Wet Slip Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet Slip Advice

This year we have reserved a wet slip for the summer here in Minnesota for our Element e18. I have never had a wet slip before. Any advice or tips? Thanks

Keep your batteries charged with a proper marine charger and have an automatic bilge pump connected to the battery side of the battery switch. You want the pump to work even if the switch is in the off position. Good tie up lines and fenders and maybe some kind of cover to keep the rain water, and dirt, and bird dropping’s, out.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Auto Bilge Pump
      Deep Cycle Battery
      Battery Switch
      Full Cover with Snaps and Poles
      Bumpers
      Lines

Agreed, make sure you have an automatic bilge pump that is attached directly to the battery. I used the pump that was in the boat but added a float switch about $20.

Make sure you have good Deep Cycle battery if you don't have a access to power to run a battery charger. This is what I have used over the ast 18 years. https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...ategoryid=true. Never had any issues. I don't use a battery charger.

Have a battery switch installed that will kill power to everything but the bilge pump.

A full cover with snap and support poles. This is a must especially with the Element.

Advise - Be sure to visit it regularly and more often if its rainy. Water levels will rise a lot with even a little rain. You need to make sure you cover is not pooling and that the dock lines do not get to tight or cause damage to boat or dock. Also ensure you bilge pump is working on those visits.

Will you have access to Water or power at your slip?
      2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
      Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
      Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
      Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
      1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. There is no power or water at the dock unfortunately. I do have an auto bilge and it it wired directly to the battery. Also have a nice snap cover with poles. Has anyone used a solar maintainer to keep the battery full.

Any advice for keeping the hull clean? When it is warm it is pretty easy to get int he water and wipe it down.

Thanks

Comment

With a good Deep Cycle battery, and switch there is no need for a Battery charger. I have never needed a battery charger in the 18 years of keeping my boat at the slip. But I have seen some folks use a Solar panel to keep there batteries charged. But these were bigger cuddy boats.

I never worry about the bottom and just wash it down at the end of the season with "Slimy Grimy" and a power washer. As for Top side with out water we are limited. I keep a spray bottle with a mix of Boat wash and water. I spray it down and wipe it down. This year I'm thinking of purchasesing a 12v power washer. Something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv90LWxRioc

Evinrude 88 Special

1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

Thanks. I am really looking forward to skipping the boat launch.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterdowg View Post
              With a good Deep Cycle battery, and switch there is no need for a Battery charger. I have never needed a battery charger in the 18 years of keeping my boat at the slip. But I have seen some folks use a Solar panel to keep there batteries charged. But these were bigger cuddy boats.

I never worry about the bottom and just wash it down at the end of the season with "Slimy Grimy" and a power washer. As for Top side with out water we are limited. I keep a spray bottle with a mix of Boat wash and water. I spray it down and wipe it down. This year I'm thinking of purchasesing a 12v power washer. Something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv90LWxRioc
              Even with a deep cycle battery, you need to use the boat every so often to keep the charge up. So yes, a deep charge battery is a must. However, you just can’t keep the boat moored for ever and expect the battery to fully keep it’s charge.

Comment

Originally posted by surferblue View Post
                Thanks. I am really looking forward to skipping the boat launch.
                It's a 16' deckboat... it's not like it's a big ordeal to trailer and launch.. but I can see it being nice to walk out and hit the key.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayman View Post

Even with a deep cycle battery, you need to use the boat every so often to keep the charge up. So yes, a deep charge battery is a must. However, you just can’t keep the boat moored for ever and expect the battery to fully keep it’s charge.
                  There have been times were my boat has sat over a month. Weather its sitting in my driveway or in at the marina. Battery switch in the off position and only running the automatic bilge pump. Never had an issue with the Deep Cycle Battey list above. I have had the battery last 10 years. Replaced it just before the 11th season. So they do last with out use, although I do not recommend it. But it good to know in case.

Evinrude 88 Special

1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

Interesting discussion. A few points for my two cents. The "deep cycle" v. "starting battery" discussion is as old as lead-acid technology. With our little 60 hp-115 hp outboards it will not likely be an issue for a group 24 or similar sized battery. But, a true deep cycle battery is usually not an ideal starting battery since they are not designed to deliver bursts of high current; they are designed for steady and lower current delivery over a longer period of time at a given voltage. They are also configured to survive more full "rundowns" than starting batteries. But there is a possibility that even though your voltage may stay high, that the battery won't deliver starting current when you need it. There are "dual purpose" batteries for single battery configurations like the Elements which are good compromises (West Marine usually sells them).

Also, regarding bottom prep; in some fresh water environments there might not be the same growth issues as in others. When I wetslipped in fresh water, we had a lot of growth that required cleaning every couple of week or there were significant performance impacts and it was ugly. Another problem was Osmotic blistering; many hulls that are stored long term in fresh water, that do not have a barrier coat, encounter osmotic blistering. Most hull warranties do not cover osmotic blistering. Keep that in mind.

No need to take my word for any of the above. Google tells all.......

Comment

Originally posted by 6104696 View Post
                      Interesting discussion. A few points for my two cents. The "deep cycle" v. "starting battery" discussion is as old as lead-acid technology. With our little 60 hp-115 hp outboards it will not likely be an issue for a group 24 or similar sized battery. But, a true deep cycle battery is usually not an ideal starting battery since they are not designed to deliver bursts of high current; they are designed for steady and lower current delivery over a longer period of time at a given voltage. They are also configured to survive more full "rundowns" than starting batteries. But there is a possibility that even though your voltage may stay high, that the battery won't deliver starting current when you need it. There are "dual purpose" batteries for single battery configurations like the Elements which are good compromises (West Marine usually sells them).

Also, regarding bottom prep; in some fresh water environments there might not be the same growth issues as in others. When I wetslipped in fresh water, we had a lot of growth that required cleaning every couple of week or there were significant performance impacts and it was ugly. Another problem was Osmotic blistering; many hulls that are stored long term in fresh water, that do not have a barrier coat, encounter osmotic blistering. Most hull warranties do not cover osmotic blistering. Keep that in mind.

No need to take my word for any of the above. Google tells all.......
                      You Bring up some good points The battery I listed above is a dual use battery, good for starting and delivering current for longer periods of time. Yes the Group 24 battery will work great as well. As for the growth and blistering on the bottom. Best thing to do is visit some marinas speak to other boaters that slip there boats. Use local information on whats best for the bottom.

Evinrude 88 Special

1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

Working...
                      X