Sea Ray (the brand) for sale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sea Ray (the brand) for sale

I just read the following. Without the need for differentiation from Sea Ray, this could mean a price increase for Bayliner. Whether or not Brunswick does anything to justify the price increase, if it occurs, is anybody's guess.

https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...l-Sea-Ray.html

"December 05, 2017 15:01 ET | Source: Brunswick Corporation
    METTAWA, Ill. - Dec. 5, 2017 - Brunswick Corporation (NYSE: BC) today announced it intends to sell Sea Ray, one of the 15 brands that comprise the Brunswick Boat Group. Lazard's middle market advisory group is acting as Brunswick's investment banker for this transaction, which is expected to be completed in the first half of 2018.

"Our marine strategy is focused on developing, manufacturing and distributing market-leading products to recreational and commercial marine consumers through our portfolio of engine, boat and parts and accessories businesses," Brunswick Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Mark Schwabero explained. "This decision was made after careful consideration, and reflects the evolving contribution that the Sea Ray brand has made to our marine portfolio.

"Our remaining brands will continue to be important elements of a robust, balanced marine business, with our boat portfolio serving healthy, expanding market segments," Schwabero explained. "This more focused strategy will provide the best opportunities for growth and will complement our other marine offerings, including engines, parts and accessories. This shift will also improve our risk and margin profile and is consistent with our commitment to drive shareholder value.

"We believe that the Sea Ray business, through its leading brand and exciting product line, offers attractive value creation opportunities to a new owner," Schwabero added. "Sea Ray is an iconic brand that is rich with history, with a reputation for craftsmanship, quality and styling. Sea Ray's manufacturing facilities are among the most advanced in the marine industry, with talented and dedicated workforces."

During the sale process, "we will continue to diligently manage Sea Ray by executing its business and product plans in support of our dealers and customers," Schwabero concluded.

Brunswick will report the results of Sea Ray, as well as its Meridian boat brand, as discontinued operations for accounting purposes going forward. Finally, Brunswick is reaffirming its recent EPS guidance and target ranges for 2017, 2018 and the 2020 plan."

There is more info in the linked article.

we had a sea ray 200 sundeck...best boat I've ever owned. we sold it 2 years ago and went boat shopping recently because we missed it so much. Checked out the new sea rays and prices started around $67k for something in the 20 foot category and the boat actually(to me anyway) looked less appealing and more cheaply made than the 2004 we just sold. The prices for boats is crazy. Anyway bought a brand new 17 F18 and cant wait to get it in the water this spring. Wish sea ray well and actually read somewhere that they helped to revamp bayliners boat manufacturing processes several years ago to bring them up to par with the rest of the industry

Comment

The smaller SR models have been sold at little or no margin to compete with with Bayliner. Andy stopped this when the 175 & 185 SR models were dropped. The original plan for Reynosa was to build small boats for SR and Bayliner.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodiver View Post
        The smaller SR models have been sold at little or no margin to compete with with Bayliner. Andy stopped this when the 175 & 185 SR models were dropped. The original plan for Reynosa was to build small boats for SR and Bayliner.
        That's already happening.

I have a picture from the Reynosa plant (which I won't share out of respect to some friends still working in Brunswick) that clearly shows a Bayliner VR being assembled next to a Sea Ray 21 SPX.

I believe all SRs 23 feet and up come out of Vonore, TN.

The problem with the SPX boats is they are inferior to the Bayliner VRs. They have quality issues, poor layouts, high cost, and shallow deadrise. They are also lacking on power choices - while they offer the cool new 4.5L V6, you cannot get a Bravo drive on any of them, unlike the Bayliner VR6.

