Bad prep or Idiot owner?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad prep or Idiot owner?

Just picked up my Black hull E16 yesterday. It came covered, with the snap on cover and black bimini. Took it to the landing for a quick run about 15min run in, and back to the trailer. It was COLD. Did not put the snap on cover back on as I garage my vessel year round. While cleaning the sticky residue off the transom logo in front of the outboard i realized i was looking into the gas tank compartment! The seat was GONE. The transom seat that sits over the cooler, GONE! Both seats had flown out of the vessel during tow. Now these seats snap down and also have the turn tabs to lock them together. I can only assume the dealer did not secure the seats. I've seen hundreds of boats being towed without covers and i'm guessing they're not losing seats. SO the question is. Am I an idiot for towing without a cover, or did the dealer fail to properly secure the seats?

For those wondering, no sports arch, but came with stereo and 75hp merc. , and obviously the snap on cover and bimini

I'm not familiar with that specific boat but I've towed plenty of uncovered boats and still waiting to lose my first seat.
    R.J.(Bob) Evans
    Buchanan, SK
    Cierra 2755
    Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
    Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

I'd call it bad prep and trusting owner - when we bought our Bayliner the dealer walked through everything with us (after they'd done all the prep). Everything was in place, the walk through both showed us how things work and things to watch for - and gave the crew one more time to make sure everything was right.
      2010 Bayliner 192 4.3TKS

Comment

That's a bummer, yes things that aren't secured can potentially go airborne during a tow especially at highway speeds. Did you back track in an effort to find them?
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Read up on this thread. Says there's a service bulletin for the seat cushion on that model flying off. Bayliner will fix it for you, and may give you a free replacement cushion.

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...on-gctid804631
          1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

I think you should have put the cover back in place. There is a pizza chain in California, Shakey's, that has a sign on the wall saying, "If you value your hat and coat, wear 'em." First time I saw that was 50 years ago, never forgot it.
            Jeff & Tara
            (And Ginger too)
            Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
            "Sea Ya"
            Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
              That's a bummer, yes things that aren't secured can potentially go airborne during a tow especially at highway speeds. Did you back track in an effort to find them?
              Yep, found both. The transom seat and cushion are OK. The gas tank lid seat was hosed. Run over and ripped the upholstery.

Comment

As maddening as it is to lose seats that way, the consolation is that it didn't cause an accident that you would be liable for due to not securing your load. Could have been far worse. All in all, a cheap lesson that'll only cost you a little to replace one seat (unless the dealer springs for it).
                Lake Memphremagog, Newport, VT
                2015 Bayliner 175 BR
                Mercruiser 135/3.0 MPI Alpha One

Comment

Answer = Idiot Owner.

Last year I had a new cover made for my Zodiac tender, which sits on top of my 4788. Over the winter the air leaked out of the chambers but I ignored it. Took the boat out a couple weeks ago and opened her up and had a great day. Upon returning to the dock I discovered the new cover was nowhere to be found.

My partner asked if I had attached a safety rope. When I said I had not, her response was ya idiot.
                  2001 Bayliner 4788, Cummins 370's
                  Zodiac Yachtline 380, Yamaha 25hp
                  Sanger wakeboard boat
                  volunteer CA Delta tour guide

Comment

Secure your stuff! That’s always been drilled in to me except the other s word was used for stuff. Serious accidents can be caused by stuff flying out of boats and trucks.
                    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aDoerxecKF8
                    Esteban
                    B-ham!
                    Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Should the dealer have made sure they were snapped, yes. Who has the most to loose, you do.

Save me yourself the frustration and money and make sure items are secure for trailering.
                      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Reminds me when I set my friend's surfboard up on the car racks.
                        He didn't secure it and drove off. Lasted about 2 miles before it
                        flew off. My fault? His fault? I sure felt bad about it.

If I have anything to secure, I put in on the hood in front of the
                        driver's windshield until it is tied down. Good lesson to learn.
                        1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
                        7.4 Mercruiser
                        Still learning about other systems
                        and specs.

Comment

The ONLY reason I could even conceive of myself deserving a potential pass is that I never unlatched any of the seats, so to my mind they should have been locked in when the dealer prepped it for delivery. That being said - Secure your Sh!t certainly applies and hindsight absolutely tells me I should have checked em all. That being said, Bayliner has agreed as a show of customer good will they will send me new seats GRATIS. Now I just wish the weather would warm up and stay warmed up. I'm in SC and the weather keeps teasing me with better days and then snapping cold again!

Comment

Glad you had a happy ending. Well done Bayliner.
                            2001 Bayliner 4788, Cummins 370's
                            Zodiac Yachtline 380, Yamaha 25hp
                            Sanger wakeboard boat
                            volunteer CA Delta tour guide

Comment

When I picked up my boat (2017 E18), the dealer was very helpful in making sure that everything was secured inside the boat. I do not tow with the cover on. It is, however, the driver's responsibility to be sure his load is secured; just ask any truck driver who tows flatbeds, even though it is not necessarily his "job" to secure them, if something falls off the truck and does damage, it is his problem.

When I tow my e18, I always put the rear center cushion, the front center cushion, and the helm bolster in the truck. Everything else seems adequately secured to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X