Hitch ball height for an Element E16?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitch ball height for an Element E16?

Hello all, I finally did it! I ordered and Element E16 with the 75Hp. However my dealer is too lazy to give me the proper hitch ball height. Can anyone who set up their trailer tongue to be level when attached to tow vehicle tell me how many inches to top of ball is correct? And what size ball just in case the dealer didn't look at that either. Thanks.
    Last edited by ksanders; 12-14-2017, 08:30 PM.
    "The Profit"
    Sunny Florida
    2018 E16 75 hp: Corrected Center of Gravity, Very Dry Sponsons with Drains, SC1000 Gauge, Bennett SLT10 trim tabs, Racor Fuel/Water Separator.

I recently purchased a new Element E16 with the 60hp Merc Command Thrust and it's sitting on a Karavan Galvanized trailer with 13" wheels. I called Karavan Trailers, Inc at 920-928-6200 to obtain the accurate measurement. They asked for the serial number of my trailer and they looked up the specs and said it was 19.8 inches from the floor to the bottom of the coupler on my trailer. You might try calling the trailer manufacturer to obtain the correct measurement for your trailer. My hitch ball is a 2 incher. Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy your new toy!

Rip
    Rip in Nevada
    2017 Element e16

Comment

Thanks Rip,
      Great information. I have learned may more on this forum than talking to multiple dealers and the Bayliner website.
      Also I wish this was only a toy. It has grown into a full blown obsession. At times I feel it would be helpful to be part of some kind of support group. It would probably go something like this, "Hi I'm Tim and I have dreams of boating. I have let it affect my marriage, my job, my finances and I need help. I tried to quit many times but it just has a hold on me."
      The Profit.
      "The Profit"
      Sunny Florida
      2018 E16 75 hp: Corrected Center of Gravity, Very Dry Sponsons with Drains, SC1000 Gauge, Bennett SLT10 trim tabs, Racor Fuel/Water Separator.

Comment

Originally posted by The profit View Post
        Thanks Rip,
        Great information. I have learned may more on this forum than talking to multiple dealers and the Bayliner website.
        Also I wish this was only a toy. It has grown into a full blown obsession. At times I feel it would be helpful to be part of some kind of support group. It would probably go something like this, "Hi I'm Tim and I have dreams of boating. I have let it affect my marriage, my job, my finances and I need help. I tried to quit many times but it just has a hold on me."
        The Profit.
        It's a disease, and you have been afflicted...
        Jeff & Tara
        (And Ginger too)
        Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
        "GetAway"
        Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Easily found on google:

https://youtu.be/Dgmo5w7ddVw

Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

Comment

• The profit
            The profit commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the information. But I don't have access to the trailer and I doubt that the boat dealer is going to have the correct ball mount available for when I am taking delivery of the boat.

I would wait until the trailer arrives at the dealer. Trailer manufacturers use different suppliers for axles, springs, etc. This will often result in similar trailers having different heights. For example, a person at my marina has a Boston Whaler identical to mine, with the same OEM trailer, made by the same manufacturer. Yet, my trailer sits higher than his. When we looked at them in detail we noticed that the axle manufacturers were different.
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

Various ball mounts are available at Wal Mart, West Marine and most auto parts stores. If you have to guess, try 21 inches.
            Jeff & Tara
            (And Ginger too)
            Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
            "GetAway"
            Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by The profit View Post
              Hello all, I finally did it! I ordered and Element E16 with the 75Hp. However my dealer is too lazy to give me the proper hitch ball height. Can anyone who set up their trailer tongue to be level when attached to tow vehicle tell me how many inches to top of ball is correct? And what size ball just in case the dealer didn't look at that either. Thanks.
              GO onto Boattrader, and filter on new boats. Pull up the Bayliner e16s within, say, a 250 mile radius. Find the boat at another dealer...preferably one that is already in the showroom on a trailer. Call that dealer, ask them to set the trailer to dead level, and measure the distance from the ground to the top of the hitch.

This is literally a 30 second ask for a dealer with a boat in the showroom, you don't need to continue dealing with your current dealer, and you will get an accurate measurement.
              Matt Train
              BOC Site Team
              Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Hello all, thanks for the information. I got the Bayliner dealer to give me the trailer make and model. Then I called the trailer manufacture and asked them for height when level. The rep at Karavan said that he could give me a close estimate but warned that the trailer model I gave him was a Karavan number and not Bayliner's model number. So the number was 19" but my truck hitch will drop about 2" with the load so I need to factor that in. Does this seam logical? The top of the receiver hole is 15.75" with no load. With load should be around 13.75". So I am looking for a ball mount that will raise the ball 5.25"? Sounds like a lot! Some of you gave the advise to wait until the boat is in and then measure for myself. Cool, but the dealer is remote and I don't recall seeing a mount that will raise the ball 5.25" at Walmart, Auto Zone or West Marine. Maybe I should have the dealer measure when it arrives, but I may have to special order a mount this radical. Maybe get an adjustable mount?
                Thanks,
                The Profit
                "The Profit"
                Sunny Florida

Comment

Ball height is not as crucial for single-axle trailers. The axle is bearing the boat's entire weight (minus tongue weight) regardless of what angle the trailer is at. The only thing you have to worry about is that it's not tilted so far as to make the boat likely to shift (forward or back) during transport.

The height is very important on dual and triple-axle trailers. The height determines the load distribution between the multiple axles, so you have to get it close to level to get each axle to bear the same amount of weight. This is important because the maximum weight rating of the trailer only applies if each axle is carrying the same amount of load.

16" is about standard for the top of the receiver hole on vans and light trucks. The bigger pickup trucks are higher (22" or 24" I think?). I'm guessing trailer manufacturers just split the difference to make sure the trailer is "compatible" with both heights. So yes you will need a rise mount. (It's actually a drop hitch flipped upside down. Unless you've got a workbench with a good clamp and a huge plumber's wrench, be prepared for some fun trying to unscrew the ball so you can reverse it. They're usually sold in the drop configuration. I visited a half dozen mechanics around town before finally finding one with equipment which could unscrew mine. If you're buying the ball separate, you're supposed to torque it to a really huge amount - like 250 or 450 ft-lbs - to prevent it from loosening while towing. So hope you have a hefty torque wrench.)

A 4" rise will probably be fine assuming it's a single axle trailer. Like I said, height matters more for multi-axle trailers. Not so much for single axle trailers. Your main concern will probably be making sure the chains don't drag on the road.

Edit: The adjustable mounts tend to be weaker because they have right angles between the upper and lower portions. The stress concentrations are right at the corners of those right angles. Couple that with it not even being a solid connection at those points (just a movable bar) and the stress gets concentrated along a line right in the corner. If you do get one, make sure it's steel. Someone on another board did a FEM analysis of an adjustable aluminum mount, and even if you made it out of solid aluminum it wouldn't be strong enough to withstand the rated stresses at the lowest drop/highest rise settings.
                  1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

Working...
                  X