Cracked transom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked transom

I have cracks around my Upper motor mounting bolts. 2019 F18 with 90hp. Motor has 20 hours. I never go out in rough weather and have taken it very easy. Total trailering is less than 200 miles on mostly smooth roads and Always have used the M-Y Wedge. The mounting bolts don't seem to be very tight. I'm going to bring it back to the dealer but am concerned they will say it's somehow my fault.

Thanks for sharing. Hundreds of people are in the backyard with a flashlight looking at their bolts. Probably just gel cote. I don't see how you will get much push back from dealer. The dealer knows about Bayliner production.

Bayliner sent me this email regarding the Wegie..

Dear,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your 75 hp Mercury motor, serial # . We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

The transom saver that you use will depend on the trailer you have. If the trailer has a roller at the very rear, you will use one that has the "U" shaped end. If not, use one that fastens directly to the trailer frame. Please see the following link for suggestions -

http://www.basspro.com/Boating-Trail...rs/_/N-1z11d46

Swivel-eze, made by Attwood -

To lock your motor, you may want to look at the M-YWEDGE -

http://www.m-ywedge.com/

M-YWEDGE does not transfer any weight to the trailer and adds no stability to the transom. The motor will continue to flex the transom when trailered. The unit does take the pressure off of the trim system and is easy to use -

We hope this information is helpful to you. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our Customer Service department at 920-929-5040 between the hours of 7:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, CST.

Sincerely,

Mercury Outboard Customer Assistance

**This email address is not monitored for replies.**
    Please do not reply to this email. Should you need further email contact, please go through our website (www.mercurymarine.com) under the 'contact us' heading. https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...mer-assistance

"The Profit"
    Sunny Florida
    2018 E16 75 hp: Corrected Center of Gravity, Very Dry Sponsons with Drains, SC1000 Gauge, Bennett SLT10 trim tabs, Racor Fuel/Water Separator.

Comment

It sure looks like an over tightening issue... the gelcoat is cracked but its not a structural problem.

Whoever tightend the motor bolts probably kept wrenching intil they heard a crack, then they backed the nuts off half a turn to ease the pressure...

Beause ita a new boat i would have them remove the bolts and install a better backing plate... as for the cracks, trying to fix them will make.it worse where as a large backing plate (with sealer) will cover them and solve any further issues..

NU LIBERTE'
      Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
      5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
      N2K equipped throughout..
      2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
      2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
      '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
      Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
        Nauti_Mike commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with Centerline. Also think a larger diameter washer should have been used to spread the load.

I agree also....thats from cranking down on the bolts too much. If it were me I would want a nice solid stainless plate. A one piece plate that goes beyond both bolts.

But make sure those gelcoat cracks are sealed up first. I would see what they say but have in mind what you want as resolution....thats not from anything you did...rough water or not.
      2008 H210SS Four Winns
      Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
      Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
      Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

Definitely overtightened and not backed properly. I'd be up Bayliner's ass with one foot and the dealer's with the other.
        Jeff & Tara
        (And Ginger too)
        Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
        "GetAway"
        Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Maybe you could squeeze a jack plate out of them as retribution. I'm not sure if there's any tunnel at stern to make a jack a useful tool.... but if so that would be cool.

or tandem plate plus power pole for good will.....you May mention to them that even with a transom plate you have "diminished value" claim to file on their shop insurance if the dealer made the install. It's worth the argument
          2008 H210SS Four Winns
          Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
          Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
          Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

" or tandem plate plus power pole for good will.....you May mention to them that even with a transom plate you have "diminished value" claim to file on their shop insurance if the dealer made the install. It's worth the argument "

Diminished value claim? I'm not familiar with that. Can you explain? Thanks.
            I took it to the dealer last week and they are filing a warranty claim with Bayliner but haven't heard back yet.

Comment

Originally posted by OBXJay View Post

Diminished value claim? I'm not familiar with that. Can you explain? Thanks.
              "Diminished value" claims are usually used in the automobile insurance context. When a car is damaged through someone's negligence or fault, the offending party's insurance company will usually pay the repair costs. However, the accident/incident is always on the vehicle's history (CARFAX, for example). So even though the car might be repaired good as new, it's resale value is diminished. Sometimes insurance companies will pay owners some $$ for this diminished value.

It's not necessarily easy to get, but it is not unheard of in the automobile insurance world. I have no idea if or how it might be applied in your context, though. I can assure you that the discussion would start with the dealer laughing at you or looking at you like you are nuts, but that doesn't mean anything.

Comment

Working...
              X