2019 Element E16 Purchase?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 Element E16 Purchase?

Hey everyone, looking to purchase a boat that will fit my garage (HOA Rules). The garage can fit 20ft in length total, with trailer, engine, etc. being that, I’m interested in the 2019 Bayliner Element E16.

I went down to a local dealer (S. Florida) and found a 2019 Element E16 with trailer, 75hp, 4 prop, Bimini top, Cockpit cover, Stereo AM/FM-MP3, Digital Depth Indicator, Automatic Bilge Pump and Galvanized trailer for $21,846 and just over $23k out the door to include taxes, registration, etc. Doing a 15yr loan would give us a payment around $170/month. Is this about standard? Thoughts on the Element E16? I’d probably add Smart Tabs and then smaller things down the road.

Our use would be for a family of 3 to cruise and enjoy the waterways.

Thanks for the input!

Welcome to the forum! Have the dealer install sponson drains at no cost. Also have them install Benett SLT 10 trim tabs. If you do them yourself you may be voiding your warranty. If your a DIY kind of person and have the time, you can save a a lot of money and get better equipment and prices on accessories by doing them yourself. Also the white hull will require the least amount of maintenance and not fade as much.

My wife and I have about a 100 hours on our E16 we bought in February. Love it! Best value in boating.
    "The Profit"
    Sunny Florida
    2018 E16 75 hp: Corrected Center of Gravity, Very Dry Sponsons with Drains, SC1000 Gauge, Bennett SLT10 trim tabs, Racor Fuel/Water Separator.

Comment

Originally posted by The profit View Post
      Welcome to the forum! Have the dealer install sponson drains at no cost. Also have them install Benett SLT 10 trim tabs. If you do them yourself you may be voiding your warranty. If your a DIY kind of person and have the time, you can save a a lot of money and get better equipment and prices on accessories by doing them yourself. Also the white hull will require the least amount of maintenance and not fade as much.

My wife and I have about a 100 hours on our E16 we bought in February. Love it! Best value in boating.
      Very good advice here. Wondering what waterways you will be cruising? We love our E18 but the M-hull is not a great hull for rough water, though no 16 footer will be much better than an E16. South florida has some pretty hairy waterways....

We sometimes find ourselves in rough water with ours; it is manageable but we are NOT doing Smarttabs; they constantly push the bow down, which can help with porpoising and acceleration in calm water, but which can help stuff the bow in rough water. There is a kit available with which you can manually tuck them in an "up" position, but so far I have not felt them necessary. But we have an E18 with the 115 motor, which is a slightly different animal than the E16.

Comment

Thank you both for the responses. Great to know on the all white. I’m 50/50 as a DIY guy. If I will save a lot more money I can look to remove options and buy them aftermarket. What’s the avg price for the SLT trim tabs? The waters we’ll be cruising are intercoastals mainly in Palm Beach County. Of course looking for glassy flat water days.

Comment

The Profit, your boat looks great. What’s aftermarket on it?

Comment

The E16 75 Hp with 2 people seated at helm seats, tabs create a bigger more stable footprint. Even with the tabs deployed in the most aggressive hole, I can lower the tack to about 2800, trim up to 1.2 and plow through 2-3 footers like a bulldozer. I drive standing up with the smartcraft gauge on the TRIM and RPM screen, I run the rough Florida ICW and even the Gulf on good days. My wife hates boat pounding and splashing. I drive as smooth and as dry as possible. The E16 is the most comfortable 16 footer ever.
            "The Profit"
            Sunny Florida
            2018 E16 75 hp: Corrected Center of Gravity, Very Dry Sponsons with Drains, SC1000 Gauge, Bennett SLT10 trim tabs, Racor Fuel/Water Separator.

Comment

Trim Tabs can be had from anywhere for $100 - $150. Also look into getting Mercury Vesselview Mobile. Its $275 and is Plug and and play. It works with an on your phone and will give all the info you will need for your motor, Tach, temp, speed, alarm info and much more. Check it out.
              2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
              Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
              Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
              Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
              1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

Originally posted by Rwhjr3 View Post
                The Profit, your boat looks great. What’s aftermarket on it?
                Thanks. Aftermarket products include: Sponson plugs, Bennett SLT 10 Smart tabs, 8 foot Sunbrella bimini top, cooler (bought at Walmart), and Smartcraft Sc1000 gauge. Still no stereo, privacy curtain, or potty.
                "The Profit"
                Sunny Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Rwhjr3 View Post
                  Thank you both for the responses. Great to know on the all white. I’m 50/50 as a DIY guy. If I will save a lot more money I can look to remove options and buy them aftermarket. What’s the avg price for the SLT trim tabs? The waters we’ll be cruising are intercoastals mainly in Palm Beach County. Of course looking for glassy flat water days.
                  My dealer charged me $200 for the Bennett SLT 10 parts and labor.
                  "The Profit"
                  Sunny Florida

Comment

Originally posted by The profit View Post

Thanks. Aftermarket products include: Sponson plugs, Bennett SLT 10 Smart tabs, 8 foot Sunbrella bimini top, cooler (bought at Walmart), and Smartcraft Sc1000 gauge. Still no stereo, privacy curtain, or potty.
                    More good advice re: the cooler. you can buy it from bayliner for $100, or the exact same one at Walmart for something like $34.

