2019 Element E16 Purchase?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flhuisman View Post
    Have owned an e16 for a year now with 60hp engine. My thoughts on the 60 ( never been on a 75) are the engine is fine with modifications. 4 blade spitfire 13 pitch prop is needed and if doing any towing I would get the 11P also. Simply change the props for the activity, the 13P is great for cruising ( normally have 4 people in the boat with a dog that is big enough to call another person). Things also needed are smart tabs, as the boat doesn't walk around as much with them deployed and probably helps getting on plane. Keep in mind this is a small boat so cruising is around 20-22 mph running the boat at about 4-4.5K rpms.
    Put Mercury VesselView on the engine and use your phone for the gauges, it also keeps track of your maintenance for you, bonus is you have a fuel guage with it.
    Issues I have had and preventative things you should consider.
    1. Corrosion spray for everything ( I use my boat in salt water) and you can't spray too many things to keep up with corrosion.
    2. Pick up a portable jump starter, keep it in your tow vehicle and take it with you in the boat, nothing worse than a dead battery in tow vehicle or the boat. Get stranded once and you will appreciate it more and more.
    3. Put a primer bulb in the gas line, sounds crazy but trust me here. I have lost my low pressure fuel pump 2 times in 120 hours of use. There is a 1 cent piece of nylon that is apparently the weakest point on the entire engine that will strand you. If you have a primer bulb in place you can pump your fuel into the high pressure fuel pump at least to get you home. It stinks but it's better than finding another way home and it's cheap insurance. Even if you don't install it, put it in the boat with clamps and a small section of gas line to install when needed.
    4. When the engine fails the first thing you need to do is drop the anchor, don't get caught up in what is wrong, get caught up in not making things worse by floating into areas you don't want to be in while trying to figure this one out.
    5. I just replaced the mechanical steering with hydraulic steering. To make things easier to steer, maybe but living in salt water, the mechanical steering means maintenance. You can't remove the steering cable without pulling the engine to clean and lube the tilt tube. With hydraulic steering simply because the way it's installed you can do this maintenance without pulling the engine. Yes you increased lock to lock from 3.5 turns to give or take 5 turns but we don't get everything.
    6. Install boat guides on that trailer, I am always in a current and trust me centering the boat in a current isn't the easiest thing in the world, no worries with boat guides, just do it.

Yes these things add up, probably a lot more if you have a dealer install them but they will make you enjoy the boat a lot more. If I were to rank things, the jump starter and primer bulb are vital along with an anchor. Great news, those are the cheapest investments you can make. I hated the 3 blade prop so I would absolutely do the 4 blade prop, and trim tabs if you install them ( probably $300.00 for both as DIY). Then vessel view because of the gas guage, the other things are nice but the gas guage is probably the best thing. If you load and unload in a current get the trailer guides for the boat, reduces stress which is a good thing. Lastly would be the steering, only because you can go a while before you run into that maintenance, if you have a cherry picker, pulling the motor isn't a big deal and then I would just keep mechanical steering.
    I won't comment on too much here but I would just point out that while I like the Vesselview Mobile, it is NOT a "gas gauge." It is a fuel use estimator, and it estimates fuel used since your last reset basically by counting injector pulses. It does not "measure" or "read" anything regarding how much fuel is actually in your tank. IF you set it up correctly, and IF you reset it every time you fill your tank, then it will subtract the estimated fuel used since reset from however many gallons you told it that you started with at reset, and give you an estimate of what you have left. It has no idea how much fuel you actually have left, and if you forget to reset it when you fill up, it is useless.

I like it and find it relatively accurate regarding fuel used when reset properly.

Unless you install a real gas gauge and sender unit, the only way to know how much fuel you really have left is to raise the cushion and look at the gauge on top of the tank, and/or open the cap and take a look.

Comment

You mentioned the 20’ depth of your garage. As important is the width and height of the garage door opening. It doesn’t matter how big your garage is if you can’t get the E16 through the door opening.
      Just saying.
      P.S.
      Remember to measure from the trailer’s outer fender to outer fender, not the boat width.

Comment

Working...
      X