Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a boat for the first time, looking at the Element E16 or E18, keeping it on a trailer at home, and boating mostly on bays and lagoon via boat ramps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a boat for the first time, looking at the Element E16 or E18, keeping it on a trailer at home, and boating mostly on bays and lagoon via boat ramps.

Such a novice that any ANY and ALL advice and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!!!!
    Spanish Fort, Alabama

Welcome!

Where (in the world) are you now?
    How far will you trailer it for local trips and long trips?
    What is your tow vehicle?
    Major activities? cruising, tubing, skiing, wakeboarding, etc?
    At home outside or in a garage......if garage....how big is it?
    Average and peak number of people on the boat while having fun?
    Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
    Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

Thanks for responding vr. Spanish Fort, Alabama. Trailering just depends, longest is to Gulf Shores, Al about 40 miles, shortest, about two miles to Mobile Bay. Tow vehicle is Toyota Tundra V8. Cruising, visiting local water access restaurants, sandbar and small island hopping and tubing. I've done measuring and it should fit in garage but wife likes to keep her car there so most likely keep it on the extra driveway pad we have outside. As for people, mostly me, wife and daughter with occasional family/friends not to exceed recommended 9 person capacity. Where I live, probably can use almost year round. Thanks again!!
      Spanish Fort, Alabama

Comment

I may be a little biased because of what I have owned, but a 16 foot boat is pretty small. I suggest the E18 with the 115 motor and a bimini top.
        As mentioned here before...……….no one ever complains about getting the larger engine. But once too small, you will kick yourself for not stepping up.
        You are lucky to enjoy boating year round. Just be sure to wash your salt water boat frequently and flush the motor after each outing.
        Good luck and enjoy!

Comment

Thanks. I'm going to look at an E18 this morning. It's a 2019, 115HP, Bimini, stereo, auto bilge, additional gas tank, bow speakers, snap on cover, aft cushion and of course trailer. Dealer's listed "on sale" price is $26,556 and the same boat on Bayliner.com build your own is an MSRP of $24,859. I'll probably be hooked when for sure when I see in person. Thanks!!
          "
          Spanish Fort, Alabama

Comment

Spanish Fort, Alabama

Comment

Purchased today!
              Spanish Fort, Alabama

Comment

• jbjccj24
                jbjccj24 commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks like what we are looking to purchase, can you provide an update on your thoughts ? Still happy?

Congratulations. Looks like you guys are ready to have some fun!

I got a lot of my stuff from Walmart and Amazon.
              The internet is your friend in regards to finding stuff for a good price.

Helpful Hint: when buying life jackets, get the kind that have the extra fabric that makes it like a vest. The ones that have "flaps" on just the front and the back are not a good for swimming and watersports.

These are a good design and affordable.....and happen to be on sale right now. We have 4 of them in our collection.:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass...ket-for-adults

Comment

Thanks! We are excited and honestly, a little nervous. Also, thanks for advice. I will gladly take it. I have a couple of friends who are experienced boaters who have gladly accepted my request for help. As you say, now we have to start buying all the needed accessories life vests, anchors (I want one for bow and stern), and other tie ropes as necessary.
                Spanish Fort, Alabama

Comment

Curious what was the reason for the price discrepancy between dealer and Bayliner site. Could you share what you ended on ?

Comment

Martin, if you look closely on Bayliner.com when you "build" your own, there is fine print that states, in part, this is the MSRP only, dealer may add its own fees such as dealer prep, freight fees/rigging. I think I got a pretty sweet deal because the dealer stated straightaway that she could get me out the door with boat (and trailer) for $25,000. When it was all done, I had a sales price of $24,716 (lower than the Bayliner.com figure) and a final price that included taxes and administrative fees for a total of $25,213.50. The dealer gave me an extended 2 year warranty on the motor for a total of 5 years. I bought it in Pensacola, FL. I did a lot of research and finally just did it!!!
                    Spanish Fort, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by GMA View Post
                      Thanks! We are excited and honestly, a little nervous. Also, thanks for advice. I will gladly take it. I have a couple of friends who are experienced boaters who have gladly accepted my request for help. As you say, now we have to start buying all the needed accessories life vests, anchors (I want one for bow and stern), and other tie ropes as necessary.
                      You need to get a spare tire on a galvanized rim and mount it with a galvanized bracket. You might want a bracket that has a built in "tilt" to it as opposed just one that mounts perpendicular. You need to also get some sort of jack and lugnut wrench in case you have a flat while on the road. That tire/rim/bracket collection will probably be 100 to 160 bucks depending on the size of your trailer tire. That is money well spent for the peace of mind it provides.

Comment

Well taken vr. Will do. You’re right, not a big investment for piece of mind. My local buddy also mentioned something about a company similar to AARP for boats that will rescue you, ie tow back to marina or dock and other services for a relatively nominal yearly fee. I’ll check name and services again and post.
                        In addition, I’ve researched posts here and I think I can keep in my garage although may be tight. Save a little money, and better access quicker, plus better overall protection for boat. My garage door is 18’ wide, 7’ high and 22’ deep. We’ll see!
                        Spanish Fort, Alabama

Comment

A small solar panel to tend the battery (s) during outings and between them (unless it came with a charger) is inexpensive piece of mind. Hand held two way radio is nice in a pinch too. Boats US and SeaTow are the boating world's AAA like equivalents.
                          Dave
                          Restoring/ upgrading: 1990 Ciera Sunbridge 2655 ST, "One Particular Harbour"
                          5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1 (my floating retirement villa if it doesn't kill me first)
                          Sold:
                          1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
                          Mariner 150
                          Towing with:
                          2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
                          Near High Rock Lake, N.C.

Comment

Thanks Huey! A buddy of mine was just telling me last night about SeaTow and it sounds worth it!!
                            Spanish Fort, Alabama

Comment

Working...
                            X