Comment

Yes I noticed the cooler was overpriced. I’d like to add less to the loan if possible and purchase the accessories in cash. For some items of the monthly payment is an extra couple of dollars, that’s not a problem. I appreciate all of the feedback.

Comment

Hi All,

I am also located in palm beach county and looking to purchase the e16. Saw this thread and decided to join the forum in the hopes of making an informed decision as I am also limited by my HOA and have a 19' 6" garage.

Will be a first time boat owner (have driven boats before on and off) and looking to take the family out on weekends on the intercoastal and the keys.

hoping y'all can help me with some Newby questions (mostly financial)

what should I expect to spend on regular maintenance for the first 5 years?

Approximate cost of insurance per year in south florida?

Has anyone on here taken the boat out to the keys and thoughts on how it rides?

if I was to get it built from the factory what are the must have items from factory vs what should I look to purchase aftermarket?

Should I wait for the miami boatshow in Feb 2019 to make my purchase?

thanks for all your help in advance.

excited for this one.

Comment

Make sure you guys get a galvanized or aluminum trailer. Florida eats plain steel trailers fast!
                          Esteban
                          Vancouver, BC
                          Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

We love the "sports arch" on our E18. Obviously it provides a nice tow point but less obviously it makes an awesome hand hold for climbing into the boat from the swim platforms and also boarding the boat at the dock. Looks kind of cool too and some guys have added speakers and other accessories to it. It's a pricey option but there's nothing really like it in the aftermarket for an element and I think it's the sort of thing that will retain value at resale time.

as for maintenance, the 75-115 mercury 4S is stupid easy to DIY and consumables are cheap. Sips fuel too. I'd like to add the vessel view dongle so I could keep tabs on my fuel burn but other than that I think you'll be pleased for your intended use.

Comment

Have owned an e16 for a year now with 60hp engine. My thoughts on the 60 ( never been on a 75) are the engine is fine with modifications. 4 blade spitfire 13 pitch prop is needed and if doing any towing I would get the 11P also. Simply change the props for the activity, the 13P is great for cruising ( normally have 4 people in the boat with a dog that is big enough to call another person). Things also needed are smart tabs, as the boat doesn't walk around as much with them deployed and probably helps getting on plane. Keep in mind this is a small boat so cruising is around 20-22 mph running the boat at about 4-4.5K rpms.
                              Put Mercury VesselView on the engine and use your phone for the gauges, it also keeps track of your maintenance for you, bonus is you have a fuel guage with it.
                              Issues I have had and preventative things you should consider.
                              1. Corrosion spray for everything ( I use my boat in salt water) and you can't spray too many things to keep up with corrosion.
                              2. Pick up a portable jump starter, keep it in your tow vehicle and take it with you in the boat, nothing worse than a dead battery in tow vehicle or the boat. Get stranded once and you will appreciate it more and more.
                              3. Put a primer bulb in the gas line, sounds crazy but trust me here. I have lost my low pressure fuel pump 2 times in 120 hours of use. There is a 1 cent piece of nylon that is apparently the weakest point on the entire engine that will strand you. If you have a primer bulb in place you can pump your fuel into the high pressure fuel pump at least to get you home. It stinks but it's better than finding another way home and it's cheap insurance. Even if you don't install it, put it in the boat with clamps and a small section of gas line to install when needed.
                              4. When the engine fails the first thing you need to do is drop the anchor, don't get caught up in what is wrong, get caught up in not making things worse by floating into areas you don't want to be in while trying to figure this one out.
                              5. I just replaced the mechanical steering with hydraulic steering. To make things easier to steer, maybe but living in salt water, the mechanical steering means maintenance. You can't remove the steering cable without pulling the engine to clean and lube the tilt tube. With hydraulic steering simply because the way it's installed you can do this maintenance without pulling the engine. Yes you increased lock to lock from 3.5 turns to give or take 5 turns but we don't get everything.
                              6. Install boat guides on that trailer, I am always in a current and trust me centering the boat in a current isn't the easiest thing in the world, no worries with boat guides, just do it.

Yes these things add up, probably a lot more if you have a dealer install them but they will make you enjoy the boat a lot more. If I were to rank things, the jump starter and primer bulb are vital along with an anchor. Great news, those are the cheapest investments you can make. I hated the 3 blade prop so I would absolutely do the 4 blade prop, and trim tabs if you install them ( probably $300.00 for both as DIY). Then vessel view because of the gas guage, the other things are nice but the gas guage is probably the best thing. If you load and unload in a current get the trailer guides for the boat, reduces stress which is a good thing. Lastly would be the steering, only because you can go a while before you run into that maintenance, if you have a cherry picker, pulling the motor isn't a big deal and then I would just keep mechanical steering.

Comment

Working...
                              X