer to have all those compartments open to let air circulate a bit and not get mildew

Originally posted by vr5200 View Post
    I bring all my removable cushions in the house for the winter...……….just in case some critter tries to use my slumbering boat as a winter condo.

I figure there is less to be damaged if removed.

It also prevents lots of hot/cold/dry/moist cycles on the threads and vinyl.
    +1....I also add a “Damp Rid” container to each compartment/storage location. Then I throw dryer sheets everywhere...rumor has it that the critters don’t like the sheets...for about $1.50 a box I figured why not. I don’t know if they do in fact keep the critters out, but the boat sure smells nice when taking the cover off in spring!
    Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
    2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
    1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
    1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

Was just thinking this tonight as I was cleaning up the boat. It will be our first winter with it, I think I'm going to pull all the cushions and keep them in the basement. We get enough mice in our garage, I can only imagine how many will end up in the boat this winter!

Comment

Originally posted by heffbomb View Post
        Was just thinking this tonight as I was cleaning up the boat. It will be our first winter with it, I think I'm going to pull all the cushions and keep them in the basement. We get enough mice in our garage, I can only imagine how many will end up in the boat this winter!
        indoor garage storage:

I put a shot-glass containing oil of Wintergreen (available at your local drugstore) in each cup holder. I was told the rodents don’t like the smell, then I cover the boat so as to keep the odor contained. However, I do bring my cushions and battery in the house. If covering your boat, make sure it’s not air tight. Temperature will vary which will cause mold if air can’t circulate. Don’t forget to store your outboard motor completely down so that all water will run out. One more thing, remove the bilge plug(s) and store with the bow raised a bit, again this will allow any water in the hull to drain. To prevent those oval shaped tires in the spring, caused by long storage, I jack up my trailer/boat just enough to keep the tires off the floor.
        Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
        2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
        12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Comment

Working...
        X