Your favorite vinyl cleaner and protectants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your favorite vinyl cleaner and protectants

Mornin' folks! This may belong in the general boating discussion, but I wanted to get the opinions of my element bredren first. I have been using the 303 stuff, but that's only because I've used it before. Anybody have a favorite alternative?

Thanks in advance!

303 user also

Comment

meguiar's vinyl and rubber cleaner and protectant
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

I use the 303, although I have used others, I found the 303 protects really well. The thing I'm noticing is the cushions hold water inside and it seems the wood gets waterlogged. The large cushions weigh like 60 lbs when waterlogged. Is anyone else having this issue? Has anyone tried any waterproofing spray or anything. Do you think it would work. How long will it be before the wood in these cushions is totally rotten? I wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse K View Post
          I use the 303, although I have used others, I found the 303 protects really well. The thing I'm noticing is the cushions hold water inside and it seems the wood gets waterlogged. The large cushions weigh like 60 lbs when waterlogged. Is anyone else having this issue? Has anyone tried any waterproofing spray or anything. Do you think it would work. How long will it be before the wood in these cushions is totally rotten? I wonder.
          I keep my cushions in a closet inside my house. I didn't even realize they were wood on the bottom, and honestly figured they were some sort of plastic composite, like the rear cushion that goes over the ice chest.

Learn something new every day

2016 75hp Element 160 w/ Smart Tabs & Sponson Drains

Comment

Yes they are wood. And not even a marine grade plywood, I dont think. One smart person would think they would be made like the ice chestcushion, but they are not. My clips that hold them to the fiberglass have already ripped out and have had to be moved once. Mine get waterlogged just from my kids getting in and out of the boat. I try to keep them standing up in the garage and I watch them drain for 2 days. I'm thinking maybe a silicone spray would help, but to spray it on the vinyl is a lil worrisome. I thinkit may be too slick. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse K View Post
              Mine get waterlogged just from my kids getting in and out of the boat. I try to keep them standing up in the garage and I watch them drain for 2 days. I'm thinking maybe a silicone spray would help, but to spray it on the vinyl is a lil worrisome. I thinkit may be too slick. Any thoughts?
              What you're describing does not even sound like closed-cell foam Not to be a Negative-Nancy here, but spraying the marine grade vinyl with a silicone spray sounds like a bad idea. That stuff will probably start peeling off and look like heck in less than two years.

What year is your Element???

(Never mind, I just found your cushion thread, and have subscribed)
              2016 75hp Element 160 w/ Smart Tabs & Sponson Drains

Comment

303 is great. Simple green is also a great cleaner, but.of course not a protectant.

For really tough stains....Magic Eraser.

Comment

Originally posted by 6104696 View Post
                  303 is great. Simple green is also a great cleaner, but.of course not a protectant.

For really tough stains....Magic Eraser.
                  simple green is good and even though its not a "green" product, its not harmful to the environment, but only green colored... the only DANGER in using it is that it can craze/degrade any acrylics and strataglass that it comes in contact with. and it will permanently etch bare aluminum if its allowed to dry on it.
                  windex is another bad cleaner for "vinyl" type windows....
                  keep it OFF the plexiglass hatches, portlights and any other see thru plastics...

NU LIBERTE'
                  Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                  5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                  N2K equipped throughout..
                  2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                  2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                  '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                  Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Working...
                  X