Boat Lift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Lift

I have a boat lift currently setup for a pontoon. For a 2016 BAYLINER ELEMENT XL, Hull: 7445 HIN: BLBX4616D616, would you use two rails or four? I am thinking just two. I've talked with local rep but they didn't know and no one ever asked. No info on the Bayliner site and haven't found anything on the net yet. How far apart should the rails be set.

If you have the trailer to go along with the XL, just match up the width of the rails on the trailer to the rails on your lift. Two should be fine. Good luck!
    2014 Flight Package 16' Element
    Upgrades: 90HP Merc, NFB Helm, Smart Tabs, 4 Blade 15P Prop, MercMonitor Gauge, Bimini Top, Custom Steering Wheel, Stainless Cup Holders, Radio w/4 speaker and Subwoofer + Amp

Lacey, WA

Comment

If you still have your toon, you can put the boat rails inside the toon rails and still use it for both. My neighbor has his set up that way. Rails on lifts seem to be closer together than trailers. All that matters is it doesn’t sit on thruhulls which you probably don’t have on a small boat.
      Esteban
      B-ham!
      Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

That's what people do at Lake George.
        Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

I use my lift for both my 185 as well as my 24’ Harris pontoon. However, i do not have pontoon rails on the lift...the toons simply sit on the hoists cross bars..the bunks for the 185 remain on the hoist and in place year round as they do not come high enough to hit the bottom of the pontoon...the trailer measurement is probably best, but if the hoist is in shallow water, it is very easy with the help of one other person to align the element over the hoist bunks while they are loose and the night ends them up while standing in the water..
          Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
          2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
          1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
          1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
          1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
          1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
          1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
          1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

When we switched from the 175 to the element XL, we adjusted the lift bunks to essentially match the location of the trailer bunks. The challenge was that we had to raise the bunks about 7 inches or so above the cross bars so that the sponsons wouldn't hit the cross bars, and we had to do so with no exposed metal or bolts so that there was no chance of damaging the hull while lining up and raising/lowering the lift. We ended up using very tall pieces of wood for the bunks. I have no idea if it would work with a toon. Sorry, no photo available.

Comment

• Tiesea
              Tiesea commented
              Editing a comment
              Lift is currently setup for a pontoon but I don't have one. I am getting a Bayliner Element XL 18' instead of a pontoon. Lift currently has 4 rails (bunks ?) ,2 x 10 's, bolted to the cross beams. So they are about 9 1/2" above the beams. Did you set the bottom rails( 2 x 10") 7" the beams or just set the top of the rails 7" above the beams?

The 2 x 10's are bolted to angles which are bolted to the beams. I assume this is common support detail. The angles hitting the hull are my concern.

Originally posted by 6104696 View Post
            When we switched from the 175 to the element XL, we adjusted the lift bunks to essentially match the location of the trailer bunks. The challenge was that we had to raise the bunks about 7 inches or so above the cross bars so that the sponsons wouldn't hit the cross bars, and we had to do so with no exposed metal or bolts so that there was no chance of damaging the hull while lining up and raising/lowering the lift. We ended up using very tall pieces of wood for the bunks. I have no idea if it would work with a toon. Sorry, no photo available.
            i found online, longer bunk support posts that raise the bunks approximately 12” higher than the original bunk supports. I don’t know if you can the added length of the bunk supports in the pic or not...

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
            2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
            1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
            1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

Originally posted by 6104696 View Post
              Sorry, no photo available.
              In reply to Tiesea's comment:"Lift is currently setup for a pontoon but I don't have one. I am getting a Bayliner Element XL 18' instead of a pontoon. Lift currently has 4 rails (bunks ?) ,2 x 10 's, bolted to the cross beams. So they are about 9 1/2" above the beams. Did you set the bottom rails( 2 x 10") 7" the beams or just set the top of the rails 7" above the beams?

The 2 x 10's are bolted to angles which are bolted to the beams. I assume this is common support detail. The angles hitting the hull are my concern."

Found a couple of photos of our boatlift setup; not great photos, since the boatlifts were not the main subjects of the photos. You can generally see how the lift (in the close up and the one on the right in the more general photo) is set up for the E18. The wood bunks are raised high enough to keep the sponsons away from the crossbars as well as the longitudinal I beams that support the bunks. The boats are not on the lifts for obvious reasons.....

Comment

your photos aren't coming through but, based on your description, the 2x10's might be tall enough to keep the spnsons off the crossbars but the bolts and possibly the mounting brackets will/could damage the inner surface (the vertical surface) of the sponsons unless you cover them up somehow, or add material to the upper surface of the 2x10's to keep the sponsons above the hardware.

Comment

• Tiesea
                Tiesea commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. I haven't measured yet but the leg of the vertical attached to the 2x10 looks to be about 2". I will need to add to the 2x10 to protect the sponsons.
            Working...
            X