Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remove fuel tanks from boat to fill them?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove fuel tanks from boat to fill them?!

I was reading my manual for my E18 which has the two removable / portable fuel tanks- it says on page 45 to "Remove the portable fuel tanks from the boat to fill them." Should I do that even when fueling at a fuel dock?? I'm thinking because they don't want fumes getting into the storage areas or?
    Attached Files
    2017 E18 115 Merc

I wouldn't even think twice about it, honestly. Those tanks are sealed and you have that compartment open when you are refilling.
    Matt Train
    BOC Site Team
    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Good question. The bottom of the compartment is sealed so fumes won't in theory, get into any storage areas. There is ventilation higher up in the compartment, so fumes should be able to escape from the sealed compartment, except that fumes are heavier than air so some might remain. Also, if you spill while filling the tanks, then the fuel just sits in the bottom of the compartment, fuming away, until it evaporates.

All that having been said, it's a PITA to remove the tanks and then replace them when full. The 12 gallon tank weighs about 75-80 pounds. So, I don't remove them, and am careful not to spill. The one time I spilled while filling I took an extra 15 minutes to remove the tanks and wipe up the fuel. Fortunately there was no water in the compartment, otherwise I would have had to pump everything out with a hand pump (NOT AN ELECTRIC PUMP!!!, unless a gasoline transfer pump), then wipe up.

As an aside, there is absolutely no smoking permitted on any of my boats, ever.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. One real advantage I see is the storage place is 1/2 mile from home and a non-ethanol station is only 2 miles, so I could remove the night before, fill, have my son help me to re-board them and be ready for an early start.

I did do a search on this topic and found quite a bit that devolved into discussion about static electricity and marina laws etc, which are good topics but not what I was looking for.
        2017 E18 115 Merc

Comment

When the Element was introduced, it was strongly implied that the tanks could be filled either in place or removed for convenience.
          Matt Train
          BOC Site Team
          Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Way to heavy once filled with fuel to move. I use a 20 litre fuel container and fill up the tanks in the garage before i hit the water.
            Bayliner Element XL 2015
            Australia

Comment

Lawyers are in charge. They review the manuals, and then cover their own behinds.

Fill then tanks onboard at a gas station easy peasy, don't have to fill fast, you can slow the nozzle down. Watch as the tank fills, and don't over fill.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Comment

Yeap, I do that too chief.
                Anything like we have discussed is better then taking out the tanks to fill.
                Bayliner Element XL 2015
                Australia

Comment

Working...
                X