Totalscan Transducer mounting location on 195DB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totalscan Transducer mounting location on 195DB

So since we bought our boat last year I have been looking for the best fish finder with gps. I have finally narrowed the choices down to one of 2
    but haven't bit the bullet on either one. Th first choice is a Lowrance elite 7ti, has a totalscan transducer with side and down imaging along with chirp. The second
    choice is a Simrad go7 XSE has same transducer that the elite 7 has, both units have the insight charts, for inland lakes and rivers. Both units also have bluetooth and wifi
    so you can use a tablet and or smartphone as a second screen.

Now on to the question where is the best place to mount the transducer on the 195DB? So does anyone here have one of these 2 units or a similar setup, and if so
    where did you mount the transducer and can you post some pics? The other question is does the transducer look funny off the back of the boat, because it is a long transducer?
    would do a shoot thru hull setup but this type of transducer has to be transom mounted according to every thing I have read.

I already mostly decided where I am going to mount the head unit, but have to wait till I actually purchase the unit to make the final decision.

Any info would be awesome thanks.
    FISHING ISNT A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH ITS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT.
    2016 Bayliner 195 deckboat
    220hp 4.3 MPI

If your not stoked about mounting it to your transom exterior put it in a ziplock bag full of water and set it in the bilge somewhere. You may find it works great in one of a few locations you try. If it works you can permanently installed there. I've done this with my chirp ducer and found it works fine however I have not mounted it permanently yet
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by Mrwalleyeman View Post
      I have finally narrowed the choices down to one of 2
      but haven't bit the bullet on either one. Th first choice is a Lowrance elite 7ti, has a totalscan transducer with side and down imaging along with chirp. The second
      choice is a Simrad go7 XSE has same transducer that the elite 7 has, both units have the insight charts, for inland lakes and rivers.
      Lowrance and Simrad (and B&G for sailboats) are the same company - Navico. Simrad is marketed more as saltwater and offshore gear, while Lowrance is marketed more as freshwater gear. Most people seem to be of the opinion that a lot of the Lowrance and Simrad fishfinders are actually the same internally running identical software with slight cosmetic differences in UI. But the Simrad exteriors seem to be more robustly built (a lot more metal) than the Lowrance exteriors (almost all-plastic). I haven't looked at the two units you've listed, but if they have the same screen size and functionality, I wouldn't at all be surprised if they were identical internally (they can even take each others' transducers and radars).

Both units also have bluetooth and wifi so you can use a tablet and or smartphone as a second screen.
      Be aware that that function is screen mirroring. You cannot for example display the GPS on the finder, and sonar on the tablet. Both screens have to show the same thing. I use it on my flybridge so I can mirror it inside the cabin. But it probably won't be very useful on a 19' boat. Technically it should be easy to write software for the tablet to show a different screen - the X Window system ubiquitous with Linux (which most of these units run internally) has been doing that since the 1990s. But I seriously doubt any chartplotter manufacturer will add that functionality since it would effectively cannibalize a sale of another unit.

If you want to display two (or more) different things at once, you'll probably want either a second unit, or a unit with a bigger (and higher resolution) screen.

Now on to the question where is the best place to mount the transducer on the 195DB? So does anyone here have one of these 2 units or a similar setup, and if so
      where did you mount the transducer and can you post some pics? The other question is does the transducer look funny off the back of the boat, because it is a long transducer?
      would do a shoot thru hull setup but this type of transducer has to be transom mounted according to every thing I have read.
      Regular sonar transducers (which shoot a cone straight down) can be used by shooting them through the hull. They generate a 1 dimensional image (a strip), and build up a 2D sonar image by drawing consecutive strips one after the other as the boat moves. Any distortion due to the sound traveling through the fiberglass doesn't really affect the output since each 1D strip is distorted the same way for each new strip. This is one of the reasons resolution is low - each 1D strip represents the entire cone for each moment in time.

The long totalscan transducer is actually multiple transducers mounted on both sides and along the length of the transducer. They use the difference in arrival times of echos to each sub-transducer to help build up a real 2D image. Consequently, shooting them through the hull will distort the image because the fiberglass one sub-transducer "sees" through will be different from the fiberglass another sub-transducer sees through. Basically it'll be like taking a picture through heat waves above asphalt on a hot day, while the regular sonar is like shining a laser through the same waves to light up a point. You can try it, but I suspect the degraded image quality will make it not worthwhile.

