fitting out new Element E16-gctid827697

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fitting out new Element E16-gctid827697

I'm a new boater and need some advice on fitting out my new boat. I'm figuring on the following: a couple of type 2 life jackets, a throwable device, a canned air signaling horn, a couple of boat fenders, a couple of mooring lines (for tying up to the launch dock), a hand held marine radio, and an anchor system. Let me know if I'm forgetting something. I need advice or recommendations for fender size, line lengths and diameters, radio recommendations, and, most importantly, an anchor system. I'll be using the boat mostly on the Mokulmne, San Joaquin, and Sacramento rivers as well as the sloughs and such. I'm assuming that the bottoms of these waterways are mostly sand or mud, but I'm not sure. I'll be anchoring only for lunch breaks (no overnights) or engine out emergencies. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I take delivery of my Element next week and have a lot to learn.

Thanks,

Kim
    I should have been a pair of ragged claws
    Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

West Marine is your friend. But before you go there with your dollars, wait to see what the dealer provides. They'll usually outfit you with the bare minimums, then hit West Marine. They used to offer a discount on your first purchase outfitting a new boat, ask for it.
    Jeff & Tara
    (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    sigpic
    2000 Bayliner 2858
    "GETAWAY"
    MMSI: 338094599
    In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Handheld brands to consider...Uniden,Standard Horizon and Icom. Make sure you purchase one that is water proof and floats, you should be able to purchase one between $150-200. Another thing to consider is a depth finder with GPS mapping, depending on how much room you have at the helm a Lowerance Hook 4 or 5 with that option should work just fine. As Jeff mentioned West Marine will have everything you need, There is a BassPro Shops store in Rocklin that also has everything your looking for. Would not hurt to purchase some waterproof charts for the area that you are planning on boating in.

Comment

Are paddle(s) / oar(s) a requirement in your area?

Might be good to consider anyway.

As posted above, many dealers will provide a kit to suit the legal requirements for the size of boat and the location delivered.

Comment

Most of the dealers in my area provide a coast guard kit (a few life jackets, throwable, flares, etc.), lines, anchor, fenders, etc. when you buy a new boat. Check with your dealer to see what they are gonna include.

You should always have enough life jackets for all on board.

If you haven't already, please take a boaters safety course BEFORE you take delivery. Also, most jurisdictions have a small pamphlet which explains local boaters safety regs, common sense, etc. Should be available at your dealer, local coast guard auxiliary or power squadron, etc.

As for other stuff....it depends on many things...training and experience will help you indentify what you need.

Comment

Fire extinguisher.
            Lake Memphremagog, Newport, VT
            2015 Bayliner 175 BR
            Mercruiser 135/3.0 MPI Alpha One

Comment

Thanks for all the good info, guys. A couple more questions if you will: West Marine sells anchor kits (anchor, chain, and rode). Looks like either a 4lb or 8lb Danforth style anchor will work for my 16' Element. Which would you guys recommend? Also, My enclosed storage facility doesn't have electricity so I won't be able to use a battery tender. Should I pull the battery and charge it at home if I'm not going to use the boat for a couple of weeks? What do you all do?

Kim

Comment

"claws" post=827825 wrote:
                Thanks for all the good info, guys. A couple more questions if you will: West Marine sells anchor kits (anchor, chain, and rode). Looks like either a 4lb or 8lb Danforth style anchor will work for my 16' Element. Which would you guys recommend? Also, My enclosed storage facility doesn't have electricity so I won't be able to use a battery tender. Should I pull the battery and charge it at home if I'm not going to use the boat for a couple of weeks? What do you all do?

Kim
                All my boats have come with anchors supplied by dealers. Nto sure what my e18 came with.....probably an 8. I like to have a little more anchor than I will need...it's kind of important. I have two anchors on both boats....second anchor is handy for anchoring off a beach, or "just in case."

If you are getting a radio, then you will also have a battery switch that you can turn off when you leave the boat. A good battery should be able to sit for months while holding a charge. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are gonna leave it for over a month, and even then I would carry one of those jumpstart boxes with me rather than schlepping the battery back and forth.

A few years ago a group 24 battery sat over the winter in my boat (disconnected) from November to March. Before I charged it in March I decided to give it a try....it started my 6.2L mercruiser with no problems.....

Comment

Thanks 610....

The battery is one less thing to worry about now. Do you tie off your anchor to one of the forward port or starboard cleats or did you install a bow cleat?

Kim

Comment

"claws" post=827868 wrote:
                    Thanks 610....

The battery is one less thing to worry about now. Do you tie off your anchor to one of the forward port or starboard cleats or did you install a bow cleat?

Kim
                    I will usually just use one of the existing cleats, but if it is windy or for some reason I want a straight center pull, I just run a loop through the bow eye, and then tie off to one of the bow cleats. It is not elegant, but quite effective. I would not add a bow cleat; if I wanted something more elegant to center the anchor line, I might install a pair of bow chocks.

Comment

Thanks again 610....

Another problem solved.

Comment

As mentioned, it's very important to turn the "red key", located near the battery to the "off" position when not using the boat for a while. The reason is that the radio uses power 24/7 even when turned off. However, if the boat will remain in the water for a period of time, make sure the boat has an "automatic" bilge pump that is connected DIRECTLY to the battery. This will allow the pump to work even when the red key is in the "off" position.
                        Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
                        2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
                        12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Comment

if your element doesn't have the factory stereo you won't have a red key. Ask me how much time I spent searching for mine :-)

Comment

Working...
                          X