Guide ons for e16 trailer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guide ons for e16 trailer?

It seems that no matter if my trailer is in deep or shallow I struggle with getting my new Element e16 on the trailer without making 3 or 4 embarrassing failed attempts at the launch ramp. I thought the M hull was supposed to be super easy to trailer but I'm now psyched out so I'm appealing to the good folks here for input. I would like to add guide ons to the trailer but I'm not sure what kind to purchase. We use the boat a lot at night and cross winds are typical at our boat ramp. What type of guide ons would be the best for the e16 and Karavan trailer?

Thank you,
    Rip in Nevada
    Rip in Nevada
    2017 Element e16

Hey Rip - Welcome to the puddle!! . . . at least our version of it! Guide-0ns are really easy to construct. Here's a commercial pair: http://www.veveinc.com/shop/Post-Gui...zed-model.html but you can do your own. Just use a galvanized elbow attached to the bottom of the trailer and then put a piece of PVC over the top so that boat doesn't get marked (the PVC rotates as the boat is going on or going out) . .. easy peasy . . . have a good one!
    1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
    Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
    WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
    James H. Stradling

Comment

Agree w dad, the pole guides should do the trick with keeping the boat from drifting sideways.
      I use them on my 2556.
      Don't put the trailer in so deep that the bow wants to float away during retrieval.
      Find the sweet spot when launching, the stern should float up while there's still enough friction between the bow area of the hull and the forward portion of the trailer, enough to hold the boat steady while the stern floats, then just a touch deeper. Take note as to how far under or above the water the trailer fenders are, this should get ya close to the sweet spot for retrieval. 2-3 times you'll have it nailed.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Thanks Dad and builder! I'll install some pole guides and reclaim my machismo as I glide onto the trailer after my next trip to the lake.
        Rip in Nevada
        2017 Element e16

Comment

Hi Rip, don't give up, if you search you will find you are not the only one who initially has difficulty in loading an Element on a trailer. The secret is not to put the trailer too deep into the water. Try leaving about a third of the bunks above water level at first. Then the hull shape will act as a guide to locate the boat correctly. Once locked into the bunks, winch on. You don't need guides. After a couple of practices you will find it very easy to load.
          incidently thanks for your post re Anchor Shock. Ive ordered one myself to try.
          Enjoy your new boat.
          Peter Walter-Smith
          Riverport of Goolwa, South Australia
          2014 Bayliner Element XL
          115HP Mercury EFI

Comment

Oops, hey Rip . . . . just saw a reference to the bunks and that clicked the light switch in my feeble ole' brain - make sure that you lower the trailer ALL THE WAY into the water before retrieving the boat and then bring it back up to proper depth on your wheels (or whatever item you are using for the measuring stick of "how deep to go").
            You need to have the carpet and coverings on the bunks wet before you try to start sliding that heavy ole' boat on them.
            1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
            Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
            WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
            James H. Stradling

Comment

The Karavan customer service rep recommended bunk style guides because they offer "additional support". Since I'm more interested in something to "corral" the boat onto the trailer so the boat and trailer can connect properly and I'm not really concerned with additional support, I'm going with the 48" pole style guides. I'll definitely dunk the bunks prior to loading and I'll implement all other suggestions offered here. Thanks again for your input!
              Rip in Nevada
              2017 Element e16

Comment

These types of guide on's I installed on my trailer....One thing you might do if you cannot get your bunks completely submerged is to wet the bunks down prior to loading, it does make a difference.

Comment

I have used my boat six times, the last time with newly installed guide posts. On a windy day it loaded on the first try. Time will tell if it was just luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbo View Post
                    I have used my boat six times, the last time with newly installed guide posts. On a windy day it loaded on the first try. Time will tell if it was just luck.
                    Me too!
                    Rip in Nevada
                    2017 Element e16

Comment

Hey Rip. Do you have a link to those guide poles you bought? I like them. However, where I park my boat is a narrow tight fit (width-wise) Do the new guide poles make the overall width of the trailer any wider? Do they stick out past the fender and if so any idea how much?

Comment

• Carbo
                        Carbo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Mine are smith 40”, they don’t stick out.

You can adjust the width to suit your needs. I have mine equal to the outside of each fender. Below is the Amazon info. I ordered the 60" tall and they are perfect for my needs. If you use the red caps that are included for top of each pole I encourage you to drill a hole in the center of each one as a relief hole to keep them from blowing up and off from water pressure.
                      Rip in Nevada
                      2017 Element e16

Comment

Excellent. As long as I can keep the poles within the width of the fenders, I am golden. I ordered some. You've been so helpful!

Comment

Guide on poles really help when it's windy, if you can get just a foot or two of the bow in front of one, and you're crooked, just turn the wheel toward that pole and give it some throttle and the stern will come around and you can then straighten out and drive right onto your trailer. It's like docking and you have someone tie off the front cleat and then turn the wheel like you want to turn away from the dock and the stern swings right over to the dock. A buddy whose been boating forever taught me both, very helpful.
                          2016 E18 115 Merc

Comment

I put 40” guide posts from west Marine on last week. Easy loading so far.

Comment

Working...
                            X