Being as delicate as I possibly can, I personally would not buy a SR right now regardless of size. All opinions my own and not reflective of the BOC or Brunswick, which the BOC is not affiliated with in any way.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

My guess is the VR was developed by the BC Globel Ops group, mainly ex Bayliner PDE people.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodiver View Post
            My guess is the VR was developed by the BC Globel Ops group, mainly ex Bayliner PDE people.
            Nope.
            Matt Train
            BOC Site Team
            Chicagoland, IL

Comment

very sad, for years I've regarded sea rays as possibly the best of the mass produced boats out there. oh well, nothing stands still, whats great today sucks tomorrow and vice versa

Comment

Unfortunately my father-in-law recently passed away unexpectedly right before the holidays. As I am sort of the "most like him" son-in-law and certainly the closest to him we spent many, many hours on his boats both here in Michigan and Florida. I have just learned that he has given me his 1987 Sea Ray 300 in his will. This boat is in great shape, got whatever it needed when it needed it, and is literally a "tank" on the waters of Lake Erie, running out of Gibraltar Michigan. I will certainly maintain it and keep this old girl running strong in his memory...
                Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
                2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
                1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

Originally posted by RobMick View Post
                  Unfortunately my father-in-law recently passed away unexpectedly right before the holidays. As I am sort of the "most like him" son-in-law and certainly the closest to him we spent many, many hours on his boats both here in Michigan and Florida. I have just learned that he has given me his 1987 Sea Ray 300 in his will. This boat is in great shape, got whatever it needed when it needed it, and is literally a "tank" on the waters of Lake Erie, running out of Gibraltar Michigan. I will certainly maintain it and keep this old girl running strong in his memory...
                  Great boat.
                  Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

Comment

Originally posted by RobMick View Post
                    Sorry to hear about the loss of your FIL. Looks like a very nice boat he left to you. Hope you have lots of great and fun time aboard and I am sure that each time you board her thoughts of him will be on your mind.
                    Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
                    West River Yacht & Cruising Club
                    www.wrycc.com

Comment

Sorry to hear Rob, your FIL definitely took great pride in that SR, looks bran new!
                      Dave
                      Edmonds, WA
                      "THE FIX"
                      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                      Misc. projects thread
                      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Sorry for your loss Rob, he sounds like a kindred spirit. The boat reminds me of my first cruiser, a 1988 Sea Ray 268 Sundancer...
                        Jeff & Tara
                        (And Ginger too)
                        Lake Havasu City, AZ
                        sigpic
                        2000 Bayliner 2858
                        "GETAWAY"
                        MMSI: 338094599
                        In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Rob Mickovic added 31 new photos.

December 2, 2017 ยท
                          Yesterday, suddenly, this world lost a true gentlemen. My father-in-law Bob Adams passed away and now watches over us. The most sincere, kind, gentle man I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. My golf partner for the last 5 years, my 1st mate when on our chain of lakes, and I his 1st mate when on Lake Erie. He loved being on the water whether it was just heading out to the boat to have lunch while docked or jet skiing at the young age of 87. He was soft spoken, but when he spoke you listened intently. I will truly miss "Air Force 1" landing in our driveway every Sunday and him saying "let's take a boat ride". Loading up the pontoon with no less than 6 dogs and enough food and snacks to stay out on the lake for a week. I am so fortunate and grateful to have had him in my life not just as a father-in-law, but as my peer, a true friend, a sounding board, an endless encyclopedia of real life knowledge and experience, a man who is looked at and thought of with great respect and admiration by all who have met him, and a living "Legend" within the Ford automotive world. I hope that at the end of the day, I can leave this life and make an everlasting mark in someone's life as he has in mine. "Dad" you will forever be missed, but just the thought of our time together will bring a smile to my face and a tear of joy and thankfulness that you were in my life.
                          Image may contain: sky and outdoor
                          No automatic alt text available.
                          Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
                          2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                          1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                          1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
                          1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                          1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                          1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                          1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

Sincere condolences on your loss, Rob.

Matt Train
                            BOC Site Team
                            Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Rob sorry for you and your family's loss. A good man has ascended from Hell (Michigan) to heaven.
                              1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X