Also, downscan and sidescan operate at 455 kHz and 800 kHz. Significantly higher than the 80/200 kHz of regular sonars. They will be impeded and distorted by the fiberglass more. So yeah, a transom mount is pretty much your only option. If it's anything like my 2556, the sterndrive may create a shadow in the sidescan coverage. To avoid this, you might be able to mount it facing forward at the transom (so it sits underneath the boat). I gave some links to examples in the below thread. I emailed Navico about this and they said the only reason they don't recommend mounting it pointed forward is because a debris strike would destroy the transducer. With the regular (aft-pointing) transducer mount, a debris strike will kick the transducer up and away from harm. The HDS and NSS units have a setting which reverse left and right on the totalscan transducer if you want to mount it facing forward. The units you're looking at may have a similar setting.

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...138#post409138

I wasn't really sure about placement either (I have a HDS + structurescan 3D unit which has the same size transducer). I got a piece of starboard and made a transom mounting plate. Drilled holes and screwed that to my transom. Then I screw the transducer into the starboard. This way if I have to move the transducer around (which I have had to do), I don't have to drill more holes into the hull.

http://www.smithmountainstriperclub....mounting-plate
      1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

Great information! I just purchased 2 9" ESS EVO3's and deciding on which transducer(s) to run to get the most out of my setup. Heard the total scan is a great all one transducer, but heard there is limitations on on showing chirp or sidescan at the same time? I was thinking of looking at 2 transducers.
        2004 Trophy 2359
        5.7 liter Carb
        Alpha
        15 hp Merc Kicker

Comment

• Solandri
          Solandri commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the problem in a two-head unit setup is that the Totalscan transducer only provides a single output for all sonar outputs (regular, CHIRP, downscan, sidescan). Consequently, only the MFD you plug the transducer into can display all those. In other words, you can display a chart and GPS on one MFD and sonar on the other. But you cannot show regular sonar on one MFD and sidescan on the other. (Dunno if the Structurescan 3D overcomes this. Its downscan and sidescan sonar processing is done by an external unit, and is relayed to the MFD(s) via ethernet. Of course it has a separate 80/200 transducer anyway, though I suppose I could display a 3D view on one MFD, sidescan on another.)

You should be able to bypass the problem (if it's a problem for you) with a second 80/200 CHIRP transducer. Probably a good idea anyway if your boat is oceangoing -
          the Totalscan is only 500 Watts so you'll only be able to ping to about 600-1000 ft, while the EVO3s can drive up to a 1500 Watt transducer. I believe they recommend you mount the 80/200 transducer within 1 ft of the Totalscan transducer, because part of the Totalscan's functionality relies on echos from the 80/200. You'll probably also have to disable the Totalscan's 80/200 transducer in the settings to avoid a frequency conflict.

Thanks for the replies guys. Solandri thanks for the info and the links, I have read a lot of what you have posted somewhere on the web, and gotten the info from sales people at places like West Marine and Cabelas.
        I have only been able to actually look at and mess around with the Lowrance Elite 7ti but not the Simrad Go7XSE because none of the marine shops or sporting goods stores have the Simrad in store. All the sales people have said that the UI is pretty close to the same on both units minus a few things on one or the other. I know that as Builderdude mentioned that shooting thru the hull works great with a chirp transducer but have read, and from talking to the sales people that it would not work with the Totalscan transducer (that would be the way I would go if I was doing just a chirp transducer).

I will check the links on the other post that you put a link to Solandri. I don't think that mounting the transducer underneath facing forward will work for me, the reason is the lake that I mainly fish is full of debris early in the spring. I don't want it to get ripped apart. but will look into that Starboard stuff that was mentioned in one of the links in the other post, Cabelas has something similar to that in a kit with the epoxy and the plastic or whatever its made out of. Fortunately I still have 3 weeks before I will be getting the boat dewinterized, then a week after that before we go on our annual spring break fishing/camping trip with the wife and kids.
        220hp 4.3 MPI

Comment

So I finally made the purchase of the new fish finder. I bought the Simrad go7 XSE with totalscan transducer at West Marine normally $649 but got in on sale for $549. Now I'm still researching transducer mounting options. I won't be installing it until next weekend, because I haven't had the boat summarized yet, and want to wait till its ready to go for the spring and summer.
          220hp 4.3 MPI

Comment

Working...
          X